lford, Hopedale   1880 - 1930

                                                                        Page 1, 1880 - 1899

    In 1930, Milford held what appears to have been a very large celebration of its 150th
    anniversary. As part of that occasion, a book titled "Milford 1880 - 1930" was published.
    Tootsie Deletti made me aware of the book and loaned me a copy from which I took the
    items below. Since this is a Hopedale website, I've concentrated on Hopedale items, but
    there were so many things that tell a bit about the times and/or affected the entire area,
    much of what I have below is from Milford. DM

    January 5 -Gen. William F. Draper appointed to staff of Gov. John D. Long

    June 1 - Agitation for Memorial Hall. George Draper offered $2500 toward it.

    March 9 - Milford Water Co. organized with Moses Joy, jr., president.

    June 2 - Seats for formal opening of Milford Opera House were sold at public auction at
    the house. George Draper paid the highest price, $55, Gen. William Draper the second
    highest, $47.50  

    June 3 - The play, "The Guv'nor" opened the Opera House with Reeve's orchestra of
    ten pieces of Providence.

    September 6 - Unusual and curious atmospheric conditions, remembered as the "yellow

    Yellow Day was caused by a great forest fire in Michigan called The Thumb Fire (a
    peninsula in the lower part of the state resembles a thumb on a map). Drought and high
    speed winds swept over four counties in Michigan, and burned more than one million
    acres. About 20 villages were destroyed at least 282 people were killed. Smoke, soot,
    and ash were sent high up into the atmosphere and obscured sunlight on the east coast
    of the United States as far as south as Virginia. From CelebrateBoston.com

    October 3 - Citizens at special town meeting voted to sell the town's 500 shares of stock
    in the Milford & Woonsocket Railroad Corporation to George Draper and James P. Ray
    for $30,000.

    September 18 - Milford Water Co. commenced extending its water mains to Hopedale.

    December 26 - Milford Board of Trade organized. Hopedale members of the board
    included Gen. William F. Draper, F. J. Dutcher and J. B. Bancroft.

    January 6 - Five Milford cigar namufacturers made 1.251,300 cigars during 1882.
    Cigars were first made in Milford in 1866.

    March 6 - George Draper leased the Hopkinton railroad until the auction sale to be held

    July 23. The road is to be run in connection with the new line to Franklin with through
    trains from Ashland to Boston and Providence via Milford.

    December 30 - Death of Hannah (Brown) Draper, wife of George Draper.

    May 16 - George Draper sold the railroad from Milford to Ashland to the Milford &
    Woonsocket Railroad Co., through legislative act.

    October 16 - Rev. and Mrs. George Stacy observed golden wedding anniversary.  
    [Stacy was a prominent member of the Hopedale Community , a Utopian commune, for
    several years.]

    November 21 - The new railroad is selling round trip tickets to Boston by way of Franklin
    for $1.00.

    March 2 - Milford selectmen elected at town meeting include J. B. Bancroft.

    June 22 - George Draper writes an open letter, published in the Journal, stating that he
    is to petition the Legislature to have Hopedale set off as a separate town.  (For more on
    this subject, continue down to October 17, and then to 1886. Click here for more on
    another page.)

    August 17 - George A. Draper, Z.C. Field and A. J. Sumner were chosen as a committee
    to interview Norcross Bros. concerning the report of leaving Milford. The principal
    reason was the indiscriminate sale of liquor in the vicinity of the quarry. If this trouble
    was remedied they would consider remaining here.

    September 9 - A move was made toward establishing a local company for electric

    October 17 - At a public meeting of Hopedale voters in Social Hall, on the question of
    dividing Hopedale from Milford, the sentiment was in favor of the division. George
    Draper was chairman and Frank J. Dutcher, secretary. Delano Patrick of Hopedale
    opposed the division.

    October 21 - Milford Electric Light Co., formed and Milford is now to have electric
    lighting. Poles and wires have arrived, a new boiler bought and carpenters are at work
    on the building on Central street.

    November 11 - Lighting by electricity for the first time in Milford tonight. Five street lights
    erected and seven business men also began the use of electric lighting.

    December 1 - George Draper, chairman of Memorial Hall committee, officially notified
    the Selectmen of the completion of the building.

    January 8 - Severe snowstorm and gale continuing for two days, tied up railroads for
    several hours. Only one stage, the one to Hopedale, succeeded in getting through the

    January 27-27 - Hearing on the division of Hopedale and Milford at the State House.
    The entire days were taken up by the petitioners and adjourned until February 1. On
    that day the petitioners closed their case and previous to it the remonstrants were

    March 24 - The House ordered the Hopedale separation bill to a third reading, 118 to
    92 and then engrossed it 116 to 78. Fully 300 from Milford were at the State House
    when the voting took place. On April 3 the Senate enacted the bill, 18 to 16. When the
    separation became complete the Milford school committee decided to charge the
    Hopedale pupils in the Milford High Schol $1 per week for tuition.

    December 11 - Meeting of Selectmen of Milford and Hopedale in Milford Town Hall to
    divide the assets and liabilities of Milford, as of April 6, 1886. The matter will be referred
    for settlement to three commissioners appointed by the Superior Court of Worcester
    County. Chairman E. D. Bancroft of Hopedale Selectmen, demanded this procedure.

    February 26 - Judge Staples of Superior Court appointed William N. Clark of Worcester,
    Simon Borden of Fall River and Augustus B. Endicott of Dedham, commissioners in the
    Milford-Hopedale separation matter.

