By Paul A. Doucette of Mendon

    Above - a comic illustration of the airport and aircraft landing there by Lewis E. Barrows.

                                                       MENDON AIRPORT PROPERTY OWNERS       
    Approximate dates:

    The Nipmuc Tribe owned the land prior to the landing of the Pilgrims and colonization of Massachusetts.

    1680 -- 1715    Reverend Grindall Rawson, the first white settler to own the property, became Mendon's minister
    following the re-settlement of the town after its destruction from the King Philip War.  He was a Harvard
    graduate and a classmate of Rev. Cotton Mather (Salem Witch trials).  His churches were the second and third
    meeting houses at Founders' Park. He was a fluent speaker of the Nipmuc Indian language and was useful to
    government officials in communicating with members of the tribe.  He likely had a home here replaced by a
    newer home built by Calvin Smith.

    1765 -- 1802    Colonel Calvin Smith who was an officer in Mendon's militia during the Revolutionary War.  He
    used his property as a training field to prepare the town's soldiers for military activities.  He built the house on
    the corner of Emerson Street and Hastings Street which served as a residence for many town citizens until the

    1802 -- 1818   Attorney Seth Hastings bought the house and land in 1802. He owned several buildings in town,
    so it is not known how long he and his family lived there. He was a congressman, bank president, lawyer,
    judge of Worcester Superior Court of Sessions, town treasurer, school committeeman, and bakery owner.  Part
    of the land was used as a military training field.

    1818 -- 1828   Ambassador Jonathan Russell bought the property when he returned home from Europe in
    1818. He and his family entertained "lavishly."  He demonstrated his love for his country by serving as an
    ambassador of peace before and after the War of 1812. President James Madison appointed him Charge'
    D'Affaires to France, ruled by Napoleon, in 1810 and Ambassador to England prior to the War of 1812. The War
    was officially over on December 24, 1814. Both sides agreed in the Treaty of Ghent which allowed everything to
    be as it was before the war. The terms of agreement were negotiated by five highly skilled American
    commissioners: Jonathan Russell, John Quincy Adams, Henry Clay, James Bayard, and Albert Gallatin.

    After the War he served as Ambassador to Sweden and Norway from 1814 to 1818. The focus of his career had
    been influenced by his patriotism and his will to improve international relations.
    When his diplomatic career was over, he served as a representative in the Massachusetts Legislature and as a
    member of the United States Congress. He was an active and generous member of his church and a
    participant in local government.  Jonathan Russell lived at the corner of Hastings and Emerson Street in
    Mendon. His first wife was Sylvia Ammidon, the daughter of Colonel Philip Ammidon. She grew up at 4 Main
    Street at Ammidon Inn (presently Mendon Antique Center).

    The house was built by Colonel Calvin Smith. This is how it appeared c.1870 when the Butler family occupied it.  
    The guide mentions the house being on State Route 126.  This was later renamed State Route 16.

    1831 - Map        James Arnold

    1840's                 Eli Pond

    1870 - Map        Hiram Butler

    1885                 Albert Darling -- Jewelry Merchant

    Albert’s brother, Homer Darling, was a very successful dairy farmer, but it was his role as an innkeeper that
    enhanced his income and attracted wealthy New York vacationers. In 1866, he and his father, Newbury Darling,
    purchased the beautiful federal farmhouse at 73 North Avenue (later site of the Davenport and Lowell’s farms).
    They converted the large horse barn behind the house to summer bedrooms and constructed a large piazza so
    that guests in their rocking chairs could enjoy the scenic view of the verdant eastern slope leading to Muddy Brook.
    Homer's success as an innkeeper apparently served as an inspiration to his brother, Albert, who in 1885
    purchased the former Jonathan Russell house and converted it to a summer boarding house. His renovations
    included adding a wrap-around porch giving the historic home a completely new look. Its location at the corner of
    Hastings and Emerson Streets was along a well-travelled stage coach route. The Darling house was always full
    with summer vacationers. They capitalized on Mendon's reputation for having clean, invigorating air and pure
    water. Vacationers seeking an escape from the industrial world and city life found Mendon to be a special place.
    1927 Phineas Millis –purchased the land from the Darlings and began planning for the construction of an airport.

    Brief Biography of Phineas A. Millis

    Name:            Phineas A. Millis
    Spouse:         Bertha D. Millis, Born 1904
    Birth:              1895 - Location - Tennessee
    Residence:   1930 - Mendon, Worcester County, Massachusetts
    Death:            1962 - Dade, Florida, United States
    Buried:           Oak Grove & Vine Hills Cemetery, Plymouth Mass.

