Hopedale's Kleber Campbell Has Been
                                        Country Doctor Fifty Years

                                                                       By Lillian D. Archibald

      If Hopedale were to name its man of the half century, a leading candidate would be Kleber A.
    Campbell, M.D.  

     The year 1950 represents two special milestones in the physician's life. This summer, he and Mrs.
    Campbell celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. This fall marked the 50th anniversary of his
    practice in the small industrial town of 3500.

     There is probably no one in the town who does not know the popular, mild-mannered doctor. Until
    recent years there were very few families who had never called him. The devotion of Hopedale was
    shown when a purse was given to Dr. Campbell and his wife on their golden wedding anniversary.

     Typically, the modest couple were actually surprised that anyone know of the important event.  Dr.
    Campbell waited 16 days after his arrival in Hopedale for his first patient, a man whom he later treated
    for smallpox. Now, a half-century later, he still treats members of the first patient's family.

     Upon graduation from Albany Medical School in 1900, Dr. Campbell went to Upton to substitute for
    the late Dr. Edward C. Traver, who was then in Europe. While in Upton. Dr. Campbell received word he
    had passed his state board examinations and he immediately returned to Albany to marry the former
    Miss Mary Brewster Safford.

     When Dr. Traver, who had originally intended to sell his practice, returned to Upton, he had changed
    his mind. This left Dr. Campbell without a medical practice and with a new wife to support.

     After visiting several communities in central Massachusetts, Dr. Campbell decided to settle in
    Hopedale. He and Mrs. Campbell spent three weeks in attic rooms on Union Street, then lived three
    years in what is now the Legion Home on Hopedale Street. They moved into their present home at 82
    Hopedale Street 47 years ago.

     Dr. Campbell also had an office in Mendon. His first house call there had to be entered on the red
    side of the ledger. Coming out of a house where he had diagnosed a youngster's ailment as typhoid,
    he found his horse ill. Veterinarian's treatment and overnight board for the sick horse, plus the hire of
    another to take him back to Hopedale came to $5.

     Not disheartened, Dr. Campbell continued to his next call - a Mendon housewife.

     "I felt pretty good," he smiled, "for I now had two patients in Mendon."

     He returned to one Mendon home the next morning to find another physician's buggy departing. The
    family reported that fear of typhoid caused them to summon another doctor - but gave the young
    Hopedale physician a dollar for his trip.

     Contagious diseases were the great bugaboo of the medical profession when Dr. Campbell was
    beginning his career. "More doctors and nurses died of diphtheria than of any other malady," he noted.
    Not only was it dangerous, but it was sometimes elusive in detection, especially in children. Croup
    was common among children, and membranous croup, one of the two varieties was, in fact, a form of
    diphtheria the doctor said.  

     Before the discovery of the antitoxin, 40 percent of all diphtheria cases were fatal, 40 percent
    recovered completely, and 20 percent were left crippled in some way, Dr. Campbell explained.

     "Once we began to use the antitoxin, we seldom lost a case. We would take a throat swab and send
    it to Boston for analysis, and if the result was positive, the laboratory would phone so that treatment
    could be commenced. If negative, a letter was written, stating the result."

     The last fatal case of diphtheria treated by Dr. Campbell occurred in 1924 in a child who had been ill
    and without professional treatment for a week. A high school boy who had already been inoculated
    had a mild case about seven years ago. Though he had been in school, no one else caught it, this
    served to prove the effectiveness of the toxoid in immunization, the doctor emphasized.

     "One doctor told me he had not seen a single case of diphtheria in Milford in 15 years," Dr. Campbell
    noted. "This does not mean that parents should be careless about inoculations, but rather that they
    should continue to be diligent in protecting their children from diphtheria."

     Typhoid, malaria, scarlet fever, and even smallpox were not rare diseases to the doctor of 50 years
    ago. However, Dr. Campbell had never encountered malaria before coming to Upton. His knowledge
    of it was entirely academic. His first case appeared to respond to treatment, but on the third day when
    the patient's temperature rose again, he was baffled. He asked the druggist if anyone had ever had
    malaria in that town and was surprised to learn that it was not uncommon. Armed with this information
    and some quinine, the doctor cured his patient. Dr. Campbell recalled that he himself had had malaria
    in 1913.

     When a case of smallpox was discovered in Hopedale in 1902, the patient was isolated in a building
    on Route 140 near the Upton line. "People would drive miles out of their way just to avoid going past
    the pest house," Dr. Campbell said.

     Everyone was advised to get a vaccination. The doctor inoculated Kleber, Jr., his three week-old son,
    and as an extra precaution, always changed his clothes in the corn crib before coming into his own

     Dr. Campbell admitted with a chuckle that he took pride in knowing Calvin Coolidge, who had been a
    fraternity brother of his at Amherst College. Another classmate was Dwight W. Morrow, onetime U.S.
    ambassador to Mexico.

