The photo of the block between Hopedale, Chapel, Dutcher and
Social streets was probably taken in the 1890s. As you can see,
this was before the fire station, the gas station and the Main
Office were built. A bit of the earlier Draper office can be seen at
the lower left. At that time Social Street crossed Hopedale Street
and continued west for one block. The Chapel Street School is a
bit to the left, with a flag on the roof. Beyond it, a bit to the right
is the boarding house called the Park House. The Roper house,
on Freedom Street can be seen near the top, middle.
The earlier Draper Main Office, on the west side of Hopedale Street..
The Draper Corporation Main Office
Of great importance to the [historic] district architecturally as well as
historically is the Draper Company’s Main Office building, 25 Hopedale
Street (1910 - 1911). Designed by Milford architect Robert Allen Cook and
built by Woodbury & Leighton Company of Boston, the building is located
across Hopedale Street from the plant, directly opposite the employee
entrance on the erecting shop fronting Hopedale Street. This massive brick
building, consisting of two stories on a raised basement, is one of the best
examples in the historic district of the Renaissance Revival style. Thirty-
one bays on Hopedale Street and eight bays on the side elevations at
Chapel and Social Streets, the building originally had a T-shaped plan,
though the central rear portion was removed in 1998 during its
rehabilitation for adaptive reuse as an assisted living complex. Details
include rustication of the basement level, splayed windows, a parapet and
cornice, and door surrounds, string courses, and oversized keystones
executed in red terra cotta. The Main Office building remains an imposing
presence in the streetscape of the historic district and, with the erecting shop directly
across the street, contributes to the “canyon” effect created by large corporate buildings
in this block of Hopedale Street. Kathy Kelley Broomer, National Register Nomination.
Police hired for the 1913 strike at the Draper Company, shown by the Main Office.
Once the back, and now the front, this view shows the section that was
removed when the office was converted to an assisted living facility.
Corner of Hopedale and Social streets - 2008
of Dutcher and Chapel streets, 2008.
This view shows the office before the shop on the other side of Hopedale Street
covered the entire length of that area. At that time, Social Street, as can be seen in the
foreground, crossed Hopedale Street and continued for some distance to the west.
Thanks to Kurt and Joyce (Burton) Anderson for sending this photo of the Main Office.That's
Joyce's father, Wes Burton, standing with arms out. The photo was probably taken in 1960.
Note the Nixon-Lodge sticker from the 1960 election on the desk in the right foreground.