Above is a rare photo of Phineas Millis next to one of his planes.

A generic sign advertising airplane rides.

    The deed  transferring ownership from the Darling Family to Phineas A. & Bertha
    D. Millis the on December 27, 1927 the property which became the airport.

    Approximate property boundaries of the Mendon Airport. The parcel
    pictured was at the time of the sale to the Wiersma Brothers in
    1951.  The Millis’ had sold off a few parcels prior to this sale.

    A Boston Globe article announces the building of
    the airport in 1928, the 3rd in Worcester County.

    The Airport House which was formerly the Russell-Darling House not long after the
    sale.  It would forever be known as the Airport House even after its demise.  This is the
    front of the house which faced Emerson Street.  The front faced Rte. 126 (now Rte. 16).
    You can just see airport buildings and a tower behind and to the left of the house.

The site of the Airport House today (2014).

    Pictured is the hangar shortly after it was opened.  The name and directional arrow are not yet painted
    on its roof, indicting it was newly opened.

    This is how the airport was officially described by the Massachusetts Aero History Organization during
    its early years 1928-1935.

    Mendon-1928-1929-1931-1935- Mendon Airport is a Commercial field; owned and managed by  P.A.
    Millis of Mendon the operator of Millis Air Service. Commercial Operators were Herman C. Ryan and
    Arthur F. Scrutiny both of Milford. The airport’s altitude is 450’ above sea level and it is L shaped
    comprising 108 acres with 3 landing strips: one 1,500’ by 600’ in a NE/SW direction; the second 1,700’
    by 1,100’ in a NW/SE direction and the 3rd 1,800’ by 1,100’ in a N/S direction. It is sod with rock
    drainage and slopes W to E. The entire field is available except the un-cleared SW portion.  The word
    “MENDON” is imbedded in the field with an arrow pointing north. Buildings and trees to North of the
    airport and there is a pole line to the W and NW; Facilities for servicing aircraft, day and night.

    Pictured from a Boston Globe article dated October 13, 1929 which reads in part; one of the thrills
    of the air circus held at the Mendon Airport recently was furnished by Miss Henrietta Appell, age 16
    of Uxbridge.  She holds a student’s license issued by the Department of Commerce and is the
    youngest aviatrix in the State, one of the youngest in the East, and is the youngest to hold this
    license in New England.

    She made her first solo flight on Sept. 18th.  At the October 6th air show she made her first public
    appearance. She went up in the plane to 2000 feet, performed three loops and made a perfect
    landing.  She received the hearty acclaim of the 6000 spectators and, when she left the field it was
    necessary for her to have police protection due to the enthusiasm of the crowd.

    Also featured at the show was a dog fight which continued until one flyer was forced to the ground; a dead
    stick landing competition with motors turned off at 4000 ft. and landing at a given spot, and a parachute
    drop by Daredevil Dave of Virginia who turned several somersaults before pulling the ring.  18 aircraft
    participated in the 2 day event.  From the Boston Globe, Oct. 5, 1929.

    Tragedy struck on August 15, 1931 when the three-place commercial
    biplane piloted by Joseph Frietus with two female passengers crashed
    shortly after take-off.  The plane had reached 200 feet when the aircraft’s
    motor went dead.  The pilot tried to nose the plane up and make a dead
    stick landing, but was unable to do so.  The plane crashed in swampy
    land about a mile and a half from the take-off point.  One of the women
    died shortly after the crash.

    The second passenger, her niece sustained serious injuries and died
    two days later. It was their first flight and the first crash at Mendon Airport.

    An article in the Boston Globe dated August 23
    stated that the airshow scheduled at the Mendon
    Airport for Sept. 12th and 13th will be held, weather
    permitting, despite the accident.

    Boston Globe article reporting on the opening of the two day air meet held in
    Mendon September 12 & 13, 1931, just one month at the fatal plane crash.

    At the airshow on Sept. 13th tragedy was narrowly averted when a new Travelair plane with pilot
    Val Chick and two passengers getting ready for the flight, burst into flames as the motor was
    being warmed.  The pilot and two passengers jumped from the burning aircraft which was
    heavily damaged at an estimated loss of $8000 before firemen arrived.  Had they been in flight,
    a repeat of the previous tragedy might have occurred.

