Mendon's George Family:  1815 - 1943

    The George family made significant contributions to the town of Mendon in the areas of public service,
    manufacturing, and education.  Family members lived at 28 Main Street in the beautiful, white federal
    style home surrounded by stone walls, pastures, and farm buildings.  Richard George was the first
    owner in 1815, and the building continued to be the family homestead until 1943.  Mendon's earliest
    settlers had designated twenty acres of this land as "School Meadow" in 1668.  The town's first
    schoolhouse was built at the lower end of this property on George Street in 1709.  Since the 1800's, the
    George Cemetery has been located where the schoolhouse once stood.  It was at 28 Main Street
    where this distinguished family helped to make the town a better place to live.

    Members of the George family were devoted public servants.  Richard George, an attorney, served as
    town counsel, selectman, and school committeeman.  He was also on the building committee for the
    Unitarian Church, and he served on a committee to establish a farm for the poor.  His son Nathan, also
    an attorney, was town moderator and justice of the peace.  His grandson Nathan Richard served as
    selectman and town treasurer.  Another grandson Julius was selectman, town moderator, library
    trustee, and president of the Mendon Historical Society.  His granddaughter Rosa George Taft donated
    a generous financial gift to the town to purchase the Union Evangelical Chapel and convert it into the
    Taft Library.  The original library, now the Historical Society Museum, was not large enough to contain
    the increased volume of books by 1919.  The family's dedication to serve the residents of Mendon was
    most commendable.

    The Georges were also successful in the business world.  Nathan Richard George and brother Julius
    operated a boot shop in the J.R. Wheelock Shop on Maple Street from 1863 - 1868.  Nathan sold his
    share to his brother who continued the business by himself until 1878.  Fifty or more residents were
    employed at the shop at a time.

    In 1897, Nathan opened the Miscoe Spring Water Company.  He sold spring water that originated at the
    family's twenty-four acre Miscoe Hill pasture off Northbridge Road.  It was advertised as being pure,
    medicinal, and curative.  It was very popular not only in Mendon, but throughout the Northeast.  
    Business was so lucrative that a Boston office was opened, and Nathan's son Herbert was the

    Education played a major role in the lives of the George family.  They were scholars.  Richard and
    Nathan graduated with law degrees from Brown University.  Julius, Nathan R. Jr., and Herbert were
    graduates of Harvard.  Rosa and Nancy graduated from Wellesley College.  Melissa was a professor at
    Wellesley, and Nathan R. Jr. was a math professor at M.I.T.  Nancy was superintendent of schools in
    Mendon.  The family's commitment to academics was remarkable.

    Mendon's government, economy, and school system were influenced in a most beneficial way by
    members of the George family.  They served diligently on town boards and committees.  Their boot and
    Miscoe Spring Water companies prospered.  Their greatest family attribute was their love of learning.  
    Education was their devotion.  It is most appropriate that their final resting place is in School Meadow at
    the site of the first schoolhouse.  They are one of the most respected families in our town's history.

    Twenty-eight Main Street is currently owned by the Vincent family.

    Richard Grady                                                                                               
    Mendon, MA  

                                                                                  Mendon Menu     

The George home - 28 Main Street