Click here to go to the complete version of the reports.                     

                                                       Library Reports
               
    This page was posted on December 26, 2011. I expect to make additions to it as soon as I get a
    chance. I took this information from the library reports, printed in the town reports. My main interest in
    doing it was to find out about a few items at the Bancroft Library. There are several portraits of
    unidentified persons on the walls there, and a few other items of unknown origin, etc. In doing this I
    recorded other information that I found interesting, such as the two locations of the library before the
    Bancroft Library was built, the year a telephone was first installed, the Victola concerts, the South
    Hopedale Library, etc. Years where I found nothing of that sort recorded, I have noted, "Nothing of
    significance."

    1886 – At the first opportunity after the incorporation of Hopedale as a town, its citizens expressed a
    desire and intention to have a Public Library, and at a caucus for the nomination of the first board of
    town officers, the Trustees of the Public Library were included.

    Frequent inquiries had been made of the Trustees about the time when a reading room or library
    would be ready for use, but no suitable place could be found until Mr. George Draper generously
    offered us, rent free, the rooms formerly occupied by the Post Office, (on the site where the police
    station is now) and on December 27 the rooms were opened for a reading room and reference library.

    Friday preceding the opening of the rooms to the public, an invitation to inspect them was extended to
    the different boards of town officers and their friends. A good number were present, and the early
    circulation of books was made possible by gifts of $500 each, from Mr. Eben S. Draper and Mr.
    George A. Draper, the amount to be expended for standard works in the various departments of
    literature. By the liberal contribution of Gen. William F. Draper, we have been able to furnish the
    reading room with a valuable reference library. The keys of the library rooms were delivered to the
    Trustees on the twenty-sixth day of October, by the janitor, Mr. Julien Shaw.

    1887 – At the beginning of 1887, the library consisted of about one hundred volumes of reference
    books which we had been able to purchase through the liberality of General William F. Draper,
    besides a considerable number of current periodicals. The reading room had been then open but one
    week. Although the donations of Mr. George A. Draper and Mr. Eben S. Draper were available for the
    purchase of books for circulation, it was thought best to delay purchasing and circulating them until
    they could be permanently located; for the building designed and erected for town purposes by the late
    Mr. George Draper contained rooms destined for the use of the library and was rapidly approaching
    completion. Unfortunately, however, the work was not completed at the expected time, for the interior
    finish had been destroyed by fire while still in the mill of the contractors. This accident, with other
    circumstances, caused so long delay that the Trustees decided to purchase books and begin to
    circulate them from the temporary rooms. On the fourth of June the registry for borrowers was opened
    and four books were delivered.

    1888 – This report contains a list of many items from the early days of Hopedale that had been
    obtained, Ballou well as a portrait of Adin Ballou that was hung on the wall of the reading room.

    On the twenty-fifth of October the Hopedale Town Hall was dedicated with appropriate exercises, of
    which the chief feature was an oration by ex-governor John Davis Long of Hingham.

    1889 – Among the donations of Rev. Adin Ballou is a manuscript catalogue of 356 books of the
    “Hopedale Library” (Hopedale Community library) loaned to the “Hopedale Mechanics Association.”

    1890 – Nothing of significance.

    1891 – Nothing of significance.

    1892 – This has been the most prosperous year since the library began because of the increased
    amount of money appropriated, enabling the trustees to furnish the patrons with nearly double the
    amount of new books this year over last. This is attested by about one thousand more visitors during
    the year, and more than this number of books taken for home use.

    1893 – Nothing of significance.

    1894 - Nothing of significance.

    1895 - Nothing of significance.

    1896 - Nothing of significance.

    1897 – Through the munificence of two of our townspeople, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph B. Bancroft, the
    library is in possession of $1000, the income from which is to be available for the purchase of books.

    1898 – Some very fine books have been added to the library. We have to thank Mr. Frank J. Dutcher,
    and through him the Hopedale Sunday school, for some five hundred volumes, almost new.

    Through the courtesy of Mr. J.B. Bancroft, the trustees have been given an opportunity to carefully study
    the plans of the memorial building he is erecting as the permanent home of the library. It carries out
    the latest ideas in library architecture as regards beauty and convenience, and will stand a blessing
    and example to future generations.

    1899 – The end of 1899 finds the library permanently settled in its new home. The Bancroft Memorial
    Library, which has been so generously given to the town by Mr. Joseph B. Bancroft in memory of his
    wife, Mrs. Sylvia W. Thwing Bancroft. For beauty, elegance of finish, and perfect adaptation to the
    purpose for which it was designed, nothing is left to be desired. It will long remain as a fitting
    memorial of a noble woman, and the thanks, not only of the present, but of future generations, will
    descend upon the generous giver. In no other way could so many lives be reached and benefited as
    by a public bequest of this kind.

    1900 – The trustees have endeavored to extend the usefulness of the library in every way possible,
    and to that end a number of books have been sent to the school at South Hopedale. These books
    have been loaned for home use, just as from the main library, the teacher kindly acting as librarian.

    1901 – Mr. and Mrs. Charles M. Day have given the bronze by Bouchon, “Science et progres,” which
    has been placed over the fireplace in the trustees’ room. (It’s now in the reference room.) The cast
    which has been placed over the door leading to the librarian’s room is the gift of Mrs. F.E. Colburn.

    1902 – Our unique gift of the year is from Mr. Eben S. Draper, and is the first copy of “The Mammoth,” a
    four-page, 4 in. by 6 in. in size, published in 1845 by Adin Augustus Ballou, son of Rev. Adin Ballou,
    and so framed that the four pages can be read.

