January 23, 2011
Children's Room
Children's Room

Now and Then - The Bancroft Library

More about the library           South Hopedale Branch Library

 Library History                Sylvia Bancroft   

Now and Then Menu          HOME

.

    The Bancroft Memorial Library. Building began in 1898 and it opened in 1899..
    Before that time,  the library was in the town hall. The picture above is one of
    the few taken of it before the Statue of Hope fountain was installed in 1904.

    This picture shows the Humphrey-Fish house that
    once stood next to the library. The Humphrey family
    lived there during the Hopedale Community era. (Click
    on the picture to read about Elizabeth Humphrey.) The
    picture was probably taken at the time Dr. Fish lived
    there. Trolley tracks can be seen in the street

The library and the Statue of Hope in 1906
.
1927