Mary Phillips

    In March 2016, Mary Phillips wrote to say that her great-aunt, Annie Phillips had worked for the Clare Draper
    family at their home on Adin Street. The house was located where Memorial School is now. At first she sent a
    few messages about Annie. After a while I asked Mary about her own life. Here's what she sent.

    I lived at 89 Main Street, Milford (the granite building). We were all Irish; the Pynes, the Duddys, my Aunt
    Nellie, and Mag McKenna. I remember going up on the roof with my mother when she hung the washing. My
    brother and I would look over the back staircase and see big rats running around. Wow! Aunt Nellie ironed
    her brother Wendell's shirts. She didn't have an electric iron either. The iron was heated on the stove.
    Wendell's sons would be walking home from St. Mary's, and she would try to get their attention by throwing
    small stones at them so she could ask them to take home the shirts. Of course they would ignore her. The
    apartments were high because there were stores on the first floor. I was only about five years old, but I can
    picture everything in my mind like it was yesterday

    I used to bring lunch to Aunt Annie's sister Cora at Lapworth's factory, where she was a forelady. Aunt Nellie
    worked there too, as did Aunt Margaret until she married Sumner Lapworth. My mother ran the household as
    Annie and Cora worked. She did all the cooking, cleaning, and grocery shopping. She was an excellent cook.
    I remember helping her put curtains on a stretcher with a million nails, it seemed, and beating carpets with a
    hand beater outside. We had a basement kitchen which Wendell designed. It was very nice. My sister had a
    dog and my mother would give him a bath in the set tub. You could just walk out to the back yard from the
    kitchen, which became the hub of activity for the house. I still use some of my mother's recipes today.

The Thom Building - 89 Main Street.

    My father, Edward J. Curran, (not related to Paul Curran) was born in Milford.  He lived on Central Street. His
    mother did laundry for people on Claflin Hill. He and his brother would deliver it in a clothes basket.
    Sometimes they would swing the basket too high. Just imagine what happened then. He was a painter
    (rooms) by trade. When we built our house he used a technique he had seen in churches (when he was a
    chauffeur for Uncle Wendell) on my living room walls. It was a shade of gray. He took a cloth and touched the
    paint while it was wet to give a mottled look. He thought it would work well with my family which it did. Many
    years later it was used extensively.

    My father had a sister who lived in Upton. Her husband ran a grocery store called Clover Farm. It was across
    from the hat shop. Their names were George and Rose Davis. Their daughters were Marilyn and Helen.
    Marilyn married Billy Summers. He was the son of the American League umpire from Upton. He was the
    athletic director in Framingham.  His father, the umpire, worked in the shipping room in Drapers in the
    winter.  He was quite a personality. My sister-in- law worked there too.

    My father took me to visit his aunt in Brockton. The only thing I can remember is two of their sons were
    teachers at Boston Latin School.

    I have a picture of me in a coat that Aunt Annie made out of an overcoat from the Clare Drapers that they had
    discarded. Funny, I remember her sewing to alter it for me. I was about three. One time she brought home
    some old skates that they had discarded. Well, among them I found a pair of black shoe skates that fit me. I
    was so excited because the other skates I had were just the ones you clamped on your shoes. I thought I
    was the "cat's meow." When I went on vacation with my Uncle Wendell, Aunt Annie brought home a bathing
    suit for me. It was from Best & Company, an upscale store in Boston at the time. My family couldn't afford to
    buy a bathing suit for me. When my vacation was over, Aunt Eva asked me if I could leave it for the next one
    coming down. This was during the Depression. I happily left it.

    I'd go to Uncle Wendell's place at Nantasket for two weeks every summer. I also went to my aunt and uncle's
    in Upton for a vacation, which seemed like a big deal back then.

    The Phillips family, including Wendell (back row,
    middle), and Annie (front row with dark skirt.)

    Years ago the family never told you anything. My mother and her sister were brought up by Annie, who also
    raised another niece. I wondered what went on as I think about it now. They just took the kids away from
    their mother. The fathers also went to live with Annie. I never knew anything about my grandmother or my
    grandfather. He died at 44. My mother's sister died at 21. Many family members died with tuberculosis. They
    didn't know it was contagious. Annie buried them all at St. Mary's Cemetery in Milford. She bought 16 graves
    in the middle section which were the more reasonable ones. I have the original deed. She paid $40.00 on
    August 15, 1918. I don't think all are used.

