building with an enclosed walkway. The roof of that walkway is visible in this picture. (red circle) Part of The Little Red Shop is blocked by an addition
to it. The Chapel Street School can be seen beyond the shop slightly to the left of the middle of the photo. The boarding house called the Hopedale
House, now the apartment house across from the fire station, can be seen to the right of the stacks. This picture was taken by William H. Barney.
Barney was the manager of Hopedale Coal and Ice Company and took pictures in town between 1890 and 1910. He took many of the photos that
were used in the Images of America book, Hopedale. They were loaned to us by Arthur Allen. Barney's son, William, has provided us with some
interesting information about his father's pictures, and several quotes from his letters can be found elsewhere in this site. When the photo above
was taken, there was no cupola on the Little Red Shop. Click on Next (below) to see what appears to be the original location of the cupola.
Next Red Shop Menu. HOME