This picture was taken several decades before the story told
    below took place, but it would have looked about the same.

                                                                     Roy Rehbein

    It was in late September in '42 or '43 and still steamy hot at 10 o'clock at night, walking down
    Northrop Street, coming from the State Theater.  The four of us guys, getting ready to graduate,
    were thinking more about going off to war than caps and gowns. We were ready and eager to
    fulfill our obligation, but on this night we were just too hot, and Mr. Drisko's homework was far
    down our priority lists.

    At the bottom of the hill, as we reached Dutcher Street and the pond, someone had, what seemed
    at the time, a great idea.

    "Lets go swimming!!"

    I can't recall who, and will never find out, as I think I might be the only one left. Anyways, we
    carefully hid our clothes in the bushes near the bathhouse, and somewhat embarrassed,
    scampered out from the beach, in the moonlight, to the sanctity of the raft and the cool waters.

    It was great until a car's headlights coming up Hopedale Street, passed the shop, turned into the
    bathhouse.....TOMMY MALLOY....the chief himself.....Hoy moly!!!

    "All right youth, come on out!"

    Not us! We ducked under the raft and made like hornpouts, snuggling up to the floatation drums.
    After some minutes, the police car disappeared, along with, as we soon discovered, our clothes.

    By about 1:30 we were really COLD. When the police car returned, we would have surrendered
    without a shot being fired, if asked. But Tommy must have "been there" many years before, as he
    left our clothes in a pile on the beach and drove off.  We had learned our lesson, and quickly and
    quietly sneaked of to our homes.  Mums the word.  Next time, we would stick to fishing!!! Roy
    Rehbein, January 2008

                                More from Roy                        Other memories of the war years                

Memories Menu                       HOME   

Below - A few years later.

    Edith B. (Barrows) Rehbein, 89, of Marion, died April 30, 2019 at home. She
    was the widow of the late Roy H. Rehbein and the daughter of the late Stanley
    and Sadie Louise (Wrenn) Barrows. She was born in Milford and lived in
    Hopedale for many years. She then lived in Middleboro and Carver before
    moving to Marion 10 years ago. She enjoyed bird watching and feeding the
    birds in her yard and enjoyed collecting New England themed items especially
    from the Cape. Survivors include 4 sons, Craig Rehbein and Fox Keri both of
    Marion, Glenn Rehbein of Uxbridge and Christopher Rehbein of Wareham; a
    daughter, Karen Holmes of Cooper, ME; a sister, Dorothy Kirby of Orange
    Park, FL; a granddaughter, Kara Rehbein of Milford. Her graveside service will
    be held at 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 16, 2019 at the Massachusetts
    National Cemetery, Bourne. Please arrive at the cemetery at 12:15 p.m.
    Arrangements are by the Chapman, Cole & Gleason Funeral Home, 2599
    Cranberry Hwy., Wareham.