Arthur B. Hall, Jr.

    HOPEDALE MAN WOUNDED – was the byline in a short Milford Daily News article in the April 23, 1945

    The article went on to say that US Marine, Arthur (Art) B. Hall, Jr., 25 years, of Hopedale suffered
    wounds to the head and thumb and was on his way to another island for recuperation.

    The actual event, according to his son, Bill, had a few more moving parts. The incident occurred on
    April 2, 1945 when a Japanese soldier, most likely an officer, came rushing into the Marine
    encampment with his saber out swinging it to kill the first Marine he came upon.  The closest Marine
    was Art Hall.  But Art’s fellow Marines yelled out in time for Art to stick his M-1 into the air which thus
    deflected the strike of the saber down the length of the rifle where it sliced open Art’s thumb.  At the
    same time of the strike another Marine raised his rifle and fired at the Japanese soldier.

    While the Japanese soldier was instantly killed; because that soldier was behind Art, the bullet
    crossed through the skin, hair and small portion of the bone of Art’s head.

    The wounds were not severe as correctly reported in the news article and, yes, Art Hall was sent for
    recuperation which lasted no more than a handful of days before Art was shipped out to the next battle.

    Because of Art Hall being wounded, the Headquarters U. S. Marine Corps, three weeks after the event,
    sent an April 28, 1945 Western Union Telegram to Ethel Hall (Art’s wife) in Hopedale telling her of the
    shrapnel wounds to the head and thumb on April 2, 1945.  There was no shrapnel involved, as Art
    would later tell him family.  The telegram went on to say nothing about how serious the wounds were or
    where Art was at that time.  Ethel told the story on a number of occasions of the knock on the door, a
    telegram telling of wounds, but nothing at all as to the seriousness or where Art was.  But, as she said
    with a laugh, they did ask me to inform them of any change in my address!

    The saber of the Japanese officer was saved and Art was allowed to send it home.  The Milford Daily
    News reported on July 16, 1945 that the saber would be on display in the Inches Store.

    Art Hall only served about 18 months in the Marine Corps in that he entered the Corps in May 1944 and
    was honorably discharged in December 1945 in that the war in the Pacific had ended on September 2,
    1945 – VJ Day.

    Art served in Guadalcanal, Okinawa and Yokosuka, Japan.  Elements of the 4th Regiment of the 6th
    Marine Division were sent to Yokosuka after VJ Day and that included a portion of Art’s 4th Regiment.

    Art, as a Marine in the 1st Battalion, 4th Regiment of the 6th Marine Division, received the Purple Heat
    and he and his Division and Regiment were awarded the following:

    •        Presidential Unit Citation – Okinawa
    •        American Campaign Medal
    •        WWII Medal
    •        Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal

    See articles and pictures.

Veterans' Menu                     HOME   

Thanks to Arthur's son, Bill, for sending the material on this page.