    This may be the plane Jessie Deacon mentioned, during an interview.  He remembered going
    to air shows when he was a boy (around the early 1930’s).  The planes were the old fabric-
    winged biplanes.  At one show one of the airplanes got too hot and the wings caught fire.  Putt
    Lowell pulled up in the fire truck and put the fire out.  

    This attempt and the air shows held here emphasize the
    importance Mendon Airport had in Greater Boston.

    Jesse Deacon had a friend who remembers that as a boy he and his brother pulled weeds at the Mendon
    Airport in exchange for a plane ride.  One summer for weeks they pulled up on their bicycles and pulled
    weeds all day.  When the time came for the big ride, they figured they’d get to fly over Boston or some other
    far-away spot – they ended up just going in a big circle around the airport!  After all those weeds!

    The first mail flight out of Mendon was sponsored by P. A. Millis in May of 1938. The actual date of the
    flight was May 19th.  The date ranges of May 15-21, 1938 are the dates for National Air Mail Week.

    First day flight of the U. S. Mail Service from Mendon
    Airport postal commemorative from Wayne Wagner.

The plane is shown as it is loaded up with mail for its flight.

When finished loading, the engine is started and the plane is ready for take-off.

The Air Mail plane speeds down the runway to begin the first air mail service out of Mendon.

    A photo taken in July 1938 at the airport of one of my favorite planes, the Stinson Reliant.  
    This was an upscale private plane usually owned by well to do businessmen.

Below - A series of 9 photographs taken during the 1930’s.

    This is an aerial photo of the airport taken around the same
    time as the previous photo. The hangar is indicated by #1
    and #2 is the airport house next to Emerson Street with the
    other buildings behind.

    This is an aerial shot also from 1938.  The red “arrow” points to the
    location of a navigational beacon which was on a hill south of the airport.  
    You can see an arrow marker on the ground which points towards Boston.
    These beacons sat on a concrete platform and had giant arrows, also
    made from concrete, pointing the way.  This and many of the other maps
    used in this document were taken from the internet (Historic  

    Above is an undated article about the purchase of the
    property where the airport beacon was located.  A rental fee
    was paid to compensate the owner’s for use of the site.

    Topographical map from 1944.  The beacon appears on this map, but none appear on previous
    maps.  According to Wayne Wagner, however, the beacon was there at least as of 1940.  Why
    the 1943 map does not show it is unknown, but could be a wartime censorship.  Although 1944
    was deep into the war, it may not have been published until late ‘44 or even 1945 when the tide
    had turned in our favor and we had less to fear about enemy air attacks.

    The Airway Beacon (at center) shown on a topographical map from 1964. By
    1971 no airway beacon appears on the topo map. Topographical maps from
    1965-1970 are not available on this site.  The beacon tower was removed
    some time in this during these years.

    In 1923, the United States Congress funded money for a sequential lighted airway of 50 foot
    tall beacon towers built from numbered angle iron sections with concrete footings which
    included enormous arrows measuring between 50 and 70 feet long. The towers had a rotating
    gas-powered light with 5,000 candlepower that would flash every ten seconds. In clear
    weather the beacon lights could be seen from a distance of 10 miles high. Below the main
    white beacon, a secondary set of red and green lights would flash a Morse code letter to
    identify the beacon to pilots. Engineers believed the variations of beacon height along hills and
    valleys would allow pilots to see them both above ground fog, and below cloud layers and help
    them trace their way along their route in bad weather conditions and particularly at night, which
    was a more efficient time to fly. Daytime navigation followed rivers, landmarks, and arrows
    pointing north on top of hangars, barns and other buildings and the beacons themselves.

    A small outbuilding was needed, with a generator for power if none was available. Some
    buildings also served as weather stations. The lighted airway was deployed by the
    Department of Commerce. It was managed by the Bureau of Standards Aeronautical Branch.  
    Lighted emergency airfields were also funded along the route every 15–20 miles.  This was
    the transcontinental airmail route system from New York to San Francisco.  The Boston to New
    York local route, which included the beacon light in Mendon, linked it into this system.
    Construction of the system began in 1924.

    The beacons were used mainly for night navigation
    and were built primarily for the air mail service as can
    be seen from the pamphlet cover and air mail stamp.

    Navigation and radio technology improved to allow flight without land-
    based visual guidance. The Low Frequency Radio Range (LFRR)
    system began to replace older visual-based systems and the
    government no longer funded them.

    After the program was de-funded, various beacons would continue to
    operate in limited capacities into the 1940s.  At that time, the
    Department of Commerce decommissioned and disassembled
    most of the towers for their steel, a resource in short supply and
    desperately needed to support the war effort.