    1903 – At the request of several residents of South Hopedale, we opened a branch library on March 6,
    when seventeen books and eighteen cards were given out. Mrs. A.F.W. Smith offered to take charge of
    the work, without compensation, and the books were received at and delivered from her home for five
    months, when her removal from town necessitated a change. Then Miss Dewing assumed the
    responsibility and the experiment is still going on.

    1904 – The branch library at South Hopedale has been discontinued. (It was reopened within a few
    years.)

    The account of the presentation of the beautiful fountain, placed on the land south of the library and
    given to the care of the trustees, has a special place in the report elsewhere.

    1905 – We had a second exhibition of amateur photography and this year proved more successful that
    the one preceding; 309 pictures were exhibited and 804 people visited the library during the two
    weeks of the exhibit – a larger number than last year.

    The work about the building and the fountain as planned by Mr. Manning, the landscape gardener, is
    not quite completed.

    1906 – The walk in front of the fountain has been completed this year in a most satisfactory manner,
    after the plan of Mr. Manning, the landscape gardener.

    1907 – Early in the year Mrs. A.B. Heywood completed our file of the “Practical Christian.” This was a
    semi-monthly paper which was published for twenty years under the editorship of Adin Ballou.

    1908 – The only addition to the Local History Collection has been in the form of photographs for the
    loose-leaf album. Of these thirty-five prints, nearly all are of older Hopedale, as it no longer exists.

    To answer the question, how largely is your reading room used by men, an account has been kept
    during the year. Only wage earners or those having plainly reached men’s estate were counted. This
    was quite possible in a town of our size where the desk attendant is acquainted with all the users. The
    record shows that 2,935 readers or nearly one-third of all the users were men.

    1909 – Miss Grace Dutcher has contributed 54 numbers of Our Church Home, but our file is still
    incomplete.

    1910 – The Sunday opening still seems wise. We have had an average of 11, the largest number for
    any one Sunday being 23 and this makes the trustees feel warranted in keeping to the plan adopted
    ten years ago.

    Mr. and Mrs. Edward L. Osgood presented the picture of Whittier, a brief history of which seems well
    worth recording. This original portrait of Whittier was done by an artist, Mr. Thompson, then greatly in
    vogue, for the publishing firm of Fields, Osgood and Company, about the time Mr. Whittier came most
    prominently before the public. After the dissolution of the firm, Mr. James R. Osgood owned the portrait
    and greatly prized it, especially as Mr. Whittier always very much liked it himself. Mr. James R. Osgood
    gave it to his brother, Mr. Edward L. Osgood, and as the portrait has grown to be of importance, Mr.
    Osgood felt it should be in a public place somewhere in New England, as Mr. Whittier is so identified
    with this part of our country, with its history during a very stirring period and comes so closely to the
    hearts of its people, Mr. Osgood’s choice for a place to hang the portrait was the Bancroft Memorial
    Library and with the approval of the trustees it was placed on the walls.

    1911 – The value of our library is much increased by our branch in So. Hopedale. Mrs. Smith has
    distributed two thousand one hundred and sixty five books and it is remarkable that from her own
    home and in a rather scattered community, she has found it possible to accomplish so much.

    The means of supplying water for drinking from the fountain has proven something of a problem. The
    new law forbids general drinking glasses and, though three experts were consulted, no practical plan
    was presented. We hope to solve the problem in a satisfactory manner next spring.

    Mr. Osgood’s death on June tenth was a distinct loss to the library. The trustees had always found him
    an agreeable, intelligent and interested co-worker. He served the town as a Trustee more than twelve
    years. He gave it the handsomely framed portrait of Whittier, the favorite picture of the author himself.
    He gave the typewriter which has been found indispensable in the work of the library. No year has
    passed but a goodly number of books or magazines have been added to the list through his
    generosity and interest.

    We are proud of our percentage of circulation per capita and justly so, since ours is nearly eleven
    percent and that of the entire state is less than four percent. We want ours to be a “modern public
    library,” which as someone has said, “is the change from a museum or repository of books to that of a
    dynamic social agency.”

    1912 – Mrs. Smith has doubled the size of the original room, had bookcases built around the sides
    and given the whole place a very business-like appearance. (South Hopedale Library)

    We have adopted an approved plan for disinfecting books.

    It has not yet been found possible to arrange for general drinking purposes (from the Statue of Hope)
    and retain the wonderful beauty of the fountain.

    To try to equalize the heat and have it more uniform, a thermostat has been presented, which is
    already proving its worth. (Donated by Anna Bancroft, who also donated two light fixtures.)

    The salary of the janitor has been increased to cover the increase in his rent. The increase in the price
    of coal has made another item of extra expense. Then, too, the price of fiction and some non-fiction
    has increased on an average of 20 percent within the past two years, a fact deplored by all trustees
    and librarians in the country. We respectfully recommend $3000 and proceeds of the dog tax for the
    expenses of the coming year.

    1913 – Of the 398 libraries in our commonwealth we were the seventh in per capita circulation in 1911.

    We have received a gift of one thousand dollars from Lilla Bancroft Bracken, for which the Trustees
    desire to thus publicly express their thanks, in behalf of the citizens of Hopedale. The money is to be
    called the Sarah M. Whipple Fund, the income to be spent annually for books for children.

    Following the experiment tried in a library in Wisconsin, we have adopted the plan of giving a concert
    on a Victrola, the first Sunday in the month, during the hours the library is open for reading.

    We have bought ten books in German this year and John Foster Carr’s Guide to the United States for
    the Italian Immigrant has been given; these are the additions to our necessarily small collection of
    books in foreign languages.