     "I had a group picture of our fraternity with Coolidge included, which I kept in a bureau drawer until he
    became governor of Massachusetts. Then I took it out and had it framed," he revealed.

     A native of West Rutland, Vt., Dr. Campbell lived only 25 miles from Coolidge. After he bought a one-
    cylinder 1908 Cadillac, he took his horse Rob, a gift from his father, back to Vermont. Rob was very
    dear to the doctor who had had bad luck with horses - first a sick one and then another which was
    killed by a streetcar's snowplow. Rob often brought the doctor home from Mendon while he slept.

     Though those extra projects were not successful, the doctor's practice has been. He now has to refer
    a great many cases to other physicians. "We have some fine doctor's here in Milford and Hopedale,"
    he said, "and they have been very kind to me." Dr. Campbell didn't mention his kindness to
    newcomers to the profession, often giving them the recommendation which brought them his

     The doctor does not often make night calls now, for he isn't able. "I will go when no other doctor is
    available, or in an emergency," he said. "People have been very considerate about not calling me
    during evening hours. The only thing is I'm afraid many of them think I have retired completely."

     Dr. Campbell does not belong to the category of general practitioners who are against specialists.
    He does not hesitate to recommend special treatment when he thinks it necessary, and he has sent
    many young mothers to pediatricians. "When I began my practice," he said, "only the very 'ignorant' fed
    their babies foods that are now given to all modern babies."

     Pasteurized milk was a cause for which Dr. Campbell fought ardently. The late Freeman Lowell, then
    head of a Mendon dairy, lent support and delivered pasteurized milk for three months before labeling it
    on his bottle caps, the doctor related.

     "The first morning the new caps appeared there were many complaints. But the dealer just told his
    customers they'd been using pasteurized milk three months. He explained that he just hadn't wanted
    to waste all his old labels," Dr. Campbell smiled.

     Shelves of the doctor's inner office have a fascinating array of bottles of all shapes and colors. Many
    of the bottles contain products now seldom used.

     "The 1950 edition of 'Current Therapy,' a medical textbook, contains a new treatment for one-third of
    all diseases covered in the previous year's book," the doctor said, "illustrating how rapidly the medical
    profession progresses." Dr. Campbell has always dispensed some of his own medicines.

     Of socialized medicine, Dr. Campbell says, "I think it would be horrible. Doctors don't want politicians
    telling them what to do and people don't want to be told which doctor they must have."

     One question about Dr. Campbell must have bothered most of the people in Hopedale though it is
    doubtful that any ever asked it. That is, "Do you feel disappointed that your own son did not follow your

    The doctor volunteered an answer in referring to a sermon he had heard at Amherst. The minister
    said if he were asked to advise the ten ablest men in the audience he would send them not into his
    own profession, the ministry, but into law, where he felt, there was the greatest need and the most
    opportunity for young men.

     So impressed was Dr. Campbell by that sermon that he, the nephew of physicians of both sides of
    his family, guided his own son toward study of law.

     Kleber Campbell, Jr. or Grafton is now a Worcester attorney. Dr. Campbell's daughter, Katharine, wife
    of Joseph S. Seville, and a grandson Richard W. live at 18 Germain Street, Worcester.

     His namesake grandson, 2nd Lt. Kleber Campbell, 3rd, is in the Korean area.

     Dr. Campbell is looking forward to many more years of service. He has had a full and rewarding life
    but he still feels his work is not done. He looks to the years ahead with ever-increasing interest and
    enthusiasm. Work and helping others is a way of life with Dr. Campbell. He has found it a happy way
    of life.

     Lillian Archibald is a free lance feature writer. She lives in Hopedale. Worcester Sunday Telegram,
    Dec. 31, 1950.

                                                             Memories Menu                            HOME   

    Thanks to Priscilla Koopman for the
    picture of Dr. Campbell by his car.

Hopedale Village Cemetery

    The following paragraphs are from the autobiography of Dr. Verner Johnson.

    Deciding to go to Hopedale, Massachusetts was after a lot of thought. Nancy and I had seen a good
    part of the country, we knew sort of what we wanted in that we felt priority came in raising a family in a
    good atmosphere and a good place to live.

    Here again Dr. Kirkendall was a factor. He was the one who had heard about the opportunity in
    Hopedale. Dr. Marble had retired and had sold his home on 41 Adin Street to the Draper Corporation.
    At that time the Draper Corporation was the world’s largest manufacturer of textile looms and it was a
    booming business. There was only one doctor in town, Dr. Kleiber Campbell, who was about 88 or 90
    with an invalid wife. His son, incidentally was a lawyer in Worcester and subsequently became our
    attorney. They were a tremendous family.

    Dr. Campbell had been there for some 40 years and had suffered bad times when he over-extended
    himself in the stock market buying “on margin” and then came the Depression. He was a true
    homeopath who believed in one or two grains of aspirin instead of five, but a fatherly type, beautiful
    man who obviously welcomed the thought of someone coming in.

    Click here for the rest of Dr. Johnson's autobiography.