    My brother and I were close in age. He was a year older. I must have been about five when we moved to 69
    South Main Street. That was Annie's home. When we'd go to Mass at St. Mary's, my mother would give us
    church envelopes with five cents in each of them. One Sunday we decided to take out the money to go to Ida
    Lee's after Mass. Ida Lee's was a store that sold many items, including candy. Five cents would buy quite a
    bit. We put the envelopes down a manhole. We were found out! It seems that we did that in front of the home
    of a friend of my mother.

    During my school years I had great friends. In about the seventh grade we formed a club. We called it "The
    41 Club." That was the year we would graduate. We took turns meeting at our homes. We had dinner
    parties. Our mothers went along with it. We kept getting together after some of us were married. The
    members were Helene Cooney, Helen Duggan Northrop, Janet Dalrymple Tosches, Claire Fitzpatrick
    Small, Frances Greene Hennessey, Shirley Snow Clarico, Ester Healy Giacomuzzi, Margaret Dillion Malia,
    and Helen Donnelley Nuding. Janet Tosches and I are the only ones still living. We've been friends for 80
    years. We went everywhere together. Of course we walked. We went to school sport games, St. Mary's too,
    and band concerts in Hopedale. ! never missed a Wednesday concert there. We'd go ice skating at night at
    Hopedale Pond and at Greene Street and at the Vernon Grove Cemetery.

    In high school, proms were very important to us. When I was a freshman, I got invited to the junior prom.
    That was quite a feather in my cap. In my junior year I didn't get invited, so my cousin Arthur Lapworth from
    Hopedale took me. Of course I told no one that he was my cousin. He was very handsome in his white
    formal jacket. In those days boys just wore their best suit; not any tuxes.

    St. Mary's had proms. If you didn't go to school at St. Marys, you had to be approved beforehand. As I was not
    a St. Mary's student although my escort was, so much for that. If you were at a social there and "they" thought
    your skirt was too short, you were asked to get off the dance floor. Not that I ever was, but it did happen to
    some friends.

    Norumbega Park was "the" place to go dancing. All the big bands played there. I was lucky enough to go
    twice. I saw Benny Goodman and Glen Gray.

    Wendell was employed by Maginnis & Walsh in Boston. When he came down to Nantasket for the weekend,
    he went to Faneuil Hall Marketplace to buy food. There would be crates of fruits, vegetables, steaks,
    lobsters, clams, and of course liquor. He would make the clam chowder. Many relatives would be down for a
    weekend, sleeping everywhere; on couches, on the porch. It was nice to be part of that.

    Some of us got jobs in Woolworth's. Claire and Frances worked in the crockery department. (Every time we
    heard a crash, we'd say, "No pay for them this week.") Helen Donnelley Nuding was at the ribbon counter.
    Janet worked in stationery, and I was at the candy counter. Roberta Beck worked at the stationery counter,
    too. She was the only one from Hopedale. We made twenty-five cents an hour and worked Thursday and
    Saturday nights.

    Another place I worked was for Frank Roy Hixon at his ice cream place where CVS on South Main Street is
    now. It was a very busy place in the summer. Hixon made his own ice cream. He was a chemist and had
    worked for H.P. Hood. I remember seeing him cutting up peaches. He gave us 10 cents worth of ice cream
    to take home every night. They had five-cent cups then. Bud Kirby would fill them for us. He'd ask what flavor
    we wanted and then put it in a bag. When I got home I saw that the two boxes were six inches tall, each full
    to the top. If Mr. Hixon ever saw that he would have had a stroke. JJ's in Upton is the only one to come close
    to Hixon's

    I trained at Milford Hospital School of Nursing for a year and then left and got married. Although he was from
    Hopedale, Red Phillips hung around with the South End Gang - Eddie Sullivan, John Cugini, John and Will
    Norton, Frank Zersky, Bobby Cosentino and "Junie" Bishop. He was very shy. I remarked to Eddie Sullivan,
    "He's kinda' cute. I wouldn't mind going out with him." Well, as they say, the rest is history. On our first date at
    the Shrewsbury Drive- in I remember saying to myself, "That's who I'm going to marry." Red enlisted in the
    National Guard quartermaster unit in Natick with Vinnie Dugan. They furnished food and supplies. Red was
    a truck driver. When an officer needed a driver they wanted Red. He was stationed at Camp Edwards at the
    Cape when we were married. We were married in the rectory at St. Mary's by Father Collins.