    Again this year our Local History Collection has been increased through the kindness of Mr. F.J.
    Dutcher, in giving copies of the Christmas program for 1880-1881, program for the dedication of the
    town hall, Citizen’s ticket ballot for 1886, and a pamphlet, Non-resistance in relation to human
    governments. At present this material has no systematic arrangement though carefully preserved, and
    with the present amount of routine work and assistance little can be done. Extra service could be used
    to lasting advantage in putting this valuable material in permanent, classified form that could be easily
    consulted.

    The large leaded glass windows in the reference room were in such a state of disrepair that they were
    sent to the factory and the glass entirely reset.

    1914 – After a successful experiment with a loaned machine, a Victrola was presented by Anna M.
    Bancroft. This has been used not only for the regular concerts, but has been used on the story hour
    days to acquaint the children with some of the finest compositions and voices that are now before the
    public.

    Under the will of Lura Bancroft Day, twenty thousand dollars was left to the library to be used as the
    Joseph B. and Sylvia W. Bancroft Fund, and five thousand dollars to be used as the Bancroft-Day Fund.

    1915 – Total attendance at the Victrola concerts was 371 as against 296 in 1914.

    The twenty Italian books loaned to the library by the Massachusetts Library Commission circulated 42
    times during the year and a new set was loaned from the same source in October.

    The systematic arrangement and cataloging of the local history material already collected  is now
    ready to go to the bindery. Miss Bailey has made three valuable additions to the collection, one an
    invitation to a “Social Gathering of the Young People of Hopedale” held at the Chapel, March 14, 1857,
    the other two programs of more recent date.

    The Draper Company on application from the library for missing numbers of Cotton Chats gave us a
    complete file already bound.

    1916 Susan Thwing Whitney donated a portrait of her father, Almon Thwing.

    1917Mrs. A.T. Gifford of Fitchburg donated four daguerreotypes of Community people with their
    names, and the Water Cure Journal for 1851, bound. Mr. F. J. Dutcher donated three photos of older
    Hopedale houses, one of which was the Parsonage in the early days.

    1918 – The library closed for six weeks due to the flu epidemic.

    A new cover was made for the Statue of Hope. Something more permanent is recommended.

    Adin Ballou’s desk was donated by Mrs. George H. Davis.

    The latch from Adin Ballou’s study door was given to the library by Mr. J.E. Barnes of Milford.

    F.J. Dutcher gave a picture of the early shops framed in wood from the Temple Shop.

    1919 – A telephone was installed in the library.

    In addition, she (librarian, Harriet Sornborger) has arranged for an Americanization movement for the
    benefit of the Italian residents of the Town, and she has given much time and effort towards helping
    them understand our and customs. During October the librarian called on the families of Italian birth
    and invited the women to come to the library on the afternoon of October 21 and meet their compatriot,
    the Princess Boncompagni. Miss Bancroft and the librarian told of the advantages with the library
    wished to furnish them. Miss Powell, the district nurse, told of her work. The Princess, after her own
    word of greeting, explained in Italian what had been said by the previous speakers.

    The Branch Library in South Hopedale continues to develop each year. An attractive sign was added
    early in the spring. Although this Branch is open but one day each week, it has circulated over 3,000
    books during the past year. Mrs. Smith is entitled to great credit for this notable showing.

    Mrs. Frances Colburn donated $10,000 to the library.

    1920 – The library was given 156 books in Italian by Princess Boncompagni. Lists of the books were
    sent home from school with children of Italian families.

    Due to severe storms, there was no trolley service to South Hopedale from February 6 to April 2, so
    books couldn’t be sent to the South Hopedale Library during that time.

    W.H. Jordan gave a copy of the Practical Christian for October 12, 1844.

    1921 – The library received books in Polish and Armenian from the Massachusetts Library
    Commission.

    Adin A. Messinger gave a souvenir of the dedication of the town hall and other items.

    1922 – Donations of books and papers connected to Hopedale’s history were made by Rev. Lewis
    Wilson, Mr. and Mrs. Carroll Drown, Frank Dutcher, Princess Boncompagni, and Charles Foster.

    1923 – Items of value to our Local History Collection have been given by Miss Anna M. Bancroft, Mr. B.
    H.B. Draper, Miss Grace Dutcher, and Mr. J.S. Henry.

    1924 – Nothing of significance.

    1925 – Princess Boncompagni gave $500 for book purchases.

    1926 – Nothing of significance.

    1927 – The Children’s Room, including a new entrance, bathrooms, and furniture, was donated by
    Anna Bancroft.

    1928 – Nothing of significance.

    1929 – Portraits of Joseph and Sylvia Bancroft, Warren and Malinda Dutcher, Ebenezer and Anna
    Draper and George and Hannah Draper donated by the Bancrofts.

    1930 – Framed picture of Fanny Osgood with her golfing medals donated by her brother, Dana
    Osgood. (Miss Osgood had died the previous year.)

    1931 – No narrative other than a brief mention of  “items of value to our Local History Collection.”

    1932- Nothing of significance.

    1933- A lock and key from the work-shop door of Rev. Adin Ballou with the original screws has been
    presented to the library this year by Mr. Warren H. Stevens of Milford and will be kept with our other
    historical material.

    1934 – We were very generously given the opportunity to choose books from the private library of the
    late Mr. George Albert Draper. Two hundred fifty books were taken. Two splendid bookcases with
    glass doors were also donated. One is used in the Children’ Room to store the Helen Draper Ayer
    collection.

    1935 – When it is considered that two-thirds of the total population hold library cards, that the
    circulation is larger than in many towns having twice the population and that this circulation is equal to
    every resident of Hopedale taking from the library a book each month during the year 1935, something
    of the importance of the contribution of the library to the educational and social life of the town can be
    appreciated.

