February 1, 2009
    Hopedale History
    No. 125
    Mead’s Market

    Hopedale in January             The Parklands, January 21  

    Now and Then – The Draper Main Office  

    Our Gang – a 1936 kid’s parade in Hopedale   

    Dana Newcombe’s Hopedale memories, including Aerosmith and the 1972 plane crash.

    Here it is - that kids at Hopedale pond, c.1960 picture again. Look at the one near the
    bottom of the page. Each kid is marked with a letter, so it's a little easier to match names
    with faces.. Maybe one of you from that era can come up with the last couple of names.

    Building the Model T   - Very interesting. The link must be going around. I received it from
    both Norm Scholl and Dick Grady.

    Hopedale statistics on city-data.com.


                                                            Mead's Market

    The Milford News article below, about the closing of Mead’s Market in the Town Hall in 1942,
    brings to mind some of the many changes in the building since then. The market was in the
    basement on the Depot Street side, which later became the police station and where the
    Friends of Elders Shop is now located. There was a dentist (Dr. Wentworth, and others
    before him) at the back of the first floor where the town clerk’s office is now, and Eddie
    Paradiso’s barbershop was where the assessor’s office is. The Town Common in the middle
    was called The Spa years ago. It was operated by Norm Handley, who also established Pop’
    s Popcorn, which is still in business on North Avenue in Mendon. The post office was on the
    left. Town meetings, high school basketball games, school plays put on to raise money for
    the annual senior class Washington trip, scout meetings, banquets and other events were
    held on the second floor.
    HOPEDALE June 26 [1942] The closing of Mead’s Market has removed from town a
    business which was established in 1887 by John L. Mead of Milford. Shortly after the Town
    Hall building was dedicated on Oct. 25, 1887, the late George Draper suggested that Mr.
    Mead transfer his meat market from Main Street, Milford, where the Dwyer store now stands,
    to Hopedale.

    At the same time, Fred E. Smith, now deceased, opened a grocery store in the Town Hall
    building where the post office is now located. The post office was at the time where the
    Town Hall Spa is at present, later taking over the present quarters after the grocery firm of
    Howes and Howes, successors to Mr. Smith went out of business.

    John L. Mead enjoyed the patronage of a large number of people, who could be certain of
    fair dealing and superior merchandise. In the early days, he sent out a butcher cart, which
    was driven for many years by the late Fred Ballou of Milford. This cart was horse drawn and
    covered considerable territory in Mendon, South Milford and elsewhere. It meant early rising
    and late retiring hours for the drivers. Mr. Mead also conducted a slaughter house at the
    rear of his father’s house on Prospect Street, Milford. His late brother, Edward Mead, was
    also in the meat business. His sons, Fred and the late Roy, were associated with their
    father and many clerks were needed to take and fill the orders received by a team of order
    clerks and telephone. Always courteous and handling only the best grade of beef and other
    products, Mr. Mead’s success was certain and well deserved. At the time of his retirement a
    few years ago, his customers hoped it would be possible for his business to continue and
    real regret was expressed when notice of the closing was recently announced. Fred L.
    Mead, manager of the business, was engaged as clerk and manager for more that 50
    years at the time of his retirement last week. Surely one of the town’s landmarks and one of
    its most reliable merchants has left our midst. Milford Daily News


    Recent deaths:

    Catherine (Bliss) Ballou, 83, Mendon, January 20, 2009.

    Gary J. Balian, 56, January 21, 2009.

                                  Hopedale History Email Stories                HOME