of Chapel Street, at the corner of Dutcher. That's the lot where the Draper gas station
used to be. The school shown on the other side of Chapel was the Chapel Street
School. The pond to the left was usually called the Lower Pond. In the early years, it
provided power for the Dutcher Temple Company. It was drained, probably in the
1890s, when water power was no longer being used, and the room was needed for
the expanding Draper business. Click here to see the entire 1870 map of Hopedale.