Hopedale HIstory
    November 2020
    No. 388
    Robert Allen Cook




    Scarecrow fest photos   

                                                              <><><><><><><><><><>

    Twenty-five years ago - November 1995 -  The Indian government officially renames the city of
    Bombay, restoring the name Mumbai.

    Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin is assassinated at a peace rally in Tel Aviv.

    The Dayton Agreement to end the Bosnian War is reached at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.

    The first-ever full-length computer-animated feature film, Toy Story, is released.

    Operation Desert Storm officially ends.

    Fifty years ago - November 1970 - Democrats sweep the U.S. Congressional midterm elections;
    Ronald Reagan is reelected governor of California; Jimmy Carter is elected governor of Georgia.

    Lieutenant William Calley goes on trial for the My Lai Massacre.

    The American Indian Movement seizes control of the Mayflower II in Plymouth

    Rodgers and Hammerstein's Oklahoma! makes its network TV debut, when CBS telecasts the 1955 film
    version as a three-hour Thanksgiving special.

    News items above are from Wikipedia. For Hopedale news from 25, 50 and 100 years ago,
    see below this text box.

                                                                  <><><><><><><><><><>

                                                               Robert Allen Cook

                                                       By Kathleen Kelley Broomer

    A life-long resident of Milford, Robert Allen Cook was a graduate of Milford High School. Prior to
    establishing his own architecture firm, he acquired architectural and construction training as a
    draftsman for a Milford construction company, through the study of architecture in Europe, and
    through two years of study with architecture firms in Boston. He was briefly associated with Milford
    architect Wendell T. Phillips, from 1947 to 1948.

    Cook’s work involved not only designing buildings but also supervising their construction and selecting
    their interior finishes. His commissions in Milford included an addition to the Town Hall, and design and
    construction of the Universalist Church. In Milford, he also designed Milford High School – now Milford
    Middle School West (1900), Trinity Parish House, St. Mary’s School, and the First World War Memorial
    in Draper Park.

    Perhaps no other architect designed as many buildings for the Drapers in Hopedale as Robert Allen
    Cook. His work in the town, from ca.1894 to ca.1916, coincides with a major period of expansion in the
    operations of the Draper Company. Cook designed and constructed all types of housing for the
    Drapers in Hopedale in Milford; additions to boardinghouses occupied by unmarried male workers,
    double houses rented to workers with families, and single-family dwellings for the town’s industrialists.
    Of the three boardinghouse additions Cook designed in Hopedale Village in the late 1890s, only one is
    known to survive, at Hopedale House, 37 Dutcher Street (last quarter of 19th century). Cook also
    superintended the construction of employee double house developments at Bancroft Park (ca. 1896-
    1903), Lake Point Group (principally ca. 1910-1912), Upper Jones Group (ca. 1913), and Lower Jones
    Group (1913-1916), in addition to designing some of the houses in all four developments. Among
    single-family residences, Cook designed the Adin Street houses of Eben D. Bancroft (1896,
    demolished, site of 80 Adin Street), the Frank J. Dutcher house, 34 Adin Street (1904), and alterations
    to the George Otis Draper house, 11 Williams Street (1910).

    According to the Robert Allen Cook Papers at the Society for the Preservation of New England
    Antiquities (SPNEA – now known as Historic New England), Cook also designed coal pockets, offices,
    hose houses, a hotel, and several other buildings for the Drapers. Two of Cook’s company-built
    buildings are similarly styled: the Main Office Building, Hopedale Street (1910 – now Atria Draper
    Place), and the Central Fire Station, 50 Dutcher Street (1915-1916). Among institutional buildings in
    the area, Cook designed the Hopedale Village Cemetery Tool House (1894), the original Union
    Evangelical Church (1906, repaired after 1912 fire, destroyed by fire 1962), near the corner of
    Dutcher and Peace streets, a site now occupied by the present church at 25 Dutcher Street (1963). In
    1908, he designed an addition to the town’s first high school on Hopedale Street (1887, demolished
    1987), a site now occupied by the Sacred Heart Church parking lot. In 1927, Cook reportedly designed
    the children’s room in the Bancroft Memorial Library, 50 Hopedale Street. (1898).

                                                         
Ezine Menu                         HOME  

Hopedale News - November 1995
    Click here to read Judge Larkin's
    letter, and more about Larry Heron

O

Who's the Best Sportscaster

Hopedale News - November 1970
    Click here for memories of
    summers in Hopedale in the
    1950s by Carol (Strokeck)
    Fannelli and Priscilla (Knight)
    Elliot, which they wrote while
    planning for this reunion.

Hopedale News - November 1920

From 1970, CCR with Up Around the Bend.
Hopedale House
Bancroft Park
Oak Street
Inman Street
Frank Dutcher home
Union Evangelical Church


Ezine Menu                      HOME