    1936 – The Trustees have improved the heating system by the installation of an oil burner.

    1937 – The library has for many years been entrusted with valuable papers, files of old newspapers,
    books and writings relating to the Town of Hopedale, Adin Ballou, the churches and their various
    organizations and many of our honored citizens. For the protection and safe-keeping of these valuable
    records, a fire-proof cabinet has been installed.

    1938 – Mr. Carlos F. Hunt and his sister, Miss Shirley Hunt, presented the library with portraits of
    William Henry Humphrey and Almira Brown Humphrey which were painted by their daughter, Elizabeth
    Bullock Humphrey. They also added another copy of Child Life by Miss Humphrey to our local history
    collection.

    Three dozen lantern slide plates showing views of the town in Community days have been given to us
    by Mrs. Frank Dutcher.
           
    1939 – The total circulation, including the South Hopedale Branch, was 32,337.

    1940 – Miss Anna M. Bancroft gave postal cards for the picture collection.

    Mr. Ernest R. Dalton has loaned the library for an indefinite period a copy of his paper on the History of
    the Hopedale Community. (The Dalton menu is near the bottom of the page that the link will take you
    to.) Appended thereto is an interesting and valuable bibliography which describes source material
    concerning local history.

    1941 – Mr. Harry A. Billings presented to the library a written record of the history of the Grafton & Upton
    Railroad, prepared by Mr. A.D. Johnson and Mr. L. R. Dodge.

    1942 – Miss Anna M. Bancroft, a Trustee for more than forty years, and for many years Chairman of the
    Board, died May 31st, 1942, in her ninetieth year.

    The pageant which celebrated the one hundredth anniversary of the establishment of the Hopedale
    Community was the occasion of several interesting and valuable additions to the local history
    collection in the Library. Mrs. Ruth D. Beals presented two typed copies of the pageant; Miss Lucy E.
    Day, a spike taken from the Old House; Mrs. Charles A. Forster, a copy of the first annual sermon
    before the Hopedale High School delivered by Mr. L. G. Wilson; Mrs. Sophia Walker Piper, a
    photograph of the Old House; Miss Emma Wells, five photographs of Hopedale taken around 1885;
    and Mr. James Young, a map of Hopedale made in 1916.

    1943 – The coming year marks twenty years of service by the South Hopedale Branch of the main
    library under the supervision of Miss Adeline A. Caldwell. Once a week the Branch Librarian has
    opened her home to the public in this district for the circulation of books and the use of reference
    material.

    1944 -  Mrs. B.H.B Draper, Sr. has given an interesting collection of foreign coins and paper money.
    Mr. B.H.B. Draper, Jr. presented the library with photographs valuable for local historical records. Mr. H.
    H. Townshend has given many albums of foreign views and art, as well as photographs of people
    prominent in early days in Hopedale and vicinity. (Mrs. Townshend was the twin sister of Fannie
    Osgood.)

    1945 – Since the ending of the war it has been a great delight to welcome young men back from years
    of service. Already return to normal ways of living is reflected in increased circulation.

    Important additions to the library’s collection of local history came from the Osgood-Townshend
    Estate in the way of books, photographs and pieces of furniture. A picture of Hopedale’s “old house” is
    a treasured gift from Mr. B.H.B. Draper, Jr. (Around the time, the Osgoods,and later the Townshends,
    were living at The Larches.)

    1946 – Nothing of significance.

    1947 – An art exhibit, “Significant War Scenes by Battlefront Artists,” in photographic prints, attracted
    favorable attention. Among the pictures was a reproduction of a painting by William F. Draper entitled,
    “Helldivers on an Essex Class Carrier.”

    1948 – Miss Caldwell’s interest in the reading programs of her community has been much
    appreciated and the good-will of many friends goes to her in her retirement, (She had operated the
    library out of her home for twenty-five years.) The Branch Library has found a suitable location at the
    home of Mrs. Asa A. Jones, a place centrally situated in this fast-growing district.

    Mr. S.F. Smith presented the library with a framed group photograph of the Hopedale Zouaves, dated
    1887.

    1949 – Rare manuscripts dealing with early Hopedale days presented by Adin Ballou’s
    granddaughter, Mrs. John Holden, as well as children’s books once in the Ballou family, sent by Miss
    Letty Davis, have added greatly to the interest and value of the early Hopedale items.

    1950 – The collection of local history book, pictures and maps furnished pleasure and interest to
    many who visited the Library booth at the Town Hall Hobby Show. Much of this material pertaining to
    early Hopedale days is often of use in the schools.

    1951 – Through the kindness of Mr. Eugene S. Newhall the Library received a framed picture of the
    Grafton and Upton Railroad engines beginning with and since 1874. This interesting photograph now
    hangs in the Reference Room.

    1952 – Mr. B.H.B.Draper, Jr., has presented the library with many bound state financial records and a
    large framed picture of Governor Draper and his cabinet.

    1953 – Valuable gifts from the great-granddaughter of Reverend Adin Ballou include the family Bible,
    portraits in oil of Reverend Ballou and his wife Lucy, and an oil painting of the “Old House,” the
    Community home of Hopedale’s first settlers.

    1954 – Leaks have been repaired in the roof, trimmings of the building painted, and a gold leaf sign
    over the door reading "The Bancroft Memorial Library" was added.

    1955 - Nothing of significance.

    1956 – The trustees have continued their policy of maintaining the building as nearly as possible in its
    original beauty. In accordance with this policy, the floors have had their refinishing and troublesome
    leaks in the walls and roof have been repaired. The installation of an ornamental iron railing on the
    entrance steps has added greatly to the safety of persons using the library.

