Mary Phillips

    In March 2016, Mary Phillips wrote to say that her great-aunt, Annie Phillips had worked for
    the Clare Draper family at their home on Adin Street. The house was located where Memorial
    School is now. At first she sent a few messages about Annie. After a while I asked Mary about
    her own life. Here's what she sent.

    I lived at 89 Main Street, Milford (the granite building). We were all Irish; the Pynes, the
    Duddys, my Aunt Nellie, and Mag McKenna. I remember going up on the roof with my mother
    when she hung the washing. My brother and I would look over the back staircase and see big
    rats running around. Wow! Aunt Nellie ironed her brother Wendell's shirts. She didn't have an
    electric iron either. The iron was heated on the stove. Wendell's sons would be walking home
    from St. Mary's, and she would try to get their attention by throwing small stones at them so
    she could ask them to take home the shirts. Of course they would ignore her. The apartments
    were high because there were stores on the first floor. I was only about five years old, but I
    can picture everything in my mind like it was yesterday

    I used to bring lunch to Aunt Annie's sister Cora at Lapworth's factory, where she was a
    forelady. Aunt Nellie worked there too, as did Aunt Margaret until she married Sumner
    Lapworth. My mother ran the household as Annie and Cora worked. She did all the cooking,
    cleaning, and grocery shopping. She was an excellent cook. I remember helping her put
    curtains on a stretcher with a million nails, it seemed, and beating carpets with a hand beater
    outside. We had a basement kitchen which Wendell designed. It was very nice. My sister had
    a dog and my mother would give him a bath in the set tub. You could just walk out to the back
    yard from the kitchen, which became the hub of activity for the house. I still use some of my mother's
    recipes today.

The Thom Building - 89 Main Street.

    My father, Edward J. Curran, (not related to Paul Curran) was born in Milford.  He lived on
    Central Street. His mother did laundry for people on Claflin Hill. He and his brother would
    deliver it in a clothes basket. Sometimes they would swing the basket too high. Just imagine
    what happened then. He was a painter (rooms) by trade. When we built our house he used a
    technique he had seen in churches (when he was a chauffeur for Uncle Wendell) on my living
    room walls. It was a shade of gray. He took a cloth and touched the paint while it was wet to
    give a mottled look. He thought it would work well with my family which it did. Many years later
    it was used extensively.

    My father had a sister who lived in Upton. Her husband ran a grocery store called Clover
    Farm. It was across from the hat shop. Their names were George and Rose Davis. Their
    daughters were Marilyn and Helen. Marilyn married Billy Summers. He was the son of the
    American League umpire from Upton. He was the athletic director in Framingham.  His father,
    the umpire, worked in the shipping room in Drapers in the winter.  He was quite a personality.
    My sister-in- law worked there too.

    My father took me to visit his aunt in Brockton. The only thing I can remember is two of their
    sons were teachers at Boston Latin School.

    I have a picture of me in a coat that Aunt Annie made out of an overcoat from the Clare
    Drapers that they had discarded. Funny, I remember her sewing to alter it for me. I was about
    three. One time she brought home some old skates that they had discarded. Well, among
    them I found a pair of black shoe skates that fit me. I was so excited because the other skates
    I had were just the ones you clamped on your shoes. I thought I was the "cat's meow." When I
    went on vacation with my Uncle Wendell, Aunt Annie brought home a bathing suit for me. It
    was from Best & Company, an upscale store in Boston at the time. My family couldn't afford to
    buy a bathing suit for me. When my vacation was over, Aunt Eva asked me if I could leave it
    for the next one coming down. This was during the Depression. I happily left it.

    I'd go to Uncle Wendell's place at Nantasket for two weeks every summer. I also went to my
    aunt and uncle's in Upton for a vacation, which seemed like a big deal back then.

    The Phillips family, including Wendell (back row,
    middle), and Annie (front row with dark skirt.)

    Years ago the family never told you anything. My mother and her sister were brought up by
    Annie, who also raised another niece. I wondered what went on as I think about it now. They
    just took the kids away from their mother. The fathers also went to live with Annie. I never
    knew anything about my grandmother or my grandfather. He died at 44. My mother's sister
    died at 21. Many family members died with tuberculosis. They didn't know it was contagious.
    Annie buried them all at St. Mary's Cemetery in Milford. She bought 16 graves in the middle
    section which were the more reasonable ones. I have the original deed. She paid $40.00 on
    August 15, 1918. I don't think all are used.

