Freedom, Progress and Lake streets. The reason for including it here is that the caption indicates that originally it was probably less than half its
present length. Unlike any of the photos of the shop in its second location, it now has a cupola. As mentioned on other pages, the shop almost
certainly wasn't built in 1841. The first family to move into the Old House, moved in near the end of that year and no doubt had other things to do
before they started building a shop. Also, Adin Ballou wrote that they built their first shop in 1842. Even then, it was many years before it looked
anything like it does in the picture above.
To see the shop when it still had two stories, click here. To see a picture titled Four Early Shops and a drawing of that picture with some
interesting notes added by Frank Dutcher, click here.