    My husband's name was Harold Augustus, which he hated. He was usually called "Red." His mother was
    very patriotic. Ben was Ben Franklin Phillips. John was John Pershing Phillips.

    Red drove a ten wheeler in France and Belgium. He never talked about being overseas much, except to say
    they drove a lot at night and never really knew where they were. He and his two brothers met overseas.
    Hence the picture of them on the plaque at Phllips Field.

    My friend Peg Dugan asked me to work for her at her job in Wellesley on her nights off. The first job I did for
    her was for the Hunnewels in a big mansion behind a big wall. I didn't drive and my husband had a hard
    time finding the right house. An elderly brother and sister lived there. The brother had dementia. He was a
    former professor of botany at Harvard. The next place I worked was for a Mrs. Moreland whose husband had
    been president of MIT at one time. I finally got my license but until then my husband had to bring me there at
    night and pick me up in the morning.

    I did a lot of work like that in the Milford area too, including for Mrs. Saunders (Barbara Ellis's mother), Gladys
    Beaudet, Jean Bright, Dr. Chichetti, George Ellis, Helen Northrop's mother, Dorothy Burns, and Mrs. William
    Northrop. I also worked for Eunice Carrier in Hopedale, and when she moved to the Cape with her daughter
    Linda I went down there. She lived before the canal. I worked nights for her, and one day when the lady who
    worked mornings came in, I noticed that she was tipsy, so I stayed. Eunice's place was right on the beach.
    She was a fun lady and we had many laughs. I had many choice cases. Ruth Manuel at the VNA called me
    for jobs too. I also worked for my aunt, Eva Phillips. My youngest daughter is following in my footsteps.

    I was with Gladys Beaudet for four years. She was a lovely lady. She came to Hopedale as a kindergarten
    teacher. She lived in a boarding house, where she met Horace who was working at Drapers. She left after
    they told her what church to go to, but she kept her relationship with Horace who became her husband. Their
    home was where the Wesleys live now. (190 Dutcher Street) He was a "big shot" at Drapers. He always
    wanted to work in the auto industry, but every time he went to leave they boosted his salary so much that he
    stayed. Sadly he passed when he had just retired, so she moved to the apartment house across from the
    fire house. She had her friends come to the house and take what they liked. She had Earl Johnson, an
    interior decorator, do over her apartment, with all new furniture in the kitchen and bath. The owner would ask
    if he could show her apartment to a prospective renter, as if the rest were like hers. No way. She had a
    woman come to clean and one day she was hollering her head off. I rushed to see what was going on. Well,
    a bat had gotten in and was flying around. We opened the hall door and it flew into the hall. They pushed me
    out and slammed the door. What was I to do? I was as afraid as they were. It went up the stairs. Me too. I
    opened a window and it flew out. I asked them, "What made you two think I was the brave one?"

    Mrs. Beaudet had a Wednesday bridge club. The ladies arrived at 10 a.m. Each brought a sandwich. Mrs.
    Beaudet furnished coffee and dessert. Once one lady gave me her sandwich to put in the fridge. As I went to
    put it in, I looked and noticed that it was crawling with big black ants. I showed Gladys and she told the lady.
    Well, the lady just came into the kitchen, opened the sandwich and pulled off the ants. She flushed them
    down the sink, handed it to me and said, "It's okay now." After lunch they would have their sherry. The more
    they had, the louder they got. Gladys did not partake.  