    My brother and I were close in age. He was a year older. I must have been about five when
    we moved to 69 South Main Street. That was Annie's home. When we'd go to Mass at St.
    Mary's, my mother would give us church envelopes with five cents in each of them. One
    Sunday we decided to take out the money to go to Ida Lee's after Mass. Ida Lee's was a
    store that sold many items, including candy. Five cents would buy quite a bit. We put the
    envelopes down a manhole. We were found out! It seems that we did that in front of the home
    of a friend of my mother.

    During my school years I had great friends. In about the seventh grade we formed a club. We
    called it "The 41 Club." That was the year we would graduate. We took turns meeting at our
    homes. We had dinner parties. Our mothers went along with it. We kept getting together after
    some of us were married. The members were Helene Cooney, Helen Duggan Northrop, Janet
    Dalrymple Tosches, Claire Fitzpatrick Small, Frances Greene Hennessey, Shirley Snow
    Clarico, Ester Healy Giacomuzzi, Margaret Dillion Malia, and Helen Donnelley Nuding. Janet
    Tosches and I are the only ones still living. We've been friends for 80 years. We went
    everywhere together. Of course we walked. We went to school sport games, St. Mary's too,
    and band concerts in Hopedale. ! never missed a Wednesday concert there. We'd go ice
    skating at night at Hopedale Pond and at Greene Street and at the Vernon Grove Cemetery.

    In high school, proms were very important to us. When I was a freshman, I got invited to the
    junior prom. That was quite a feather in my cap. In my junior year I didn't get invited, so my
    cousin Arthur Lapworth from Hopedale took me. Of course I told no one that he was my
    cousin. He was very handsome in his white formal jacket. In those days boys just wore their
    best suit; not any tuxes.

    St. Mary's had proms. If you didn't go to school at St. Marys, you had to be approved
    beforehand. As I was not a St. Mary's student although my escort was, so much for that. If
    you were at a social there and "they" thought your skirt was too short, you were asked to get
    off the dance floor. Not that I ever was, but it did happen to some friends.

    Norumbega Park was "the" place to go dancing. All the big bands played there. I was lucky
    enough to go twice. I saw Benny Goodman and Glen Gray.

    Wendell was employed by Maginnis & Walsh in Boston. When he came down to Nantasket for
    the weekend, he went to Faneuil Hall Marketplace to buy food. There would be crates of
    fruits, vegetables, steaks, lobsters, clams, and of course liquor. He would make the clam
    chowder. Many relatives would be down for a weekend, sleeping everywhere; on couches, on
    the porch. It was nice to be part of that.

    Some of us got jobs in Woolworth's. Claire and Frances worked in the crockery department.
    (Every time we heard a crash, we'd say, "No pay for them this week.") Helen Donnelley
    Nuding was at the ribbon counter. Janet worked in stationery, and I was at the candy counter.
    Roberta Beck worked at the stationery counter, too. She was the only one from Hopedale.
    We made twenty-five cents an hour and worked Thursday and Saturday nights.

    Another place I worked was for Frank Roy Hixon at his ice cream place where CVS on South
    Main Street is now. It was a very busy place in the summer. Hixon made his own ice cream. He
    was a chemist and had worked for H.P. Hood. I remember seeing him cutting up peaches. He
    gave us 10 cents worth of ice cream to take home every night. They had five-cent cups then.
    Bud Kirby would fill them for us. He'd ask what flavor we wanted and then put it in a bag.
    When I got home I saw that the two boxes were six inches tall, each full to the top. If Mr. Hixon
    ever saw that he would have had a stroke. JJ's in Upton is the only one to come close to

    I trained at Milford Hospital School of Nursing for a year and then left and got married.
    Although he was from Hopedale, Red Phillips hung around with the South End Gang - Eddie
    Sullivan, John Cugini, John and Will Norton, Frank Zersky, Bobby Cosentino and "Junie"
    Bishop. He was very shy. I remarked to Eddie Sullivan, "He's kinda' cute. I wouldn't mind going
    out with him." Well, as they say, the rest is history. On our first date at the Shrewsbury Drive-
    in I remember saying to myself, "That's who I'm going to marry." Red enlisted in the National
    Guard quartermaster unit in Natick with Vinnie Dugan. They furnished food and supplies. Red
    was a truck driver. When an officer needed a driver they wanted Red. He was stationed at
    Camp Edwards at the Cape when we were married. We were married in the rectory at St.
    Mary's by Father Collins.

