Uxbridge-Draper Connection

                                                                                     By Peter Hackett

     In digging into the 250-year old story of Uxbridge, we find there is a real and viable Uxbridge connection with
    the Drapers of Hopedale, a fact which, in view of the recent demise of Draper Corporation, takes on a new
    meaning of historical interest.

     Quoting from the September 1901 "Cotton Chats," a monthly sheet put out by Draper Company, "Entering
    early into cotton manufacture he (E.D. Draper) rose to the position of overseer of weaving at North Uxbridge
    before starting in the line of temple introduction in 1837."

       In the Lewis Publishing Company 1907 History of Worcester County, it states of Ebenezer Dagget Draper,
    son of Ira Draper, that he was born at Weston, Mass. June 13, 1813. He settled in Uxbridge and attended the
    First Church (Unitarian) in Mendon, Mass., of which Rev. Adin Ballou was the pastor.

      Under George, in the same history, it says, "when he was 15 years old, he entered the weaving room of the
    cotton mill of North Uxbridge, where he parents went to live, and for two years was a weaver."  From this it is
    clear that Ira Draper and his family lived in North Uxbridge for several years; long enough for the brothers to
    become acquainted with the Thwing sisters. Ebenezer married Anna on Sept 11, 1834 and George married
    Hannah on March 6, 1839.

     Joseph Bubier Bancroft was born in Uxbridge on Oct. 3, 1821. A biographical note, with picture, is featured in
    the October 1909 issue of "Cotton Chats." It states, "Joseph B. Bancroft, our President and loved fellow
    member, died Monday morning, last."

       "Your committee appointed to prepare a fitting record of his service, presents its report.

     "Before the formation of the Draper Company, Joseph B. Bancroft was intimately associated with the other
    founders of the business taken over, and was an honored and trusted associate.

     "On the formation of the Company, he was elected a Director and Vice President, which office he held
    continuously for some years, when he was elected President of the company which position he held when he
    died.

     "He was a wise counselor, an able, fearless and loyal friend and an efficient administrator; and his
    associates feel deeply their loss.

     "We move that the above testimonial to his worth be inscribed on the records of the Company, and that
    copies be sent to his family and to the local press."

       In addition to the foregoing testimonial is the following:  "Joseph B. Bancroft was born in Uxbridge, Mass.,
    Oct. 3, 1821. He married Sylvia W. Thwing, Sept 11, 1844, and moved to Hopedale in 1847, where he joined
    the Hopedale Community, which was founded by Rev. Adin Ballou in 1842."

       Perhaps this would be a good place to point out that Sylvia was a sister of Anna, who married E.D. Draper,
    and Hannah, who married George Draper. Continuing with the biographical note, we read, "In 1856 when the
    community gave up its manufacturing interests, Mr. Bancroft formed a partnership with Ebenezer D. and
    George Draper, under the name of Hopedale Machine Company, to build improvements to cotton machinery
    which ere handled by the firm of E.D.& G. Draper.  The business was incorporated in 1866, under the name
    of Hopedale Machine Company, with Mr. Bancroft as superintendent and one of the directors. When this
    company was consolidated with other allied Hopedale interests in 1896, as the Draper Company, Mr.
    Bancroft was elected a director and vice president; in 1907 he was chosen President.

     "He had for many years had charge of the tenements of the company, and took great interest in the
    improvements that had been made in the appearance of the yards and premises during his administration."

       Before Hopedale became a town, Bancroft was interested in the business and civic interests of Milford. He
    was a director of the Milford Gaslight Company, also of the  Home National Bank. In civic affairs he was at
    one time chairman of the Board of Selectmen and also a representative of the General Court. When
    Hopedale became a town in 1886, he became the chairman of the new Board of Selectmen. He was long
    active in the affairs of the Unitarian Church.

     Bancroft Park, that well-known section of Hopedale, serves to keep green the memory of Joseph B. Bancroft.
    So also, of course, does the beautiful memorial library, erected and presented to the town of Hopedale by Mr.
    Bancroft in living memory of his wife, Mrs. Sylvia (Thwing) Bancroft, who like himself, was born in Uxbridge,
    thus strengthening Hopedale's Uxbridge connection. Milford Daily News

                    Ebenezer Draper         George and Hannah Draper         Joseph Bancroft         Sylvia Bancroft.        

                       
Almon Thwing                     Milford and Uxbridge Street Railway                       Thwing Family     

                                                
Hopedale Community  Menu           Draper Menu             HOME

    Hackett's article below contains some of the same information
    as the one above, but it has additional material also.