John Byrne with his daughters, Regina Byrne DelVecchio, Ann
    Marie Byrne Wiley and Mary Ruth Byrne Neilan. Since John isn't
    in his usual farm attire, it's likely that the picture was taken
    during some occasion - probably a family reunion at the farm.   

Peggy Byrne Cozzens

    Ann Marie Byrne Wiley and Tommy Byrne.
    Tommy is holding his cousin, Danny Malloy.
    (Yes, that's me.) The picture was taken
    during a family reunion, probably in 1942.

                                                   Heart’s Desire Farm

    These are a few memories from our years on Hartford Avenue in Hopedale…1941 –
    1949. We are a family of seven…our parents, John and Margaret Byrne and five
    children: Mary Ruth, Tommy, Peggy, Regina and Ann Marie, plus Nana Malloy, our
    grandmother, and Theresa, our aunt. We all lived in a small cape style house with
    one bathroom.

    Our parents bought the 54-acre farm from a Mr. Hoothay, a man Dad referred to as
    “The Finn.” Dad often had special names for people.

    Tommy christened the farm “Heart’s Desire.” Dad and Tom always wanted to be
    farmers. However, our small farm certainly didn’t provide sufficient income to support
    the family, so Dad also worked full time at Draper Corp. He was a first class fireman
    in the boiler room. His work hours varied weekly…first, second or third shift.

    We milked twelve or fourteen cows. There was the mean mother cow and mean Julia
    and gentle Daisy and Cleopatra to name a few. Dad sold the milk to Coffin’s Dairy in
    Mendon. We stored the milk in twenty-quart cans in the spring house, a small
    outbuilding with a sunken soapstone well cooled by cold spring water until it went to
    Coffin’s to be bottled and delivered.

    We also had a workhorse called Dick. When Dick was tired he would just head to the
    barn and if you were riding him you had to jump off or duck to keep from bumping
    your head on the barn door lintel.

    We also had three or four pigs and several dozen chickens. Mom used to sell the
    eggs and any old chickens that stopped laying went into the stewpot.

    Our closest neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Fred Morse, an old couple who lived very
    simply…no indoor plumbing. They used a small outhouse attached to the main
    house and they also used a large galvanized washtub for Saturday night baths.

    Our farm was divided…the house and hayfield and large garden were on the
    Hopedale side of the road and the barn and pastures were on the other side of
    Hartford Avenue in Mendon. We had an old Fordson tractor with metal treads on the
    wheels and Dad couldn’t drive it across the road on hot days because it would dig up
    the tar.

    True to the Irish tradition, we had a huge potato garden. I guess we were
    environmentally conscious in the 40s because we picked the potato bugs off by hand
    and dropped them into a coffee can containing a small amount of kerosene. Our
    reward…Dad would burn them.

    One winter we cared for a lady’s pregnant goat. We named her Beauty. Beauty had
    two really cute kids named Grace and Charm. They were a lot of fun.

    Another incident we recall was one snowy night a man from Mendon on his way
    home from working at the fish pier in Boston skidded off of Hartford Avenue into the
    ditch. With our horse pulling and us kids pushing we got the truck back on the road.
    As a reward the man frequently brought us fresh fish for Friday dinner.

    Our brother Tom had a BB gun and target practice with old tin cans was a fun
    pastime. One day our Mother said, “How would you like me to put a BB through the
    mailbox?” She did!!! We knew it was beginner’s luck.

    In the big field of squash and pumpkins, Dad watched one particularly large blue
    ribbon squash. Finally, harvest time arrived but to his disappointment a woodchuck
    had hollowed it out.

    Our chores varied with Dad’s work schedule. Peggy was the fastest when it came to
    milking…all done by hand.

    Mom and Dad used to laugh because Mary Ruth went from working at Lilly’s Jewelry
    Store in Milford to coming home, putting on old clothes and then mixing grain and
    molasses for the pigs. I'm sure that Tommy did most of the heavy work and Regina
    and Ann Marie got to lead cows to the drinking tub and give them their grain and hay.