    Gladys's maiden name was Olmsted. She was from Brockton. She was related to Frederick Law Olmstead,
    the designer of Central Park in New York City. She had an old felt skirt that had been inside a trunk which
    had been in a tornado. She had a brother who lectured at a Her nephew, George
    Beaudet, was a judge from Woonsocket. She had gone to Wheelock and Horace had gone to the Rhode
    Island School of Design. In his will, Horace left money to "Boy's Town." Later that was found to be corrupt.
    Judge Beaudet recovered the money and Gladys put it into a scholarship at the high school.

    Another one of the people I worked for was Mrs. Saunders. She was Barbara Ellis's mother. She was born in
    Milford to the Walker family of the former Milford Savings Bank. Her brother Percy was also at the bank. She
    had lived in Deep River, Connecticut. She was a very smart lady. Her husband worked for a firm that made
    piano keys. She remembered seeing elephant tusks there. Every night we went upstairs to her sitting room.
    She loved to play cards and I did also. I taught her to play cribbage. Red told me to let her win. I said, "I don't
    have to. She beats me." One night she got the perfect score. She lived to be 103 years and was always as
    sharp as they come. You learn very much from people like her

    One night when I arrived at the Saunders home, Mrs. Saunders was asleep in her chair. That was fortunate
    because the inside door was ajar and the kitchen window was open. I knew something was amiss. Her
    purse lay open by her side. Barbara (her daughter) and George (her son-in-law) were in Florida. I called the
    police. They came and went over the whole house. It was a large Victorian. The robbers had been in every
    room, including the attic. They had moved every mattress. They didn't get much. Just a small clock and some
    money that had been in her purse. They didn't touch the silver of which there was plenty. It was all
    monogrammed.. Maybe that's why they didn't take it. When I came at night, a car was parked over near the
    town park. (Her house was at the corner of Emmons Street and Walnut Street, right near the park.) That kept
    me on edge for a while.

    I also had a day case which I did with Helen' Northrop's mother in Hopedale. I was with her the day the
    Blizzard of '78 started. I went to the drug store for Helen and I got stuck on some ice. I finally got back to
    Helen and then started for home. I got up as far as Economy Cleaners at Route 140 and Water Street. I
    couldn't see at all. I parked and went in to call my husband. I asked "Moody" Dederian if I could leave my car
    there. He had been a classmate of mine and he allowed me to. Red picked me up at about four.

    I was staying nights with Mrs. Saunders at that time. George and Barbara were in Florida, so she was alone.
    Red called Ben and asked him to drive me over there. He had chains on his car. First we went up Claflin Hill
    to pick up Karen who lived next to him. Then we went through Main Street, down through Lincoln Square and
    up to Walnut Street. What a ride! We got there at night. When I got out of the car the snow was up to my hips
    but I managed to get to her front door. I was there all week with her. I would walk to the market at the corner
    of Purchase and Spruce. Red was home coping with all the kids.

    Red's first job was at Werber & Rose Furniture. They sent him to New Jersey to learn installing of linoleum,
    which became his life's work. After the war he went to Drapers for a while. He left and got a job at Colonial
    Floors in Framingham and then at Stone's in Hopedale. The last place he worked was at Robertson's. There
    wasn't a man around who worked harder than him. He worked nights and some weekends for Lapointe's
    Furniture in Northbridge. He said once he worked in every house in Northbridge. He was featured in
    Congoleum National's newsletter for his expertise. He had done a floor for a district manager's home in

    Red built our home by himself. We bought the land from his father. We paid $250.00 for 1/4 acre. We got the
    bank loan of $5,000 from Milford Federal Savings Bank. Frank Boyer was on the board of directors and he
    vouched that if George Phillips supervised it, it would be built right. My Uncle Wendell's office drew up the
    house plans. Brother Ben helped with electrical work. My cousin Arthur Lapworth helped with carpentry work.
    Red got the bank to take off the last $500.00 which they didn't want to do. Over the years he changed so
    much. He added a breezeway and garage. Next he turned that into a larger kitchen. He also added a half-
    bath and a family room. Then he added a porch off of the family room and a patio off the porch.

    When the kitchen was to be painted, I had seen what I liked in a book at the Milford Federal Bank There was
    a big swath of cream and bright blue. Mr. Mongiat let me take the book to show the idea to my father. He
    mixed his own colors It worked very well. Red's sister made me some beautiful curtains for the kitchen.
    They were white dotted Swiss with rows of bright blue on hems and valences.

