Globalair-aircraft for sale
Jet Fighter Lands at Hopedale Airport
Want to buy a used plane? Here's a site for you.
South Hopedale Menu Now and Then Menu HOME
From 1940 to 1949, John and Margaret Byrne and family operated a small
dairy farm on Hartford Avenue. The barn was on the Mendon side of the
road, while the house and most of the fields were on the Hopedale side. The
three pictures at the top of this page are from those days. In 1949, they
moved to a larger farm in Littleton, and the Hopedale place was sold, first to
Varney Brothers and in 1952, to Draper Corporation. Draper then built the
airport on the site, and it opened in January 1953.
Before this land on Hartford Avenue was an airport, it was a farm. In
the 1940s, the farm belonged to the John and Margaret Byrne family.
Above and below - Peggy (Byrne) Cozzens in the 1940s.
The three photos above were taken in 1988. In the one immediately above, Hartford
Avenue crosses diagonally across the lower quarter of the picture, with Route 140
going from the bottom, left of center, to the right. Buildings that can be seen in the
lower half include the one Hopedale rented some years ago as the Hartford Avenue
School, Community Bible Chapel, and Pop N Cork. The Hopedale Mart convenience
store at the corner of 140 and Hartford Avenue hadn't been built at that time.