    In June, Mr. James Young resigned from his position as custodian. He had served in that capacity for
    31 years. His kindness and courtesy and his interest in the welfare of the library will be greatly
    missed. The Trustees appointed Mr. Gerald Dee as custodian.

    1957 – Now we face the challenges and problems of the atomic age. In the midst of the confusion and
    fear, it is ours to guard and develop one institution that is a heritage to our American freedom, the
    Public Library.

    1958 – In October the Hopedale Community Historical Society held its first annual exhibition in the
    library. In spite of the time and effort required on the part of Mr. Gordon Norton and his committee the
    exhibit seems to have been eminently worthwhile in calling the public attention to “Old Hopedale” and
    the Historical Society.

    1959 – Mrs. Irene Ferguson, Librarian since 1953, retired on August 1st.

    1960 – Our heartfelt thanks go to Mrs. Irvin Ammen and Miss Helen Butterworth for their gift of a
    beautiful fifty star flag.

    1961 – The total circulation figures for the year are 48,330. That includes the circulation from the
    Branch Library, which was 3,365.

    1962 – The Garden Club has continued to put flower arrangements in the library each month. This
    same club has done Memorial planting around the fountain and at the back near the Children’s Room
    entrance.

    The Bancroft Memorial Library is now a member of the Central Regional Area of Massachusetts,
    which has its headquarters in Fitchburg.

    1963 – Mrs. Constance Jones, Branch Librarian resigned in July of 1963. She had held this position
    since February of 1949 and wa an enthusiastic and interested Librarian. Mrs. Elizabeth Butcher was
    appointed by the Trustees to take her place. Mrs. Butcher has contacted the administrator of the new
    Hopedale Garden Nursing Home and is going to take books to the patients there once a week as an
    added library service.

    1964 – The total circulation figures for the year are 53, 213.

    1965 – In March, the two Librarians, Mrs. Clark and Mrs. Hattersley, gave book reviews at the Evening
    Alliance of the Unitarian Church.

    1966 – Mrs. Butcher visits the Hopedale Garden Rest Home with books and the Main Library takes a
    deposit of books to the Griffin Apartments about every 6 weeks.

    1967 – The figures this year show a decrease in our circulation and read 55,463 as against 56,553 for
    1966.

    1968 – The Trustees and the Library staff wish to acknowledge with great appreciation a gift made to
    the Library of a Book Deposit. This was made possible through the efforts of Postmaster John
    Bresciani and Assistant Postmaster Robert Weaver who were able to procure an old mail box with
    has been refurbished and painted. Our thanks go to Mr. Alan Luce, who did the lettering and
    decorating and to the many other people involved in this project.

    1969 – Mrs. Marjorie Hattersley reports 81 new borrowers in the Children’s Department.

    1970 – We are offering a new service to the people of Hopedale by circulating records. These may be
    taken out for two-week periods, the same as books.

    1971 - Mr. William Child resigned from the Board of Trustees in August and Mr. Sewall Drisko was
    appointed to fill out his term. We were all saddened to lose him by death after having served for only
    about two months. Mr. Howard Smith was then appointed to fill out the term.

    1972 – We will now have available Talking Books to be used by the blind or people who are
    handicapped and unable to hold regular books. We also have a Talking Book Machine record player,
    which may be borrowed from the Library.

    1973 – Mrs. Elizabeth Butcher has resigned as Branch Librarian. She has served well in this capacity
    for ten years. Mrs. Elizabeth Thayer has been appointed to take her place and opened in her home at
    25 Warfield Street in November.

    1974 – We were very fortunate to acquire a copy machine in June, and are pleased to report that it is
    being used a great deal. The public appreciates this service and it is a great help to the students.

    1975 – There were 198 new borrowers registered during the year; 95 in the children’s room, 94 in the
    adult section, and 9 at the branch.

    1976 - Mrs. Clark retired on June 30 and was succeeded by Mrs. Maralyn Keay.

    1977 – The Trustees of the Library voted to close the branch which had been in the home of Mrs.
    Elizabeth Thayer. Our thanks to Mrs. Thayer for her diligent efforts during the time when the branch
    was in her home.

    We are grateful to the family and friends of Mrs. Bessie Tiffany for their generous establishment of the
    Bessie Tiffany Memorial Fund.

    Mrs. Nancy Twombly volunteered to supervise a series of five children’s craft programs during the
    month of August. These programs had an average attdendance of 38 children.

    Adults were afforded the opportunity of seeing film classics each Monday night, beginning in October.
    Miss Joyce Ripley volunteered to act as projectionist for these weekly events.

    The film “Hopedale, Reflections of the Past” was donated to the Library by the Merrimac Valley Textile
    Museum for use in the community.

    1978 - ????

    1983 – The Library was restored to full hours and services this year after the massive budget cuts of
    the previous year.

    In the fall a tour by high school students to examine historic buildings natural rock formations  resulted
    in a restoration committee being formed to raise funds to repair the Statue of Hoped on the library
    lawn. “Hope for Hope” raised $5000 through toll roads, public and private contributions and a
    matching grant from the Hopedale Foundation.

    1984 – The library trustees purchased an Apple IIE microcomputer for public use. One hundred twenty-
    six adults and students registered as computer users and actively use the 27 programs available at
    the library, or their own discs.

    Funds raised by the “Hope for Hope” Committee have cleaned and restored the marble Statue of
    Hope, her base and walkways. Friends of the Hopedale Library have provided a free pass to the
    Boston Children’s Museum, repaired our grandfather’s clock, encapsulated two newspapers from
    1865 reporting Lincoln’s assassination, restored 16 historic books, and the 1868 map of Hopedale.