    Our children are William "Billy," Frances Elliott, George, Cora Dubois, Mary Laronga, Richard "Dicky," Jane
    Parks, Edward (deceased), Marilyn, Harold "Ted" or "Harry," and Margaret "Peg" Sacco. We took them
    everywhere; the beach, the mountains, New York City, Niagara Falls, the World's Fair in Montreal. I have 22
    grandchildren, 23 great-great grandchildren, and two great-great-great grandchildren.

    With so many children, Red bought a Volkswagon bus. He took us to New York for a day and we went up the
    Empire State Building. At the time when we had seven children, we took them to Niagara Falls, up the
    Mohawk Trail, Mount Greylock, the Cape Cod beaches, the Old Man of the Mountains, any new highway
    being built, like the Kangamangus Highway, and Route 495.

    When the movie cameras came out Red bought one. There was no sound with them then. We have many
    pictures of Christmas, birthdays and outings. The 8mm were small reels. Red spliced many together onto
    big reels. Later Morins added music and put them on video. They're a wonder to look back on.

    The Rockwoods lived in a trailer across from us. They were retired. They were Helen Allen's parents. Mrs.
    Rockwood said to me one day, "Harold does a day's work before he goes to work." He kept up the yard
    religiously. He always planted a big garden. One thing I remember that he'd plant was watermelons. When
    he was at Drapers, he played on the softball team. He was good. Later he took up golf. He was good at that
    too. He won the club championship. He had set his mind on that. On the day of the championship he had all
    of us follow him around the course. Bob Phillips remarked, "He is a fox. He intimidated his opponents by
    having all of you there."  He always had to have some kind of a project to work on; especially in the house in
    the winter. He always had something torn apart. Well, I finally got wise and put a stop to that.

    Baseball was a big part of our lives. Red's father played in the old Blackstone Valley League, and Red
    played for another valley group. He also played softball for a league at Drapers. Our oldest son, Billy, played
    in Little League for "The Food Center," which was on Mendon Street at the time. It was owned by Rico
    Calarese. It has since been torn down. Rico offered an ice cream for every home run. Well, Billy was good.
    He hit one at every game; sometime three. He also played for the churches, the Elks, and the Peewee
    League in Milford. He was a pitcher. He'd walk the bases full and then when he was warmed up he'd strike
    out everyone. No one could hit him. On Sunday at Mass Father Foran would announce the results from the

    Our son George came next. He was very good too. He played for the Legion in Milford and also for St. Mary's
    High School. Once in a Little League regional game in Northborough the umpire was very biased on his
    calls. The crowd got on him verbally. At the end of the game (which we lost) they had the police come to
    escort him off the field.

    Billy and George made a baseball diamond out back of our house. There was always a game going on
    there. There was a big tree way down the field. It was always a challenge as to who could hit the ball over it.
    My husband loved to do that with his nephew Bobby Phillips. Bobby was a great player. He made it to the
    minors. It was a very fun time.

    When my youngest daughter Peggy was six, I hired Whytes to bring their ponies down for her party. Well, that
    was a big hit. I think they only charged $15.00. Many years later I tried to do the same for a granddaughter.
    No way- too much liability.

    I remember the day Roy Morriseau was killed. He was 12. The boys were at Allen's playing board games at
    the picnic table. Roy got on his bike and went to cross Route 140 to his house and was hit by a car. He was
    killed instantly. What a tragedy! It left quite a mark on everyone. He was an only child. His father died a few
    years later.

    Red bought a little more land twice from his mother. Clarence Varney bought the land in back from his father
    and gave it to the town.  Methinks the town had that done. They didn't want any more new houses. Howard
    Fafard was after that land. Glad that didn't happen. The Phillipses  grew up on that land and had many big
    gardens. They had to work on them too. They'd be digging potatoes and brother George would put a dollar
    bill in the dirt and say, "Look what I found. You should have dug over here." I got the idea of naming the field
    Phillips. Three of them were in the service. Judge Larkin took it from there and made it happen.

    In his later years Red would write poems, usually about family members. They were quite good too.

