Boston Post - August 19, 1910
February 1, 2013
President Visits Hopedale
Hopedale in January
The Driftway and Cutler Street, c. 1950.
Arthur Joy Draper
Mendon Bake House, c. 1810
Draper memories of Ron L’Heureux – Ron was in the Draper apprentice school in the 1960s.
Lots of independent small town movie theaters are disappearing due to the very expensive switch to
digital projection. Here’s an appeal to save one, sent by Dave Atkinson.
During the past two weeks I’ve made additions to the following pages: Fanny Osgood Donation of
land for high school George Albert Draper Bristow and Queena Draper Eben Draper Gov.
Eben S. Draper Pistol, rifle and skeet shooting Origins of street and place names Adin Ballou
Park Now and Then - Post Office Hester Chilson
Twenty-five years ago – February 1988 – Fallon Clinic to Open Branch at Site of Former Armenian-
American Veteran’s Post.
Cheryl Daudelin (23 points) and Doreen Phillips Lead Hopedale High to Overtime Upset Win Over
Dole, Gephart Win in Iowa. Simon Tops Dukakis for Second. Bush Third, Behind Pat Robertson.
Fifty years ago – February 1963 – Fred Knox elected chairman of the Hopedale unit of the Red Cross.
A play, “One Love Had Mary,” about Mary Todd Lincoln, was presented at a meeting of the Hopedale
First flight of a Boeing 727.
President Kennedy submits bill to enact Medicare to Congress.
Taft is Guest of Draper
Autos from Beverly to Governor’s Hopedale Home
Hopedale - August 18 (1910) – The inhabitants of the summer White House literally picked up their
beds and walked this evening in order that the President of the United States might fraternize with the
Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts at the Governor’s Hopedale home.
The President’s visit to the Governor, which will last until tomorrow afternoon, was classed as a
purely social affair, required the attendance of the immaculate Secretary Norton, the gold laced
Captain Archie Butt, all the secret service men, several chauffeurs and attendants, and an automobile
loaded to the guards with Washington correspondents.
When George Washington was president, he went through Hopedale and Milford. Since that time
neither town has seen a president until today.
The president was scheduled to leave Beverly at 3 o’clock in the afternoon when all of the roads
outside of Governor Draper’s big mansion were scrubbed and garnished, and the lawns combed and
curried. As early as 3:30 o’clock the constables of Hopedale, headed by Chief Kellogg, arrived before
the Draper home and took up their posts.
All watches had been compared, and the distance from Beverly to Hopedale had been carefully
figured. Chief Kellogg estimated that the distance from Beverly to Boston was 19 miles and from
Boston to Hopedale was 35 miles, and that the distance in a fast automobile at the rate of 25 miles
an hour, so that he should arrive at about nine minutes past five.
But at nine minutes after five there was no sign of the presidential automobile. Nor was there at nine
minutes after six either.
It was 15 minutes before seven when there was a shout and a scattering of gravel on the incline
leading up the hill toward the Governor’s home, and a big black automobile came whirling up the
Then all those who had waited on foot and in automobiles were rewarded; for in the back seat of the
big black automobile was sitting the big man himself, President Taft, clad in his distinctive checked
golf cap and his capacious linen duster and smiling the expansive saccharine smile hitherto familiar
to the Hopedalers only in picture and story. Beside him was Secretary Norton, dwarfed by his huge
chief, and just in front of him, perched on one of the little seats, was Captain Archie Butt in his dark
blue coat and picturesque scattering of gold lace. Behind him were the secret service men.
The President’s car drew on beneath the porte-cochere of the Draper home. On the steps were the
Governor and Mrs. Draper and their daughter, Dorothy. (Dorothy was the mother of Bill Gannett, the
only Draper descendant still living in Hopedale.) The President received a most cordial greeting and
explained that he was late because he had been unable to leave Beverly until after 4 o’clock. Then
Secretary Norton and Captain Butt went into the house while the automobile scurried away to Milford.
The President and the Governor emerged again almost immediately on being informed that a Post
photographer wished to photograph them. With them came Mrs. Draper and Dorothy Draper with her
big black dog, Eb, and Captain Butt.
This evening there was a purely informal dinner at the Draper home, attended by a few intimate
friends of the Draper family.
Tomorrow afternoon the President plans to visit Mendon, where some of his ancestors made their
home, and return from there to Beverly. Newspaper name not available – probably it was the Boston
Post. From the Bancroft Library Hopedale history files.
New York Times article on Taft Visit
Hopedale History Ezine Menu HOME
Above - The Ledges, the home of Gov. Draper, and the place where President
Taft stayed in 1910. It was razed and replaced by the governor's son, Eben
Sumner Draper, jr., in the 1920s. Here's a page showing the Ledges he built.
Twenty-four years after
Hopedale became a town and
the paper still calls it Milford.
Washington was heading
toward Connecticut and then
on to New York after his visit to