    1985 – Following a successful book sale in September, the Friends restored the Historic Register
    and purchased glass-front display cases to exhibit book, documents, pictures and artifacts which
    reflect Hopedale’s historical past.

    The Children’s Department under the direction of Mrs. Marjorie Hattersley offered two very special and
    heavily attended programs. In November the puppet show, “Kids on the Block” was presented to an
    audience of 175 children and parents. In April the Pumpernickel Puppet Theater presented “St.
    George and the Dragon” at the Community House. About 150 – 170 children and parents enjoyed the
    show which was funded by the Hopedale Arts Council.

    1986 – One of the highlights of the year was the Centennial presentation given by John S. Garner
    (Model Company Town) on October 25th in the High School Auditorium. A gift of six original pen and
    ink drawings of historic town buildings was presented to the library by artist Mary Ohnesian of Milford
    and was hung in the reference room. (They’re now along the stairway.)

    1987 – Sue-Ellen Deiana resigned as library director in November after almost eight years of
    dedicated service to the Hopedale community. Ann Robinson was appointed as the new director.

    The Apple IIe computer was replaced. Over twenty new programs as well as donated programs were
    used by 62 adults and children. A pamphlet file was initiated in July with the donation of an oak file
    cabinet by the Friends. The library began to receive compact discs from the Regional Office in March.
    The Friends framed a historical map and worked on the historical collection. The Friends book sale
    enabled them to purchase a large bulletin board, oak file cabinet, display case, folding table, and a
    bookcase.

    1988 – The Friends continue to support the restoration of the historical collection by having three
    historical atlases restored.

    1989 – Ann Robinson resigned her position as library director after eighteen months of excellent
    service. Elaine Malloy was appointed as director in September.

    On May 10, over 150 people viewed the Hopedale film, “Reflections of the Past.”

    The program room was painted, book cases added and carpeting installed, thus providing meeting
    space for interested groups.

    The Friends of the Library donated many useful items this year – a new sign listing hours of operation,
    a new bookcase, an oak table, a dictionary stand, and brass name plates for the portraits. A magazine
    rack, a paperback book rack, an A-V cart, a film machine table, and librarian’s chair were bought for
    the Children’s Room. New draperies were purchased for the Trustee’s Room and the director’s office.

    1990 – A new gas heating system has been installed. Also, windows were reglazed and painted.
    Friend’s donations included an Encyclopedia Britannica, glass for the table in the trustee’s room, the
    Civil War video tapes, a paper cutter, an oak filing cabinet, a new vacuum, and passes to several
    museums. The Friends also framed a picture of the library and paid for repairs on the grandfather
    clock and the lawn mower. A special thank you to the person who anonymously donated funds for the
    new and much needed book drop.

    1991 -  The Hopedale Foundation again supplied passes to the Boston Museum of Science and the
    Acquarium. A special thank you to the patron who saw the need for a flag at the library and donated
    one.

    1992 – The Friends of the Library purchased the Compton’s Encyclopedia, the Junior Britannica, two
    wall maps, five Weekly Reader programs for the computer, a computer trolley, a flag, a clock for the
    Program Room, a glass top for a table, Christmas decorations, two cases of archival paper, and
    passes to the Danforth Museum, Garden in the Woods, Worcester Science Center and Boston by
    Foot. Plaques, donated by the Friends, were presented to those in the Brownie Troop of Pat Mitchell
    and Tina O’Connell, and to those in Wendy Sullivan’s Daisy Troop who participated in the clean-up.
    The nucleus of this commendable group included Maureen Lutz, Claudia White, Ginny Griffin, Nancy
    Hession, Sue Goddard, Ross Mazzarelli, Thelma Swanson, and Cheryl Overs.

    1993 – A Tea for Senior Citizens was held at the library in early December. Approximately seventy
    people attended. A tree, decorated with handmade ornaments crafted by Elaine Malloy and Ann
    Englund, were distributed as favors. This tremendously successful event was sponsored by the
    Friends. All agreed it should be a yearly happening.

    Hopedale selectmen recently presented a plaque to Mrs. Marjorie Hattersley, children’s librarian, in
    appreciation of and honoring her for 40 years service to the library.*

    1994 – The Bancroft Memorial Library pays tribute to Marjorie E. Hattersley. She served the town for
    more than half a century. Mrs. Hattersley began working at the library in 1928. In 1938, she left to raise
    her family. On September 1, 1953, she returned as Children’s Librarian. She remained in that capacity
    until her retirement on March 31, 1994. Sadly, Mrs. Hattersley passed away on June 13, 1994.
    Hopedale has lost a truly dedicated servant.

    A plaque will be placed outside the door of the Children’s Room of the library which will hereafter be
    designated as the Marjorie Hattersley Children’s Room.*

    Dorothy Suszanska again volunteered her services every other Monday to conduct evening story hours.
    Jammie Time always attracted a huge audience. Dorothy also organized a Children’s Art Show, which
    was held at the library.

    1995 – The annual Spring Clean-Up was successful with Ross Mazzarelli, Nancy Hession,
    Rosemarie Trevani, the Robert Colcord family, Sue Ciarimicoli and sons, and Girl Scouts Elizabeth
    Mitchell and Laurie and Carly Moniz.

    The Christmas Tea for Senior Citizens, our third, had an attendance of 97.

    The library is proceeding toward automation of services. An on-line affiliate membership was
    established this year with CW Mars. A retrospective conversion of the shelf listings is being conducted
    so that Hopedale’s holdings will be included in the CW Mars database. Under the direction of David
    Williams, a public computer resource center has been set up with software for word processing,
    publishing, research, games, and a music program with a 120-voice synthesizer. Both patron
    computers are linked to the Internet.

