This map from The Model Company Town (p. 132) shows the shop area
in 1875. The Red Shop, or Mechanic Shop, by this time had been moved
from the east side of the river to the west side.
The street between buildings 3 and 7 is Water Street. Very likely it was
the busiest street in town for many years, but by the time the 1886 map wa
s drawn, it was gone. The sections of Social and Union streets that were we
st of Hopedale Street eventually disappeared also. Freedom Street is in
the upper left, just beyond 1 and 3.
1886 Map Map Menu
Red Shop Menu HOME