librarian at the Bancroft Library for many years during the first half of the twentieth century. It was copied
from the original in the Hopedale Community Historical Society file at the library. According to the map
at the bottom of this page, the Lillie house was near the southwest corner of Hopedale Pond. As Dutcher
points out, in the picture above that's a glimpse of the pond between the shop and the sawmill.
In this 1851 map, the name H. Lillie appears near the
southwest corner of Hopedale Pond. The locations of
the saw mill and machine shop are also shown.