    The last airway beacon was officially shut down in 1973, although the
    Montana Department of Transportation Aeronautics Division
    reportedly continues to operate around 19 updated beacons in the
    mountains of Western Montana.

    The beacon tower in Mendon was closed down sometime during the
    1960’s.  The article below is undated and from the Milford Daily News.

How the Beacon Tower Platform appears today (2014).

Forest growth, leaves and other debris have covered much of the site.

    Doug Taylor remembered a biplane which took off to the north and was too low
    to clear the wires at the end of the runway.  The pilot banked left and tried flying
    down Millville Road, but unfortunately crashed into a tree.  The photo is not from
    Mendon, but the crash would have looked like this.


    Above is a great photo of all airport buildings after the great
    hurricane.  The “Airport House” can be seen at left.

                              The 1938 Hurricane devastates the airport.

    The worst hurricane to hit the area occurred on Sept. 21, 1938.  The destruction was
    widespread and extensive destroying the big hangar and damaging the airport house.

This photo by Doug Taylor shows the hangar from a slightly different angle.

Another view of the collapsed hangar.

    The airport house after the hurricane. Damage to the structure and the hangar and some other buildings
    can be seen behind and to the left of the house.  The track of the massive storm is pictured below.

Below are aerial photos of the airport taken on Christmas Day 1940.

    At this date the ‘Quonset Hut” style hangar has not been built.  See
    the photos below from 1947 where this hangar can be seen.  It was
    likely built sometime between the years 1940-1945.  The plane next
    to the runway is there in the photo, but the other one is not.

    A short time after war was declared after Pearl Harbor, two
    army and one navy plane came to Mendon Airport.  According to
    the article; “It is quite evident that from now on the army or naval
    planes will be stationed continually at the field”.

    New hangars and other buildings were either built or reconstructed.  This is how the
    airport was described by the Massachusetts Aero History Organization in 1945.

    1945- Airport landing facilities included a seeded strip running in a N/S direction 1,800’
    by 200’; a sod strip from NE/SW 1,100’ by 100’ an Allway sod and seeded strip: 1,800’
    by 150’. There are 96 usable acres with an irregular surface. Navigation facilities
    include boundary day markers, and a wind cone. Obstructions include pole lines along
    the N, NW, and NE and trees and buildings N, S, SE, and NNW of the airport. Services:
    there are 3 hangars, an office.  Minor repairs can be performed, 80 octane aviation fuel
    is available, with storage facilities, training, and day service.

This aerial photo shows the three hangars.

    Visible in this photo from the 1940’s are the runway which is prominent, hangars
    and other airport buildings.  What may be an airplane can barely be seem in this
    fuzzy photo half way up and just to the right of the runway.  It appears the “airport
    house” is still standing in both pictures (this and the photo above).  

    A biplane is being refueled in this photo from David Lowell.  Leo
    Wiersma mentioned there was a concrete pad not far from the
    Quonset style hangar where planes were fueled (see photo below).

    The “Quonset Hut” hangar can be seen in the background
    indicating the photo was taken sometime during the 1940’s.

    Howard and Peggy Phipps mentioned the crop duster which flew out of
    the airport.  Peggy was one of the lucky ones who actually got to fly in it!

    Years ago Jesse Deacon’s wife, Shirley, worked for a prominent surgeon
    (Dr. Francis King) who was a flight buff and a pilot.  He kept his plane at
    the Mendon airport and offered to give her a ride.  It was her first ride in a
    plane and she was nervous she’d get air sick – he assured her she
    would be fine, and a nurse from the office went up with them as well.  
    They brought along paper bags, just in case!  Luckily she did great and no
    paper bags were put to use.

    A Piper Cub ad from 1946 showing Millis Air Service, Mendon, Mass. as a Piper
    aircraft dealer. Their dealer name is listed below the ad.  This is a color ad with
    the dealer names attached to appear more colorful for the presentation.

    Above is similar ad from the Boston Globe (1946/1947) in b & w newsprint. I attached
    the list of dealer’s to the color ad to show it is much more dramatic and appealing it
    appears. More ads can be seen at the end of Part II.  Note Millis Air Service of Mendon,
    Mass. Listed at the top of the third column of Piper Aircraft dealers.

    This is how the airport appeared shortly before it closed.  There are what appear to be two Piper Cubs next to the
    hangar.  Millis Airways was a Piper dealer.

    Here's an interesting tid-bit from Jesse Deacon.  Pete’s Bluebird Restaurant in Bellingham was named for his blue
    airplane which Pete flew out of Mendon.

