May 15, 2019
Chapel and Church
Hopedale in May
Recent additions to hope1842.com pages. The Driftway and Cutler Street (Thanks to Leigh Allen for a real
estate agreement on land that once belonged to the Grange and used as a picnic ground. The former
picnic ground is now part of Cutler Street.) Deaths
Twenty-five years ago - May 1994 - The Channel Tunnel, which took 15,000 workers more than seven
years to complete, opens between England and France, enabling passengers to travel between the two
countries in 35 minutes.
Nelson Mandela is inaugurated as South Africa's first black president.
Fifty years ago - May 1969 - The Battle of Dong Ap Bia, also known as Hamburger Hill, begins during the
An American teenager known as 'Robert R.' dies in St. Louis, Missouri, of a baffling medical condition. In
1984 it will be identified as the earliest confirmed case of HIV/AIDS in North America.
Apollo 10 returns to Earth, after a successful 8-day test of all the components needed for the upcoming first
manned Moon landing.
Chapel and Church
by Adin Ballou
improvement to serve the public need as a place of worship and general religious convocation until the
year 1860 when it was supplanted by the neat and commodious structure which was erected on a
commanding eminence at the rear of Community Square, so called, near the center of our growing village.
The plot of land upon which it stood, consisting of about two acres of rough wild pasture to begin with, had
been in process of improvement for several years, chiefly by the labors of our Industrial Union, and being
made ready for the completed edifice by grading, terracing, the planting of trees, etc. The building was
provided for by subscription, a paper circulated for the purpose of raising the requisite funds receiving
signatures and pledges of money varying from $1,800 appended to the names of E.D. and Anna T. Draper,
to $4.00 donated by one of our humbler members, the whole amounting to $$4,423.00. Its entire cost,
including slips and furnishings, was somewhat over$6,000.00 -- the excess above the subscription
pledges being generously supplied by the brothers, E.D. and George Draper. The structure was in
rectangular form, according to the type of ecclesiastical architecture in vogue at that date, measuring 58 feet
in length by 44 feet in width with 30 feet posts, the front being surmounted by an appropriate bell-tower. The
Building Committee consisted of Wm. H. Humphrey, E.D. Draper, and Wm. S. Heywood. Mr. Lewis Fales of
Milford was the architect, and Mr. Lowell Fales, the superintending carpenter until near completion; Bro.
Wm. H. Humphrey succeeding him. The enterprise was brought to a fortunate conclusion in the autumn of
the year named, and dedicatory services were held in the new sanctuary on the 15th of November. An
account of what transpired on the occasion from the pen of the Rev. Samuel May of Leicester, who was
present, was published in The Anti-Slavery Standard of New York, from which the following extracts are
Here below is the first paragraph of Rev. May's article, published in the Anti-Slavery Standard.
To the Editor, etc.: It is not often in this slavery-ridden country that the dedication of a new church building
can have any special interest for the true anti-slavery reformer, or for the lover of Christianity in its genuine
and incorrupt form. Very rarely would one of these receive an invitation to attend such an occasion and
participate in its exercises. But the dedication of the new church edifice at Hopedale (Milford, Mass) forms
an exception to the rule on this subject; and as the Community there established is of a character to
interest all true lovers of their kind, and all Abolitionists in an especial manner, a notice of the occasion
becomes appropriate to your columns and may also prove interesting to your readers. Your correspondent
was one of the numerous friends present and believes that all true Anti-slavery reformers may have a word
of congratulations and God-speed for the Hopedale friends at this time. History of the Hopedale
Community, Adin Ballou, pp. 326-327, 1897 edition.
Ezine Menu HOME
located on what is now Hopedale Street, between Freedom and
Chapel streets. It was eventually divided into two apartments, and a
small store was located in the basement, facing Hopedale Street.
.Hopedale Unitarian Parish church dedicated in 1898.
Hopedale News - May 1994
Hopedale News - May 1969
Hopedale News - May 1919
The church of the Hopedale Parish. It was built in 1860 on the
site of the present Unitarian Church which replaced it in 1898.
Here's a hit from 1969 - Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline.
Marion Harris - A Good Man Is Hard to Find 1919
Ace of Base - The Sign - 1994