    My husband's name was Harold Augustus, which he hated. He was usually called "Red." His
    mother was very patriotic. Ben was Ben Franklin Phillips. John was John Pershing Phillips.

    Red drove a ten wheeler in France and Belgium. He never talked about being overseas
    much, except to say they drove a lot at night and never really knew where they were. He and
    his two brothers met overseas. Hence the picture of them on the plaque at Phllips Field.

    My friend Peg Dugan asked me to work for her at her job in Wellesley on her nights off. The
    first job I did for her was for the Hunnewels in a big mansion behind a big wall. I didn't drive
    and my husband had a hard time finding the right house. An elderly brother and sister lived
    there. The brother had dementia. He was a former professor of botany at Harvard. The next
    place I worked was for a Mrs. Moreland whose husband had been president of MIT at one
    time. I finally got my license but until then my husband had to bring me there at night and pick
    me up in the morning.

    I did a lot of work like that in the Milford area too, including for Mrs. Saunders (Barbara Ellis's
    mother), Gladys Beaudet, Jean Bright, Dr. Chichetti, George Ellis, Helen Northrop's mother,
    Dorothy Burns, and Mrs. William Northrop. I also worked for Eunice Carrier in Hopedale, and
    when she moved to the Cape with her daughter Linda I went down there. She lived before the
    canal. I worked nights for her, and one day when the lady who worked mornings came in, I
    noticed that she was tipsy, so I stayed. Eunice's place was right on the beach. She was a fun
    lady and we had many laughs. I had many choice cases. Ruth Manuel at the VNA called me
    for jobs too. I also worked for my aunt, Eva Phillips. My youngest daughter is following in my

    I was with Gladys Beaudet for four years. She was a lovely lady. She came to Hopedale as a
    kindergarten teacher. She lived in a boarding house, where she met Horace who was working
    at Drapers. She left after they told her what church to go to, but she kept her relationship with
    Horace who became her husband. Their home was where the Wesleys live now. (190 Dutcher
    Street) He was a "big shot" at Drapers. He always wanted to work in the auto industry, but
    every time he went to leave they boosted his salary so much that he stayed. Sadly he passed
    when he had just retired, so she moved to the apartment house across from the fire house.
    She had her friends come to the house and take what they liked. She had Earl Johnson, an
    interior decorator, do over her apartment, with all new furniture in the kitchen and bath. The
    owner would ask if he could show her apartment to a prospective renter, as if the rest were
    like hers. No way. She had a woman come to clean and one day she was hollering her head
    off. I rushed to see what was going on. Well, a bat had gotten in and was flying around. We
    opened the hall door and it flew into the hall. They pushed me out and slammed the door.
    What was I to do? I was as afraid as they were. It went up the stairs. Me too. I opened a
    window and it flew out. I asked them, "What made you two think I was the brave one?"

    Mrs. Beaudet had a Wednesday bridge club. The ladies arrived at 10 a.m. Each brought a
    sandwich. Mrs. Beaudet furnished coffee and dessert. Once one lady gave me her sandwich
    to put in the fridge. As I went to put it in, I looked and noticed that it was crawling with big
    black ants. I showed Gladys and she told the lady. Well, the lady just came into the kitchen,
    opened the sandwich and pulled off the ants. She flushed them down the sink, handed it to
    me and said, "It's okay now." After lunch they would have their sherry. The more they had, the
    louder they got. Gladys did not partake.  

    Gladys's maiden name was Olmsted. She was from Brockton. She was related to Frederick
    Law Olmstead, the designer of Central Park in New York City. She had an old felt skirt that
    had been inside a trunk which had been in a tornado. She had a brother who lectured at a Her nephew, George Beaudet, was a judge from Woonsocket. She had
    gone to Wheelock and Horace had gone to the Rhode Island School of Design. In his will,
    Horace left money to "Boy's Town." Later that was found to be corrupt. Judge Beaudet
    recovered the money and Gladys put it into a scholarship at the high school.

