January 1, 2007
    Hopedale History
    No. 75
    Sacred Heart Church

    How low did it go? See Hopedale Pond in December.   

    New construction at Bancroft Park     

    Returnable bottle, can drive, to benefit Hopedale Youth Baseball, High School parking lot, Saturday,
    January 6, 8 to 2.

    Saltbox Road and Parklands west of the railroad tracks.


                                                                   *******************************

                                Former School Will Be Sold To Draper Corp.  
                     
                          Hopedale Special Town Meeting O.Ks Article By Unanimous Vote  

                                                 Small House To Go With School Building
                                               to Be Remodeled And Presented to Bishop  

    HOPEDALE, June 25 [1935] - The former Hopedale High School building on Hopedale Street today at
    a special town meeting was unanimously voted to be sold by the selectmen to the Draper Corp. for
    the minimum price of $100, in order that the corporation may present the building, remodeled, to the
    Roman Catholic bishop of Springfield for  parish purposes. The meeting was attended by 19 voters
    and lasted about 10 minutes.  

      Following the election of C. Fred Butterworth as moderator, article 2 was immediately taken up and
    voted. The article: To see if the Town will vote to sell and convey to the Draper Corp.that tract of land
    on the easterly side of Hopedale Street, formerly used for school purposes, to the Town of Hopedale,
    or take any other action with relation to the foregoing.  

      Last week announcement was made by the Draper Corp. officials of the plans to turn over the
    property to the bishop for parish purposes and by this will enable Hopedale residents of Catholic faith
    to have a church of their own in the near future. The new church will serve Catholic residents of
    Hopedale, Mendon and adjacent territory.  

      The school was constructed in 1887 and the first class to graduate was in the following year. Until a
    few years ago the building was used as the Hopedale High School.  

      When the property is turned over to the bishop a small house, situated near the school and which
    has been in the possession of the Draper Corp. many years, will also be included in the transfer.
    Milford Daily News

                                           Hopedale Church Presented Gifts
                               Mr. and Mrs. B.H.B.  Draper Give Beautiful Alter

    HOPEDALE, December 26 [1936] - Rev. John P Donahue, pastor of Sacred Heart Church, announced
    at all masses Christmas morning that two gifts had been made to the parish. One was a beautiful
    altar, dedicated to the Sacred Heart, the gift of Mr. and Mrs. B.H. Bristow Draper, and the other a holy
    water fount, made and presented by Nerrino A. Cirioni, 183 Mendon Street.

      The altar of oak, matching in tone the main altar, with antique gold candle sticks, occupies a niche
    on the east side of the auditorium. The background of tapestry in scarlet and gold enhances its
    beauty and casts a warm glow over the life size statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Gold leaf, used
    with infinite artistry on the oak, dignifies its sim- End of clipping.  Milford Daily News

    The high school building continued in use as Sacred Heart Church until the present church was
    completed in 1964. The old building was razed in 1987.

    Click here to see the articles above with pictures.   Now and Then - Hopedale High School - Sacred
    Heart Church.  

    Recent deaths:

    Dr. John Scalzi, 91, Easton, Maryland, HHS 1934.

    Joyce Ripley, 77, Reno, Nevada, HHS 1946

    James Neuding, 53, Milford.

                                                     
Hopedale History Ezine Menu                        HOME   

.