The two photos above show what appears to be the dam of the Thwing mill
on the left. They show the upstream side of the dam, west of the river. On
the right side of each picture is what was the bottom of the millpond.
This picture shows the top of the dam, also west of the river.
This photo shows the top of the dam, west of the Mill River,
taken from the remains of the dam on the east side.
Here's another view of the dam, looking
toward the west side of the river.
It seems likely that the stones in the middle of this picture, beyond the river,
must have been part a mill building foundation. However, it is on the opposite
side of the river from the mill site in the 1851 map below. The 1898 map
shows two buildings at the site. The stones may be part of the smaller one.
the wall of the reference room at the Bancroft Library. The Gaskill mills at
the bottom right eventually became the Westcott Mill. The saw mill in the
middle became the Thwing mill. Considering the millstones that were
found on the site, it appears that the mill was converted to a gristmill.
Also, as you'll see below, Gordon Hopper referred to it as a gristmill.
This 1898 map shows the Thwing mill near the bottom. The road
off of Hopedale Street, between the Hopedale Stable and the John
A. Moore properties, appears to be located where Thwing Street is
now. The long-gone millpond, extended up to what was called Main
Street - now Route 16/Mendon Street.
The Almon Thwing Mill
What I'm referring to as the Thwing mill was probably the one built and operated
by Samuel Walker before Almon Thwing took it over. According to Hopper's
history of the Mill River, "Samuel Walker’s gristmill with a 9-foot fall occupied the
eighth site." He describes it as being downstream from the Dutcher Company
site and upstream from the Westcott mill. Evidence that it, at some point, came
under the ownership of Almon Thwing is given in Adin Ballou's History of Milford,
p. 333. "Thwing St., from Hopedale, westward over Mill River, to gristmill;
accepted, 1859; named with respectful reference to Almon Thwing, who then
owned the mill-seat; 46 rods, 20 links long, and 2 rods wide; contents, about 93
As part of his History of Milford, Ballou hired Thwing to survey the town, which at
that time (evidently scheduled to be published in time for the Milford Centennial in
1880, but actually printed in 1882) included Hopedale. (The elevations and drops
cited in the Hopper history of the Mill River - link below- evidently were taken from
Thwing's survey.) Here Ballou refers to the mill near Thwing Steet as belonging
to Thwing, but in Thwing's survey of the Mill River, in the same book, he refers to it
as Walker's mill. Possibly Thwing owned the land and "mill privilege" but Walker
owned the mill. Another possibility is that ownership changed hands during the
years when Ballou was working on the book.
You may also have noticed that the 1851 map refers to it as a saw mill, but the
Hopper history mentions Walker's gristmill. Was one source wrong, or did the
function of the mill change? The fact that two millstones were found in the vicinity
(see Town Park Millstones below) suggests that it must have been, at least at
one time, a gristmill. Possibly it began as a sawmill but over the years the cutting
of trees eventually left the area with too few to make it profitable in that line of
work and it was converted. Another possibility is that both were there, at the same
The Walker Family
The Mill River by Gordon Hopper HOME
Thanks to Brian Sullo for the image above, in which
he overlaid the 1898 map that shows the Thwing
mill site onto a current Google Earth view.