    Red's brother, Ben, was quite a character. If he was around, you heard him. He worked at Drapers, in the
    garage. He was also a member of the Sewer Commission. He pushed for the new sewer plant years ago.
    Nobody pushed Ben around. Once he drove the school bus. Well, on South Main Street he let the kids off on
    the side of the street they lived on. He wasn't going to let them cross 140 in front of the bus. Well, that was
    the one and only time he drove the bus. He was honored by the town with a gravestone with "Mr. Hopedale"
    on it. He was all "bluster." Charlie Espanet told me, "Ben did more for the kids in Hopedale than anyone will
    ever know."

    Another time Paul Trautwein drove the school bus. He told me some kids were bullying another kid. He
    said, "Your Billy got up and told those kids, 'Pick on me. If I ever hear about you again you'll answer to me.'"  
    That's what should be happening today.

    A few years ago my Billy's neighbor came home from the service. He told Billy that he had met someone
    who spoke very highly of him. I don't know who it was but, the boy whom Billy had spoken up for on the
    school bus years ago who was being bullied. People never forget a kindness.

    Hopedale was very biased. They used to have school on Good Friday. If you were absent, they marked you
    absent. Father Dennis O'Brien subbed at the high school one time in the 1970s. In my mind that was an
    event. Ben Phillips was dropping off his wife at church right after and said, "I'm tired. I've been up all night in
    the cemetery stomping all the graves that turned over."

    Many years ago my cousin, Eben Lapworth thought he'd pull a fast one on the "town fathers." No one paid
    attention to elections in town. Everyone knew it didn't matter because "the town fathers" ran everything. You
    paid your taxes and water bills at the main office of Drapers. Well, he got the bright idea to write in his name
    on the ballot for selectman. "They" got wind of it and unloaded the shop to go vote. That was the end of
    Eben's run.

    Hopedale, though, was a wonderful town to bring up a family. In the summer, a school bus would come and
    take the kids to the park for activities and for swimming at the pond. I didn't drive so that was something
    special. I never heard of any other town that did that. There were swimming lessons and contests at the
    season's end. There was a softball league for girls. Of course there was a great school system and there
    were congenial policemen.

    I remember my great-aunt Annie very well. She was a Phillips, but not related to my husband. My mother was
    a Phillips; Annie's niece. As I mentioned before, Aunt Annie worked for the Clare and Mathilda Drapers. They
    were a wonderful family. Their son William painted Annie's portrait. I have a copy of it. They gave her a
    pension. They came to visit her often. Growing up in her household, I met the sons William, Clare and
    George, and George's wife, Sophie Whitin. She was from the Whitin family of Whitinsville. Annie went to their
    wedding, and some of them went to her funeral. The Draper's daughter Grace got a divorce in Reno and
    Annie went with her. In 1969, their son Harry, who was a pilot (retired) for American Airlines, shot and killed
    his wife and himself. They had been living in Beverly. His wife was a very beautiful Boston debutante. She
    and her family were so well known that Ambassador and Mrs. Henry Cabot Lodge attended her funeral.

From a tintype of Annie Phillips at age 12.

Annie's portrait by William Draper.

    The Draper family went to Hyannisport for the summer. They had a beautiful "cottage" on a curved high spot.
    Annie used to meet "Honey Fitz" (Rose Kennedy's father) on the beach. Gene Mantoni from Mendon was the
    gardener. He came to Annie's house to advise her. She had many flowers, flowering bushes, and trees. Mr.
    Durgin and Louis Pratt from Milford were chauffeurs. We went down the Cape with Annie to visit many times. One
    time Mrs. Draper invited my sister Nancy to stay the summer. They all treated her royally, including having a party
    for her on her birthday. They took her everywhere the family went. Yes, they were an exceptional family to say the

    Aunt Annie was always very political. When she was living in Boston with the Drapers, they made sure that she
    had election day off so that she could get to Milford to vote. In the summer at Hyannisport when she'd meet
    "Honey Fitz" on the beach, she'd have great discussions with him.

    Bob Phillips, the Hopedale town clerk some years ago, was Annie's nephew and my cousin. Wendell Phillips, the
    architect, was his father and Annie's brother. Annie never married.