    June 7 - George Draper died at the United States Hotel in Boston, aged 70 years.  

    July 22 - An agreement of settlement of all differences arising between Milford and
    Hopedale because of the incorporation of the latter, April 7, 1886, was presented to the
    special commissioners.

    September 1 - Milford Daily News established.

    January 4 - In 1887, there were 2,216,525 cigars made in Milford.

    September 1 - Homecoming reception tendered to Gen. W. F. Draper by the citizens of
    Milford and Hopedale in Milford Town Hall.

    October 17 - The new Grafton & Upton railway to be run from the present railroad
    grounds in Milford, through Hopedale to North Grafton.

    June 3 - The Milford Pink Granite Co. received the contract for the completion of the
    Boston Public Library, for $873,500.  (Quarry pictures)

    September 9 - There were 2,118 tons of stone shipped over the B & A during August.

    August 5 - Rev. Adin Ballou, aged 87 years, 3 months and 13 days, died in his home at
    Hopedale. He was historian for Milford, founder of the Hopedale Community and a noted
    writer and authority on many subjects.

    August 27 - President E.P Usher of the Milford & Hopedale Street Railway Co., ordered
    six cars, each to cost $6,000 for the railway. Electric storage battery system is to be

    February 18 - Milford Overseers of the Poor report that $3,400 was realized from sale of
    produce at the almshouse.

    April 13 - The first street car by electric-storage battery power, was run over the Milford
    & Hopedale system on Central and Main streets with newspaper men and others as

    May 18 - Gen. W.F. Draper subscribed $1,000 toward the $10,000 necessary toward
    starting a new shoe manufactory in Milford.

    April 14 - Milford Electric Light & Power Co. votes to extend the incandescent lamp
    street lighting to Hopedale.

    November 8 - Gen W. F. Draper elected congressman.

    April 28 - Milford & Hopedale Street Railway Co. erects a new building for the
    manufacture of storage batteries.

    March 17 - Milford granite cutters, after a prolonged strike, reached agreement for a
    sliding scale of 27 to 34 cents an hour.

    May 14 - The will of Nancy Bartlett left her home on Chestnut Street for an "Old Ladies
    Home," to be named after her.

    September 13 - Tracks, franchise and rights belonging to the Milford & Hopedale Street
    Railway Co. were taken over by the Milford, Holliston & Framingham Street Railway Co.

    December 21 - Mendon Horse Thief Detecting Society celebrated it 100th anniversary.

    January 1 - During 1895 there were 71,377 cases of boots and 13, 947 tons of cut
    granite shipped form Milford.  J

    June 19 - William Lapworth of Hopedale, manufacturer of elastic web goods, met Milford
    business men and arrangements made for his commencing business in Milford at the
    old battery factory on Depot street. Mr. Lapworth having secured a five year lease.

    June 2 - The Milford & Upton Street Railway Co., granted a franchise by the Milford
    Selectmen, were refused one by the Hopedale Selectmen.

    December 7 - The first basketball game ever played in Milford was tonight in Town Hall
    between two
    Y.M.C.A. teams.

    January 31 - The worst blizzard since 1867 visited Milford, tying up all traffic and
    completely isolated the Town for two days.

    May 4 - George A., Eben S. and George Otis Draper, all of Hopedale, generously
    offered to equip Co.M members with such personal effects as they desired, not
    furnished by the government.

    May 4 - Milford's patriotism is around. Hundreds of flags adorn business blocks,
    factories and residences and the motto "Remember the Maine" is much in evidence.

    May 4 - Milford citizens honored Co. M with a big public recognition in Town Hall. The
    company was escorted from the Armory by Milford brass band and ablaze of red fire.
    Patriotic speeches made by prominent Milford and Hopedale residents.

    May 6 - Co. M given a rousing farewell on its departure for Framingham muster field
    preparatory for service in the Spanish-American war.  

    May 20 - On departure of Co. M to Washington from Framingham, hundreds of Milford's
    citizens went to Framingham to cheer them off. The Milford High School Cadets assisted
    in the ceremonies.

    June 20 - Co. M, through Corp A.B. Edmunds, recruiting officer, filled its quota. The men
    in charge of A.J. Draper, one of their number and son of Gen. W.F. Draper, left Milford
    June 21 for Albany, N.Y. They were given a stirring farewell on their departure.

    July 1 - Arthur J. Draper has been commissioned Lieutenant.

    October 27  - Milford gives rousing welcome to Capt. John F. Barrett of Co. M and his
    command on their return from the Spanish-American war. Big street parade and
    reception in Armory Hall followed.

    November 1 - Paul T. French of Hopedale, a member of Co. M died October 24 on the
    relief ship, "Bay State," of fever. He was buried at sea.

    January 9 - Selectmen request the war department to forward to Milford the bodies of
    Sergt. Asa B. Trask and Private A. L. Wilkinson, who died in the war, from Porto Rico.

    June 8 - Misses Annie and Carrie Wheeler, daughters of Gen. Joseph Wheeler, a
    Confederate general, of Alabama, are being entertained by Milford and Hopedale

    July 19 - State Board of Health warns the local Board about drinking water through lead

              Page 2,  Milford, Hopedale 1900 - 1912          Page 3,  Draper Strike of 1913        

                                       Page 4, Milford, Hopedale 1914 - 1930       

                           Milford in 1780         Milford Menu              Hopedale   
Hopedale center, c. 1890