    We had a “Surrey with a fringe on top” and Dad would hitch up Dick and take us for
    rides, especially when our city cousins came to visit. In the winter we had a big sleigh
    and we all remember the sleigh rides to Lowell’s Restaurant in Mendon with our
    cousins and Uncle Bill Byrne buying us all a hotdog and a hot chocolate. The horse
    would be steaming from his exertion and sleigh bells would be ringing as he pulled us
    along, as we all snuggled together under the blankets.

    In January 1948, our Grandmother, Mary Brennan Byrne, died during a huge
    snowstorm. Grandma and Aunt Nellie Byrne lived in a newly built home next door to
    us. The snow drifts were so high that the plows had crews of men working with them
    in certain areas to shovel and break the drifts. Dad and all of us kids shoveled east
    from our house up to Route 140, about ¼ mile, so that the undertaker, Joseph
    Edwards, could get through. When the plows reached our house coming from the
    west, they were pleasantly surprised to find the road already cleared. The town of
    Hopedale later compensated us for our efforts.

    In the 40s, Plain Street was a dirt road and it was the shortest way for Dad to get to
    work at Drapers. He traveled in an old green truck that unfortunately backfired fairly
    often. If Dad worked the 11 to 7 shift on Saturday night, the quiet of Hopedale’s
    Sunday mornings was often shattered. Our mother’s brother, Tom Malloy, was the
    police chief at the time, and because of several complaints from sleepy residents,
    threatened to ticket Dad if he didn’t get the truck fixed!

    Making root beer was one of Nana Malloy’s specialties. What we remember about the
    root beer is not only the great taste, but also its explosive qualities. On several
    occasions a bottle exploded and sprayed root beer all over the ceiling.

    During the war years the grain often came in printed sacks. The goal was to get
    enough of the same print. Mom made curtains and a washing machine cover from
    the blue print ones. There was always the fear that the mice would chew a hole in the
    middle of the bag and it would only be good for a dish towel instead of a broomstick
    skirt or curtains, and we looked forward to each grain delivery to see the design and
    its condition.

    We moved from Heart’s Desire in October 1949 to Dell Dale Farm in Littleton. The
    farm in Hopedale was bought by people by the name of Varney. Draper Corporation
    later bought it, or perhaps part of it - the part north of Hartford Avenue, and turned it
    into Hopedale Airport. I’m sure that neither my parents nor I ever dreamed that forty
    years later their grandson, my son, Greg DelVecchio, and my cousin, Gary Wright,
    would be piloting small aircraft from the “big field” and former site of our large family
    reunions. (See below for photos of Gary and plane in 1994 when he came from
    Reading Pennsylvania to Hopedale to visit his parents.)

    Regina Byrne DelVecchio
    November 2009

             Parkside Dairy Farm        Milk Routes of Hopedale, Mendon and Milford  

South Hopedale Menu          Memories Menu          Hopedale Airport         HOME   

And Peggy again.

    The former Byrne family house
    shown in December 2009.

    Across Hartford Avenue from the house, on the Mendon
    side of the street, is the site where the barn once stood.

    The former Byrne home (right, second from runway), Hartford
    Avenue, and the end of the Hopedale Airport runway. 2010

    This article, as you can see, was from 1934, during the
    Dust Bowl years in the mid-west. Back before the Byrne
    family was at the Hartford Avenue farm, they had a farm in
    East Upton, where they were when they took delivery of
    cattle that had been starving. There was an actual cattle
    drive from the train station to John's farm. They had to
    work at keeping the cattle moving, because they wanted to
    stop for every bite of grass or weeds that they could find
    along the road.

  Parkside Dairy Farm        Milk Routes of Hopedale, Mendon and Milford  

South Hopedale Menu          Memories Menu          Hopedale Airport         HOME