in this view. As you can see, the photo was taken when
demolition of some of the Draper shops was underway.
Below are a couple of pictures taken in 2011.
and Freedom Street, which in now Howes Welding. The red arrow
points to the fire station near Hopedale Street, across from Peace
Street and Adin Ballou Park. The white arrow points to the pattern
safe. Its purpose was to protect the patterns used for casting parts in
the foundry. It was important to store the patterns in a fireproof
building. Had they been in a building that burned, Drapers might
never recover from the disaster. This photo was taken in 1950.
the building that was once one of the Draper fire stations.
Don Howes is owner of the building at 2 Bancroft Park, that was once one of the two Draper
Corporation fire stations. It was probably built between 1900 and 1910. "Howsie" thinks that at that
time they probably didn't have motorized fire trucks there. He thinks it's more likely that they had carts
or wagons that would be pulled to the location of a fire by the firemen. Because there was a water
system in place, trucks with pumps were not necessary. Plenty of men were nearby, and the station
wasn't far from any fire they'd be called to. Men could pull the wagons filled with hoses, axes and other
fire fighting equipment and be at the site of the fire before horses could be hitched and ready to go.