December 15, 2014
Three at 100
Hopedale in December
Walking Tour of Hopedale
Hopedale High baseball team, 1969 (State Class C champs)
Building Kingdom Hall
Christmas in Early Hopedale
Model railroad stamp, with a G&U connection and a bit of G&U history.
Recent additions to hope1842.com: Patrick's Store (Obituary for Henry Patrick) 1929 Field Day
(Articles on the carnivals held for two years after the last field day.) Now and Then - The Ledges
(Milford News article on the sale of the estate in 1960.) Edward Usher and the G&U Railroad (Photo
of converting the railroad from steam to electricity.) Francis DeRoche (Article about his being killed
during World War II.) Dana Cutter (Article on book written by Dana.) John and Eleanor Hutchinson
(Several articles on John's career at Draper Corp.) Now and Then - The Larches (The Larches
converted from private home to Draper club/inn - 1947.) Dutcher Family (Photo of Warren Dutcher and
his daughter Dorothy at Atlantic City in 1939.) Town Hall (Timeline) Now and Then - The Griffin-
Dennett Apartments (Timeline, satellite view, and MDN 1963 article added.) Parklands History
Rev. J B Hollis Tegarden is engaged in making a picture of Hopedale as a memorial to Miss Anna M.
Bancroft. Photography is one of Rev. Mr. Tegarden's main interests and he has made exceptionally fine
movies which have been shown here and in surrounding towns. Milford Daily News, June 15, 1942
The Community House alleys continue to enjoy a season of astonishing totals and broken records.
The latest record at the lumber camp is a 159 single and 386 triple by Dick Kelley. That's man-sized
bowling, but Dick Kelley is only 14 years old. Milford Daily News, February 24, 1955
Among the items shown were a large number of books on the third floor. The majority of them are Acts
and Resolves of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. There are also some Annals of the National
Association of Cotton Manufacturers and other such publications. Material more directly related to
Hopedale and Draper history has been moved to the second floor. The article also mentions names
written on a wall. Those are in a closet off of the stage on the second floor. It evidently became a
tradition as far back as the twenties for kids in high school plays to write their names there. That
continued at least into the seventies. Click here to see them.
By Virginia Cyr
This town, a little over 110 years of age since its incorporation, is marking the 100th anniversary of
three buildings this month. They are a very important part of the history of the town, which was founded
as a utopian society, and later became known worldwide as the home of the "Diamond D" loom.
Buildings, which have attained the one hundred year mark this year include the Bancroft Memorial
Library, the former Dutcher Street School, now a condominium complex, and the Hopedale Unitarian
Bancroft Memorial Library, still a vital resource for many residents and non-residents, was established
in 1898. The library was built in Romanesque Gothic Revival style and built of Milford pink granite and
ashlar stone. The building, established by Joseph B. Bancroft in memory of his wife, Sylvia Thwing
Bancroft, was designed by architect Hugh Walker. The library was dedicated on Dec. 14, 1899. Anna
Bancroft was the first librarian.
The Hopedale Unitarian Parish Church was built in 1898. It was built by Eben Sumner Draper and
George Albert Draper in memory of their parents, Hannah (Thwing) and George Draper. Edwin J. Lewis
was the architect for this beautiful granite building and the Rev. Lewis G. Wilson was the first pastor of
the church which was dedicated on Sept. 15, 1898. The parish is still active and is a vital part of
The Dutcher Street School was established in 1898 and opened its doors in September of that year.
Walker and Kimball of Boston were the architects for the brick and granite building which played an
important role in the lives of countless children of the town before closing its doors a number of years
ago. The building cost $30,000 to build and operated then on a budget of $6,800 a year. Elmer E.
Sherman was the Superintendent of Schools when the building opened. Sometime in the 1980s, the
building was abandoned as a school. It was felt by school officials and selectmen that it would cost too
much to correct what the years of wear and service had done to it. A heating system was needed too,
with the closing of the Draper Corporation furnace, which had heated the school. The building was
placed on the market for sale. The first round of bids fell short of what officials thought should be
received for the school. When the property went out for sale again, a few years later, William McClay of
the former McClay Associates, came in with the high bid and a proposal to convert the beautiful building
into condominium units. Both the bid and proposal were accepted and many people who had once
attended the school had the joy of purchasing a unit in the area where their classroom was located in
years past. The former school is located at the corner of Dutcher and Freedom streets. Milford Daily
Bancroft Library Dutcher Street School Unitarian Church
Ezine Menu HOME