Douglas D'Orsay

    BULLETIN -  Mrs. Douglas D'Orsay of Ashland was notified shortly before 1 p.m. today that her
    husband was killed in a Saigon bombing last week. It was the first official notification from the

    HOPEDALE - Master Sgt. Douglas H. D'Orsay, 44, of Ashland, formerly of this town, was among seven
    U.S. servicemen killed in last week's terror bombing of a floating restaurant in Saigon, it was
    announced in that city today.

      However, members of D'Orsay's family said they have received no official word of his death and
    were checking further through their congressman. They said all they knew of the reported death was
    through press stories our of Saigon today and a radio report.

      D'Orsay is married to the former Elaine Vasalakis of Albuquerque, New Mexico, and has two
    children, Barbara, sophomore at Ashland High School, and a son, Thomas, studying electronic
    engineering at Wentworth Institute in Boston. D'Orsay's parents, Mr. and Mrs. T. Harold D'Orsay live on
    Hammond Road in Hopedale.

      The bomb exploded in the My Canh floating restaurant last Thursday at a time when it was filled by
    diners, including Americans.

      Two bombs apparently hit the boat which housed the restaurant. The second explosion caught
    those who rushed to help persons hit by the first blast.

      The first bomb exploded in the restaurant itself and the second went off on the gangplank which
    leads from the boat to the street. Many were strolling near the building at the time of the blast.

      The restaurant is located near a U.S. military officers billet.

      D'Orsay was an Air Force veteran for 24 years, having served as a second lieutenant in the
    European theater as a flight engineer.

       M/Sgt D'Orsay was stationed at Pease AFB in Portsmouth, N.H., before being assigned to Bien
    Hoa, about 20 miles south of Saigon.

      D'Orsay also has a brother, Wilfred, who is an army veteran of World War II, and is now manager of
    custom engineering for International Business Machines in the New York office.

      Wilfred is married to the former Irma Monti of Milford.

      During World War II. The sergeant was taken ill and was flown back to this country and hospitalized
    at Murphy General Hospital in Waltham. Later he resumed active duty and was stationed in
    Albuquerque, New Mexico. Milford Daily News, June 30, 1965.

                                                        War Veterans Menu                                  HOME   


Thanks to Mike Cyr for sending the Vietnam Wall rubbing.

    Here's an obituary for Sgt. D'Orsay from the Find a Grave website.

    Douglas was the husband of Elaine D. (Vasilakis) D'Orsay, beloved father of Thomas A. ; and
    daughter Barbara E. D'Orsay; the dear son of Harold T. D'Orsay and Elsie M. D'Orsay; all of
    Hopedale, Massachusetts; and bother Wilfred D'Orsay of Verona New Jersey.

    Born in Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia, Douglas immigrated with his parents and brother to
    Hopedale; enlisted in the US Air Force and was a career veteran of over 25 years of service. Prior
    to being assigned for duty in Vietnam he was attached to Pease Air Force Base at Portsmouth,
    New Hampshire and also served in the Asiatic and European theaters as a flight engineer and
    instructor. In Vietnam he was attached to the 34th CONSOL Maintenance Squadron, 34th TAC
    Group, 13th Air Force as a flight chief at Bein hoa Air Base.

    On June 25, 1965, two powerful terrorists’ bombs exploded in quick succession besides the
    crowded floating My Canh Restaurant on the Saigon River, killing 42 and wounding about 80.
    Eight of the victims were US Service personel; one of the casualties was MSGT Douglas H.


    German P. Acosta
    James T. Brown Jr.
    Alfred Coombs Jr.
    Douglas H. D'Orsay
    Michael J. Ihnat
    Robert J. Smith
    Michael E. Widener
    Charles A. Williamson