    1996 – The library is proceeding with the phase-in process of making the facility accessible to the
    physically challenged. The entrance at this point is near completion. The next step calls for an
    accessible restroom. Retrospective conversion of the library’s shelf listings into the CW Mars
    database continues, eventually leading to automation of services.

    The Hopedale Foundation sponsored a cooperative project between the Hopedale and Millbury
    libraries, The Mill Town Library, a Photographic Exhibit. The thirty-eight photos, poster size, are now
    traveling to different locations in the Blackstone Valley for viewing. The Foundation also, in addition to
    generously supporting the Friends of the Library, provided passes to the Boston Museum of Science,
    the Boston Aquarium, and the Sports Museum.

    The Bancroft Memorial Library continues to be a popular place to hold meetings. Several scout troops
    met on a weekly basis. The library also provided space for a children’s art show that was sponsored
    by Laura Williams. In September the library was the setting for a luncheon for the Society for the
    Preservation of New England Antiquities. The event was sponsored by the Hopedale Foundation and
    co-hosted by Barbara Kochon, Town Clerk, and Elaine Malloy, Library Director. Lee Packard, portraying
    Reverend Adin Ballou, made an appearance.

    The Friends of the Library provided passes to the Heritage Plantation, New England Science Center,
    Southwick’s Zoo and the Discovery Museum. They also sponsored the Christmas Tea, the reptile
    show, a magician, Louise May Alcott, Lunch with Santa, author Susan Meddaugh, and the Native
    American program.

    Voted – To name the Trustee’s Room in honor of Howard Smith, a former library trustee who served
    for many years.*

    1997 – The Board of Trustees remained the same – David Williams, Chairman, Roger Edwards and
    Frederick Oldfield. Staff includes Elaine Malloy, Director, Elaine Kraimer, Children’s Librarian, Anne
    Mattie, Senior Library Technician, Dot Stanas and Pat Colcord, Circulation, Alexander McCarthy-
    Donovan and Jessica Lavigne, Pages, and Walter Manczursowsky, Custodian.

    This year mirrored the wave of the future for libraries – a far greater in-house usage (computers and
    the Internet) rather than circulation of materials. This is reflected in the fact that nearly one thousand
    more people actually visited and utilized library facilities.

    The summer reading program, “Catch the Summer Spark,” was successful, having well over one
    hundred participants. The winter season included story hours that ran in six-week sessions. Dorothy
    Suszanska and Jackie Burberry continued to dazzle youngsters with story and song.

    The library is proceeding with the phase-in process of bringing the library into compliance with ADA
    regulations. The accessible walkway is completed, and the restroom is near completion. The next
    phase includes a stairway and elevator.

    The photography exhibit, The Mill Town Library, funded by the Hopedale Foundation, won first prize in a
    state-wide contest, sponsored by the Massachusetts Library Association.

    1998 – The Christmas Tea for Senior Citizens, sponsored by the Friends, was the biggest and best
    yet – one hundred ten attended. People from the churches, town hall, police and fire departments
    were present. Helpers included Friends, library staff, Peg Allen, Lenore Doucette and Paula Malloy.

    We thank June Wright for her delightful portrayal as Mrs. Clause and Donald Stewardson for his
    famous and now traditional role of Santa at the children’s party.

    After ninety-nine years, air-conditioning was realized, and bathrooms were renovated, now with heat.

    1999 – The summer reading program, Unlock the Mystery – Read was a success with 105 children
    enrolled. Many weekly programs were held, with an average of forty children and twenty parents at
    each event. Kudos, Mrs. Kraimer!

    On August 15, 1998, a Centennial Celebration was held on the side lawn. This was accomplished
    through funding from the Hopedale Foundation and hard work of the Friends. All food items reflected
    yesteryear prices – five cents. A postal worker stamped envelopes with a commemorative cancellation
    stamp, depicting the library. Centennial tee-shirts were also sold. Children played games of long ago.
    Over six hundred attended.

    In November, thirty-eight descendants of Mr. Clare Draper held a family reunion. Paul Curran of Milford
    coordinated a tour of Hopedale for them. The library was designated as the last stop. Mrs. Malloy
    prepared and hosted a luncheon. She was assisted by Hilda Hammond, Judy Brown and Mary Saras.
    Replicas of the Little Red Shop, made by the director and her husband, Dan, were distributed as
    favors. The group enjoyed viewing old materials and scrapbooks about the Draper family.

    2000 – Renovations at the library to bring the facility into compliance with ADA regulations continued
    this year with the installation of a new stairway and limited access elevator. The project, phased in
    over several years, is now completed.

    Funding is now in place to refurbish the Statue of Hope Fountain. Susan Preston Draper, when she
    presented the statue in 1904, charged the town with its care and maintenance. It’s gratifying to see
    that long-ago commitment being honored.

    On December 14, 1899, Joseph Bancroft wrote a letter, turning the library over to the Town of
    Hopedale. A reenactment was held on December 14, 1999. Over one hundred twenty guests helped
    the library celebrate this historic event.

    2001 – The Statue of Hope Fountain project is now complete. This was accomplished through a
    preservation grant secured by Representative Marie Parente, town appropriations, assistance from
    the Hopedale Foundation, and fundraising efforts of the Friends of the Hopedale Library. Elaine Malloy
    secured a grant from the Blackstone Valley Corridor to obtain a bronze plaque denoting the fountain’s
    history. Walter Swift was awarded the contract to refurbish the garden. To further enhance the
    grounds, Daniel Klinkman, who is seeking the rank of Eagle Scout, approached the Trustees about
    creating a small garden near a tree at the edge of the lawn area. Two granite benches will be installed
    for people to visit and rest.