    John Quirk grew up on the family farm in Mendon, where he learned farming the land and
    the buying and selling of cows, horses, antiques and furniture from his father.  John also
    worked at the Mendon airport and, as a young boy, took flying lessons. On his 16th
    birthday, he got his pilot's license in the morning and his driver's license in the afternoon.

    Soon after, also at the age of sixteen, he and his friend Stanley "Cooch" Nuthall joined the
    US Navy on the buddy system.  John became a fighter pilot in the South Pacific. He flew
    many missions from Hawaii to the Philippines, Guam and Japan.

    John flew often from the Mendon Airport and he is reputed to be the last person to fly out of
    the airport before it closed in 1951.

    The two photos were taken on the same
    day not long after the airport closed.

    Although this incident was not directly related to the airport, Dr. Ashkins
    flew out of Draper Airport for this flight to Florida as Mendon Airport was
    closed years earlier.  The doctor used to fly regularly from Mendon Airport
    prior to its closing.  He was 71 years old and able to swim ashore in the
    cold winter water after his plane crashed into the ocean.  Sadly his pet
    dog drowned after being trapped in the rapidly sinking aircraft.

    A newspaper article from 1951 announcing the sale of the airport to
    the Wiersma Brothers.  The article states; “While to airport was in
    operation no fatal accidents occurred”.  This is an error as we know,
    at least two were killed from the crash of an airplane. The Wiersmas
    did, however, farm the property.

    Deed for the sale to the Wiersma Bros. On April 25, 1951
    P. A. Millis sold to Wiersma Brothers who farmed the land.

                 Milford Daily News, January 17, 1952

    Not long after the airport was sold, disaster struck when one
    of the former hangars caught fire and was totally destroyed

    On the night of January 16, 1952, fire destroyed the former hangar, which was just off Emerson
    Street, owned by the Cornelius, George, Arthur, and Harry Wiersma. The premises were rented to
    Anderson Bros. Co. of Dallas, TX who were constructing the natural gas pipeline in the area and was
    used as a tool & work shop.  Two bulldozers, a truck and tractor were stored inside and all were lost
    in the blaze. The equipment was fully and hangar partially insured.  It was never rebuilt.

    A short-circuit reportedly caused the fire which at first was thought to be of a slight nature, until drums
    of gasoline exploded and within seconds the metal 40 x 60 foot structure was an inferno.  At one point
    black smoke shot nearly 200 feet high in the air by the exploding gasoline.

    Water was secured by Fire Chief Harold F. Lowell and his men from a hydrant by Clayton Parkinson’s
    greenhouse beneath which a well proved a plentiful source of water.

    Leo Wiersma related this story to us and pointed out the smaller barn which burned.  The larger barn,
    to its right in the photo, was used to store hay.  Luckily, the fire did not spread to this potentially
    flammable building.

    The white ‘arrow” points to the area where the hangar that burned had been in this photo.

    P. A. Millis sold the airport during the previous year and purchased another airport in New York.

    On June 24, 1960 the Barrows family purchased a portion of the property beginning at the south side
    of Emerson Street and was it used for farming as well.

    On March 31, 1969 Jesse White purchased the property still owned by the Wiersma famiiy and
    opened a boat dealership and rented the farmland.  The article above describes the purchase.

    John Hogarth related the fact he started his pattern & fabrication forge business, which later moved to
    Uxbridge, in the Quonset hut style hangar!

    The metal building on the corner of Emerson and Hastings Street was built under Jesse
    White's ownership.  The Globe photo from 1969 features the metal building which is on
    the site of the old “airport house”.  The description below the photo of 13 acres is
    certainly not just this building alone.  It must refer to the complex of buildings in the
    former airport which were there and also put up by Jesse.  I was told it now houses a
    magnetic paint business, whatever that is. Maybe whatever they paint points true north!!!

    Jesse White’s, once the largest boat dealer in New England and, according to a
    Boston Globe article dated Sept. 7, 1969; “the countries busiest distributor of boats
    and snowmobiles," hosted an area wide boat show in 1969.  It attracted some of the
    top dealer’s in the marine trade business.  The facility at the old airport boasted five
    new buildings, once of which was the large hangar looking building used for such
    events and for storing inventory.  Sadly by 1983, the business was all but gone.

    Above is the plot plan of most of the former airport property when it was
    sold in 1983.

    Other owners of the property or portions of the property follow:

    May 26, 1983 - - Earl and Wesley Rogers purchased it for farming.  

