July 1, 2018
Hopedale in June
The Post Road (Thanks to Dick Grady for sending a Worcester Telegram article on the colonial era road.)
Local Historic District Milford News articles (Article on Town Meeting decision added.) Deaths
Twenty-five years ago - July 1993 - UN inspection teams leave Iraq. Iraq then agrees to UNSCOM
demands and the inspection teams return.
Windows NT 3.1, the first version of Microsoft's line of Windows NT operating systems, is released to
Fifty years ago - July 1968 - Saddam Hussein becomes Vice Chairman of the Revolutionary Council in
Iraq after a coup d'état.
The semiconductor company Intel is founded.
Pope Paul VI publishes the encyclical entitled Humanae vitae, on birth control.
The first International Special Olympics Summer Games are held at Soldier Field in Chicago, Ill, with about
1,000 athletes with intellectual disabilities.
News items above are from Wikipedia. For Hopedale news from 25, 50 and 100 years ago, see below
this text box..
Large-scale, high-style residences of individuals who owned or operated the town’s industrial enterprises
began to be constructed during the 1860s to 1880s period. Those of the first generation of manufacturers
tended to be built on Hopedale Street, with subsequent generations building on Adin Street. The only one
extant on Hopedale Street is the Joseph Bancroft house, 46-48 Hopedale Street (ca. 1870, remodeled
1910). Built for the superintendent and later the vice president and president (1907-1909) of the Draper
business, the house was logically placed in close proximity to the industrial buildings. Originally Italianate
in style, the house was substantially remodeled in the Colonial Revival style after Bancroft’s death in 1909.
In 1898, Joseph Bancroft funded the construction of the town’s Bancroft Memorial Library on an adjacent
lot. Other Hopedale Street residences of local manufacturers were demolished during the period of
significance. Two houses were demolished in the 1920s when their sites were donated to the town for the
construction of two important institutional buildings, the Hopedale Community House, (on the site of the
George Draper house) and the General Draper High School (site of the 1872 William Franklin Draper
Adin Street gradually became the location of choice for the residences of the town’s industrialists. The
Warren W. Dutcher house, 14 Adin Street (ca. 1868), was built for the inventor and manufacturer who
moved to Hopedale ca. 1856 to set up shop at the urging of George Draper. A fine example of the Second
Empire style, the Dutcher house is one of three Second Empire-style houses built during this period in the
Adin Street – Hopedale Street vicinity; the others were the Hopedale Street residences of George Draper
and William Franklin Draper. William Lapworth, an English-born weaving expert who obtained patents for
elastic weaving and eventually became primary stockholder and superintendent of Hopedale Elastics
Company, had an Italianate house built at 85 Adin Street (ca. 1875). After Hopedale Elastics was
purchased by the Draper Company in 1898, Lapworth substantially remodeled the house to its present
Queen Anne style.
In addition to William F. Draper, other individuals in the second generation of Hopedale industrialists built
their houses on Adin Street, though most were replaced with newer houses between the 1920s and the
early 1950s. In 1885, Eben Sumner Draper, later the governor of Massachusetts, had a Shingle-style
residence built, designed by Boston architect George R. Clarke. Occupying a spacious estate of over sixty
acres, the house was demolished by Eben Draper’s son, Eben S. Draper II, who replaced it with the
present English Revival-style dwelling at 55 Adin Street (ca. 1925). The younger Eben Draper was a trustee
of the Draper Corporation.
In the early 1890s, Boston architect John Pickering Putnam designed the Adin Street residence of George
A. Draper (1855-1923), another son of George Draper. This house was demolished in the 1930s and
replaced by the present French Eclectic-style dwelling, the Benjamin Helm Bristow Draper Jr. house, 66
Adin Street (ca. 1930) and contemporary residential construction. The Georgian Revival-style house of
Eben D. Bancroft (1847-1925), a vice president of the Draper Corporation in 1921, was designed in 1896
by Milford architect Robert Allen Cook and demolished in the 1940s. The Steel Road subdivision currently
occupies the site. Stone walls framing Steel Road where it meets Adin Street reportedly are remnants of
Cook also designed the English Revival-style Frank J. Dutcher house at 34 Adin Street (ca. 1904), located
directly behind the Second Empire-style house of Warren W. Dutcher at 14 Adin. Frances Eudora Draper
(b. 1847), daughter of George Draper and the wife of Charles H. Colburn, also lived on Adin Street at this
time; her estate was donated to the town and the house demolished for the construction of Memorial
Elementary School, 54 Adin Street (1954, 1963, 2000). (Actually the house was demolished and the lot
remained vacant for many years before the building of Memorial School.) Hopedale Historic Village
National Register Nomination, Kathleen Kelly Broomer, 2001
Hopedale Homes with Names Ezine Menu HOME
Hopedale News - July 1993
Above - The Joseph and Sylvia Bancroft house on Hopedale Street.
Below - The Bancroft home after remodeling.
On left - The Warren and Malinda Dutcher home.
On right - The General Draper home.
Above - The William Lapworth home on Adin Street.
Below - The Lapworth home after remodeling.
Hopedale News - July 1968
Hopedale News - July 1918