    2002 – The search for a new Library Director was made necessary by the retirement of Elaine Malloy,
    who left the position after thirteen years of service. Malloy was honored for her dedicated service to the
    Library and the Town at the spring Town Meeting. In September the Library Board appointed Beth
    Hoffer as Library Director. Hoffer holds a Master’s Degree in Library Science and is an experienced
    library administrator.

    Two long-time members of the library staff retired this year. Dot Stanas left after fourteen years, and
    Anne Mattie had served on the library staff for twenty-six years.

    Children’s programs offered by Children’s Librarian Elaine Kraimer included weekly story hours, a
    “pajama” story time, the summer reading program, a puppet workshop, “Fun with Science” with Dan
    Malloy, a Tie-Dye workshop hosted by Wendy Sullivan, “How the Stars Came to Be,” sponsored by the
    Arts Council, Pioneer Days with the help of Donna Kenton and Elaine Malloy, Herbs with Terry Swain,
    Jay Mankita’s Amazing Time Travel Show, Dorothy Suszanska’s ever popular Teddy Bear Picnic, and
    “Owl Moon” programs, and many more.

    2003 – The members of the Board of Trustees of FY03 were Nancy Verdolino, Chair, Edward Spillars,
    and Frederick Oldfield. At the end of the year, Spillers stepped down at the end of his term. Katherine
    Wright was voted Trustee during the Town elections.

    Pandora Pillsbury and Sara Sartori joined the library staff. Wendy Sullivan was promoted to the
    position of Senior Library Assistant/Technical Services.

    A $10,000 matching grant was awarded to the library to be used for the repair of the library’s leaded
    glass windows.

    2004 – The project on leaded glass windows was completed by Art Glass of America. Painting of the
    trim on the windows and the front door was also done. The book drop was refurbished and repainted
    to match the trim. The new library sign was designed and erected by Rocco Caballero of Cavallaro
    Signs through donations from the Friends and the family of James H. Young.

    2005 – The Trustees would like to express their sincere appreciation to the staff of the library for their
    cooperation during the summer months when the search for a new Library Director was conducted.
    Their efforts kept the library operating smoothly as they assumed tasks that they do not normally
    perform. Many thanks to Elaine Kraimer, Wendy Sullivan, Pandora Pillsbury, Sara Sartori and Walter
    Manczurowsky, Sr. as of September 7, 2004, Merrily Sparling, the new Library Director, assumed her
    duties and immediately jumped into the work needing to be completed.

    The major accomplishment of the year was the implementation of the online circulation system with
    the Central and Western Massachusetts Resources Sharing (CWMARS) Network on November 1,
    2004.

    Eagle Scout Project – Steven Mazzarelli, Eagle Scout candidate, completed an inventory of the library's
    collection of historical materials.

    2006 – A pilot project called “Digital Treasures” was offered by CWMars library network and allowed
    the library to digitize twenty photos of early Hopedale on the Digital Treasures website.

    2007 – The library has been busier than usual at times during the past year as our colleagues at the
    Milford Town Library renovate their building. While Milford was closed during part of the year, the
    Hopedale library hosted Milford patrons and provided passes to their residents from their own pass
    program. Our staff is pleased to be of assistance to our neighboring community and hope that many
    will continue to visit Hopedale’s beautiful library.

    The Library has been awarded a Planning and Design Grant from the Massachusetts Board of Library
    Commissioners.

    One piece of new technology, Playaways, provides unabridged books on a small device about the size
    of a deck of cards, and requires only a set of “earbuds” to listen to an entire book without any other
    device.

    2008 – The library continues to expand services to the public by making wireless Internet services
    available to anyone with a laptop computer and a wireless card.

    Merrily Sparling, our Library Director, retired June 30, 2008. The Board of Trustees would like to thank
    her for her years of service and wish her well in her retirement.

    2009 – Ann Fields assumed the duties of the Library Director on September 22, 2008. A native of
    North Carolina, she came to Hopedale after working as Library Director in Rogersville, Tennessee,
    and as a Reference Librarian in Abington, Pennsylvania and Charlotte, North Carolina.

    The library was open 36 hours a week (except during July and August) and averaged 490 patron visits
    per week. Our terrific volunteers donated in excess of 550 hours and our Senior Tax Program workers
    put in many hours keeping the books shelved and assisting with an assortment of library jobs.

    Computer use has continued to increase with an average of 28 people per week using the three
    computer stations. More people are coming in to use our wireless connections to the Internet, and the
    library has added three laptop computers which connect to the wireless system for patron use in the
    library and a wireless printer. We now have library catalog computers on each level so patrons can
    find locations and call numbers for materials in the library.

    In June, Mrs. Kraimer started her 16th year as Children’s Librarian here and the Children's Room
    continues to be a busy area. Total attendance at 74 children’s programs was 2,205 children and
    adults.

    In October the leaded glass window restoration was finished and the final three windows installed.
    The painting of Governor Eben Draper which has been with an art restorer for four years has been
    returned and is in the library’s Reading Room.

    2010 – In tough economic times, free access to books, DVDs, books on CD, magazines, online
    databases, online encyclopedias and high speed Internet is an increasingly valuable community
    asset. The Bancroft Memorial Library continues to provide an excellent variety of materials and
    services to the citizens of Hopedale through the dedication and hard work of the Library Trustees,
    Friends of the Hopedale Library and Library Staff.


                                                           Bancroft Memorial Library                     HOME   

.

    The two upper pictures show the library when it was in
    the town hall. the lower one shows the Bancroft Library
    before the Statue of Hope was erected on its south side.