    I have a letter written by William Draper to Bob, when Bob was the town clerk, asking for a birth certificate. It
    was a nice letter saying Annie would forever be in their hearts. He enclosed his address and invited him to
    visit if he ever came to New York.

    The Drapers moved to a beautiful apartment on Berkeley Street in Boston. Annie went too. I remember
    visiting her there. Annie told about Gloria Swanson flying in to the Kennedys in her seaplane one summer at
    the Cape. We all know about Joe Kennedy.

    Clare, Sr. had two different size feet so every time he bought shoes, he'd order two pair; one for each foot
    size. Annie would bring home the other ones. She always managed to have someone very happy to get a
    pair of beautiful new shoes even if one was slightly larger

    Annie's sister was Mrs. Sunmer Lapworth. She lived at 25 Daniels Street in Hopedale. Eben and Arthur were
    two of their children. We were a close family. I used to go swimming at Hopedale Pond. You had to be a
    Hopedale resident to swim there, so I'd give my address as Daniels Street. (More on the Lapworths)

    We don't have people like Annie any more. She was born in Ireland and came here as a baby. When her
    mother died in childbirth, Annie was 16. She took over and brought up all of her siblings. She kept them
    together; all eight of them. In the 30's she bought a house. I just remember going to the bank for her to pay
    the mortgage. Now I wonder how a single woman in those days was able to buy a house. I think her brother
    Wendell may have had a hand in that.

    A priest at St. Mary's in Milford got Wendell into Notre Dame College. He became a church architect and did
    very well. He knew what Annie had done for him. When he was gravely ill, he wanted Annie and her sister
    Cora to stay at his home. He was very good to all the family He had a place at Nantasket Beach. I got to go
    down every summer for two weeks. My father didn't have a job during the depression so Wendell hired him
    to drive him everywhere. He designed many churches in Connecticut. The diocese head used to be in
    Springfield.  Wendell had a sister who lived in Springfield and she remarked how differently she got treated
    when they learned that Wendell was her brother.

    Wendell had six boys. The oldest, Wendell, Jr., was in the Air Corps during World War II. He was lost over
    the North Sea. Donald married Helen Flanagan. Richard was a minor league umpire. And as I mentioned
    before, Bob was the town clerk in Hopedale.

John F. "Honey Fitz" Fitzgerald.

    The former Wendell Phillips house, next to Edwards Funeral
    Home, on Congress Street, Milford. The Wendell Phillips, Jr.
    Square marker can be seen from the house.

    My church is Sacred Heart in Hopedale. The first Catholic church was the old Hopedale High School. The
    first pastor was Father Donahue. He was a great friend of my Uncle Wendell, so he designed the church. As
    a child, I went to St. Mary's. Father Donahue had a commanding voice. We were all afraid of him. He came to
    my religion class and asked us where we were born. I answered, "America." My friend sitting next to me
    said, "You were not. You were born in Milford." Well anyway, later I was at Wendell's house at a time when
    Father Donahue was there. He said, "Oh, this is the girl who was born in America."

    You must remember Father Connellan. Who could forget him? Well, anyway one Saturday at confession
    one of my kids was there. He told me that he saw Joe Perry come flying out of the confessional with Father
    Connellan up the aisle and out the door after him.

    Our present pastor, Father Konicki is a gem. I used to go to Mass every morning, but I haven't since
    September. I had a melanoma spot on my ankle removed at Mass General and could not put any weight on
    my foot. My daughter drove up from Florida to take care of me for two months. I can't seem to rise early

    My favorite place to go in Boston is the Isabella Stuart Gardener Museum. The last occasion was my
    birthday. We used the library's passes from Hopedale and Milford, and my admission was free because it
    was on my birthday. They had just finished the renovation. Well anyway, we had lunch in the new lovely
    restaurant. As we were finishing, the waiter, Daniel, came in singing "happy birthday" with a lighted candle
    on a cupcake. What a beautiful baritone-tenor voice he had. The whole place fell silent. I never heard happy
    birthday sung so beautifully.  I was speechless. As were we all.

Wendell Phillips                 Memories Menu                     HOME   

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.