    July 17, 1985 --   Al Carboni purchased part of the property for housing
    known as Wesley Estates: White Road, Kelley Rd. and Wesley Drive. The
    houses are now privately owned.

    Oct. 21, 1986 --   Billy Hood (WMK Developers) -- bought the portion of
    the property for the Country Hill Plaza which includes small stores; among
    them was Air Port Video.

    These are aerial shots of the airport buildings and what was there over 4 different periods
    when Jessie White owned the property and 1998 when Bill Hood owned it.

    The keys to the numbers in the four aerial photos are:

    1.        The hangar located next to Emerson Street.  By 1978 it was taken down.

    2.        The Quonset hut shaped hangar which is still here.

    3.        Former site of the airport house (gone in the 1967 photo and replaced with the tin
    building where the VNA was and a magnetic paint business is now.

    4.        The large hangar like building erected by Jessie White to store his boats was not
    there in 1967, but was by 1971 and is still standing today (2014).  

    During the 2000’s --   Kevin Meehan acquired the Country Hill Plaza which was renamed
    Hood Plaza. It includes several small stores and has been more successful since this

    The “Quonset Hut” type hangar as it appears today in the top photo.  The
    second photo is the large hangar-like structure built by Jesse White to
    store his boats.  The bottom photo is Hood Plaza at night now owned by
    Kevin Meehan.  There are homes built along Kelly Road, Wesley Drive
    and White Rd. which are privately owned.  I do not know who owns the
    buildings at the airport site itself which contain several business including
    Sudbury Granite, Blue Magic Auto Supplies, and others.

A recent aerial view of the bulk of what once was the Mendon Airport.

    A map of the airport in Smithfield, and what is around
    it, where Sabbie Ludovici moved after he left Mendon.

    Copy of the Mendon Airport report from Committee for Aeronautics
    Progress Report from 1937 follows on the next five pages.

    A map of the airport as it appeared in 1937, one year before the great hurricane.  
    If you increase the magnification view on your screen you will be able to see more
    detail in this and the other pictures.

This page was created by Paul Doucette

Mendon Menu   

    These three photos of the “Waco” biplane are of a similar aircraft
    or are of the actual mail plane pictured in the previous text.

    A “Challenger” type aircraft in front of the Mendon Airport
    hangar getting ready to take off and in flight over the field.

I would like to thank/acknowledge those who helped with this document by
providing space, information, photos, research, and where to find things:

Britney Anderson   Jesse Deacon    Berneta (Lowell) DeVries   

Amy Dewitt     Patrice Doucette   Joy (Murch) & Carl Gaskil  

Warren Goodnow   Dick Grady    John Hogarth   

David & Jane Lowell

Mendon Police Calendars - Mendon Senior Center

Janice Muldoon Moors      Lou Morelli

Butch Murch      Sue Ober        Larry Pearson

Howard & Peggy Phipps    Jim & John Quirk

Gary & Shirley Smith       Taft Public Library

Doug Taylor      Wayne Wagner   Leo Wiersma

    Below is a verbal description of the airport

    From: The Mass. Aviation Historical Society   

    Mendon-1928-1929-1931-1935- Mendon Airport, Commercial field; Owner/Manager.: P.A. Millis,
    Mendon; Operator: Mills Air service. 3 miles South of Mendon, 3 miles SW of Milford; 4 miles NE of
    Uxbridge; 10 miles N of Woonsocket, RI; Lake Nipmuc .5 miles SW of field; Commercial Operators:
    Herman C. Ryan, Milford; Arthur F. Scruten, Milford; Altitude: 450’ L shaped, 108 acres; 3 landing
    strips: 1,500’by 600’NE/SW; 1,700’ by 1,100’ NW/SE; 1,800’ by 1,100’ N/S; sod, slopes W to E;
    rock drainage. Entire field available except un-cleared SW portion.  “MENDON” imbedded in field,
    arrow pointing north. Buildings and trees to N’; pole line to W and NW; Facilities for servicing
    aircraft, day and night.

    1945- Landing facilities: Seeded strip N/S 1,800’ by 200’; sod strip: NE/SW 1,100’ by 100’ Allway
    sod and seeded strip: 1,800’ by 150’. Useable acres, 96, Irregular surface, Navigation facilities:
    boundary day markers, Wind cone, Obstructions: Pole lines: N, NW, NE. Trees: and buildings: N, S,
    SE, NNW. Services: 3 hangars, office, minor repairs gas-80 octane, storage, training, day service.