April 15, 2018
The Time Capsule
Hopedale in April
Announcement is made today that the valuable estate numbered 152 Beacon Street, water side, between
Berkeley and Clarendon streets, has been sold by Mrs. Isabella Stuart Gardner to Hon. Eben S. Draper of
Hopedale. This property consists of 7200 feet of land, and brick and stone buildings thereon, all taxed on
$75,000. It is understood that Mr. Draper has plans for a new house to be erected on the site, which, when
completed will be occupied by him. More on Draper homes in Boston An online inflation calculator shows
that $75,000 in 1904 would be equivalent to $2,076,518 now.
were collected for the use of service men and were sent to Boston for distribution. Librarian's Report, 1942 -
Rachel Woodworth, Librarian
By Virginia Cyr
Daily News Correspondent
A large number of people took an exciting, nostalgic and proud visit to the granite-built Hopedale Unitarian
Church of 1897 yesterday when a time capsule buried 100 years ago was opened at the church.
Parishioners and friends arrived at the church early to view the copper container, which had been buried at
the cornerstone of the church in 1897. The box smelled musty and old as it sat in the church waiting to be
When the top of the copper capsule was peeled back, onlookers anxiously awaited a look at the founders
and committee members who began the parish 100 years ago.
Hopedale's history extends from a failed Utopian commune to a model manufacturing town, with Draper
Corporation at the forefront. The now defunct plant once employed 4,000 workers in the manufacture of
Photos of Rev. Adin Ballou, first minister of the parish, and Rev. Lewis Wilson, third minister, were listed
among the contents placed in the capsule. However, a photo of Rev. Austin Garver, second minister, was
not to be found.
Rev. Dr. Mark Allstrom noted that some of the pictures had faded to an unrecognizable state. He said there
remains a sense of community in Hopedale and that not much has changed. Rev. Allstrom kicked off the
church's 100th anniversary celebration with the opening of the container.
Founder and Unitarian minister Adin Ballou called those ideals "Practical Christianity" in 1841 when he
bought 258 acres of what was called The Dale, and later renamed Hopedale.
Other photographs in the capsule at the time of its burial were of George and Hannah Draper, to whom the
church was dedicated; Massachusetts Governor Roger Wilcott, parish committee chairman Edward F.
Stimpson, treasurer Eben D. Bancroft, clerk, Anna M. Bancroft, George A. and Eben D. Draper, church
donors Sylvia Bancroft and Lewis Wilson, Jr., first child born in the incorporated Town of Hopedale. The boy
died at an early age.
A photo depicting Hopedale Street as it looked in 1847 was included, but the picture was barely visible.
Other items included an article "Modern Hopedale," which was written by the third minister of the parish,
Rev. Lewis Wilson. A copy of "The History of Hopedale," written by Rev. Adin Ballou, was also buried in the
capsule. Also unearthed was a copy of "A Sermon on Town Division," which was preached in Bellingham in
Also included were:
"Creed and Catechism" of the American Unitarian Church.
A program from the Town Hall dedication.
A copyvof the town report for the year ending Dec. 31, 1896.
A list of members of the Unitarian Parish.
A list of members of the Guild of A. Kempis, which is thought to have been a charitable organization.
A list of names of children christened in the parish.
Copies of "Our Church Home" which was a publication of the church.
Several commemorative notes by individuals, including one composed by Rev. Wilson
Discussing the latter composition of Rev. Wilson, Rev. Allstrom said, "He definitely displayed a strong
sense of humor. On the serious side the note described Hopedale of 1897 "as a delightful community with
about 1000 inhabitants." He also included information that the Draper Company had about 100 to 1300
employees. He referred to the electric railroad available to provide transportation to Framingham. He spoke
about the steam railroad known as the Grafton and Upton, pointing out that it primarily provided freight
Addressing the passenger service provided at the time by the G&U Railroad, Rev. Wilson's point blank
comical comments indicated that being a passenger on the line left much to be desired. Rev. Wilson talked
about "secret organizations" in town at that time and he discussed much more which provided a close look
at the Hopedale of 100 years ago. Milford Daily News, March 24, 1997
For the rest of the article, see below.
Ezine Menu HOME
Below - Another Time Capsule - Hopedale Centennial, 1986
Pictures from the time capsule.
Above - Adin and Lucy Ballou
Below - George and Hannah Draper
these items available.