Lowell's Dairy - Route 16 - Mendon, Massachusetts

    Photos from Doug Taylor, Berneta (Lowell) Devries and David Lowell.  Thanks to Paul
    Doucette for saving and sending them.

    Lowell’s Restaurant has been part of Mendon’s history since the early 1900’s. Freeman
    Lowell started things off in 1913, delivering milk by horse and wagon for Geo L. Taft. In
    1920, Freeman purchased the milk route from Mr. Taft and Lowell’s Dairy was born. In
    1932, the Lowells began making their own ice cream in a 5 gallon freezer. Success
    followed quickly. In 1939 a 12 foot section was added to the existing building for
    expansion of the milk and ice cream facilities. In 1943, a soda fountain for beverages was
    added to the front section of the building. Expansion continued as the business grew in
    popularity, and in the 1970s the Hackenson family purchased the location from the
    Lowells and added a full service restaurant. In 1987, the present owners, the Kotsianas
    family, took over the restaurant and began building the loyal following the restaurant
    enjoys today.

    During the next 17 years the restaurant prospered and became a local institution. But
    sadly, misfortune struck in July of 2004 when a fire broke out and the restaurant was lost.
    Determined to reopen in Mendon, the Kotsianas family searched for an entire year to find
    the right location so they could rebuild what had been lost. In October of 2005, the new
    “Lowell’s” opened at our current location on Route 140 in Mendon, on the
    Mendon/Bellingham town lines. From Lowell's Restaurant website.

Harold "Putt" Lowell

Willow Brook Restaurant, on the site of the former Lowell's Dairy.

Lowell's Restaurant on Cape Road (Route 140), Mendon.

July 16, 2004. Click on the picture to see more.