    Another one of the people I worked for was Mrs. Saunders. She was Barbara Ellis's mother.
    She was born in Milford to the Walker family of the former Milford Savings Bank. Her brother
    Percy was also at the bank. She had lived in Deep River, Connecticut. She was a very smart
    lady. Her husband worked for a firm that made piano keys. She remembered seeing elephant
    tusks there. Every night we went upstairs to her sitting room. She loved to play cards and I did
    also. I taught her to play cribbage. Red told me to let her win. I said, "I don't have to. She
    beats me." One night she got the perfect score. She lived to be 103 years and was always as
    sharp as they come. You learn very much from people like her

    One night when I arrived at the Saunders home, Mrs. Saunders was asleep in her chair. That
    was fortunate because the inside door was ajar and the kitchen window was open. I knew
    something was amiss. Her purse lay open by her side. Barbara (her daughter) and George
    (her son-in-law) were in Florida. I called the police. They came and went over the whole
    house. It was a large Victorian. The robbers had been in every room, including the attic. They
    had moved every mattress. They didn't get much. Just a small clock and some money that
    had been in her purse. They didn't touch the silver of which there was plenty. It was all
    monogrammed.. Maybe that's why they didn't take it. When I came at night, a car was parked
    over near the town park. (Her house was at the corner of Emmons Street and Walnut Street,
    right near the park.) That kept me on edge for a while.

    I also had a day case which I did with Helen' Northrop's mother in Hopedale. I was with her the
    day the Blizzard of '78 started. I went to the drug store for Helen and I got stuck on some ice. I
    finally got back to Helen and then started for home. I got up as far as Economy Cleaners at
    Route 140 and Water Street. I couldn't see at all. I parked and went in to call my husband. I
    asked "Moody" Dederian if I could leave my car there. He had been a classmate of mine and
    he allowed me to. Red picked me up at about four.

    I was staying nights with Mrs. Saunders at that time. George and Barbara were in Florida, so
    she was alone. Red called Ben and asked him to drive me over there. He had chains on his
    car. First we went up Claflin Hill to pick up Karen who lived next to him. Then we went through
    Main Street, down through Lincoln Square and up to Walnut Street. What a ride! We got
    there at night. When I got out of the car the snow was up to my hips but I managed to get to
    her front door. I was there all week with her. I would walk to the market at the corner of
    Purchase and Spruce. Red was home coping with all the kids.

    Red's first job was at Werber & Rose Furniture. They sent him to New Jersey to learn
    installing of linoleum, which became his life's work. After the war he went to Drapers for a
    while. He left and got a job at Colonial Floors in Framingham and then at Stone's in Hopedale.
    The last place he worked was at Robertson's. There wasn't a man around who worked harder
    than him. He worked nights and some weekends for Lapointe's Furniture in Northbridge. He
    said once he worked in every house in Northbridge. He was featured in Congoleum National's
    newsletter for his expertise. He had done a floor for a district manager's home in Wellesley.

    Red built our home by himself. We bought the land from his father. We paid $250.00 for 1/4
    acre. We got the bank loan of $5,000 from Milford Federal Savings Bank. Frank Boyer was on
    the board of directors and he vouched that if George Phillips supervised it, it would be built
    right. My Uncle Wendell's office drew up the house plans. Brother Ben helped with electrical
    work. My cousin Arthur Lapworth helped with carpentry work. Red got the bank to take off the
    last $500.00 which they didn't want to do. Over the years he changed so much. He added a
    breezeway and garage. Next he turned that into a larger kitchen. He also added a half- bath
    and a family room. Then he added a porch off of the family room and a patio off the porch.

    When the kitchen was to be painted, I had seen what I liked in a book at the Milford Federal
    Bank There was a big swath of cream and bright blue. Mr. Mongiat let me take the book to
    show the idea to my father. He mixed his own colors It worked very well. Red's sister made me
    some beautiful curtains for the kitchen. They were white dotted Swiss with rows of bright blue
    on hems and valences.

    Our children are William "Billy," Frances Elliott, George, Cora Dubois, Mary Laronga, Richard
    "Dicky," Jane Parks, Edward (deceased), Marilyn, Harold "Ted" or "Harry," and Margaret
    "Peg" Sacco. We took them everywhere; the beach, the mountains, New York City, Niagara
    Falls, the World's Fair in Montreal. I have 22 grandchildren, 23 great-great grandchildren,
    and two great-great-great grandchildren.

    With so many children, Red bought a Volkswagon bus. He took us to New York for a day and
    we went up the Empire State Building. At the time when we had seven children, we took them
    to Niagara Falls, up the Mohawk Trail, Mount Greylock, the Cape Cod beaches, the Old Man
    of the Mountains, any new highway being built, like the Kangamangus Highway, and Route

    When the movie cameras came out Red bought one. There was no sound with them then.
    We have many pictures of Christmas, birthdays and outings. The 8mm were small reels. Red
    spliced many together onto big reels. Later Morins added music and put them on video.
    They're a wonder to look back on.

    The Rockwoods lived in a trailer across from us. They were retired. They were Helen Allen's
    parents. Mrs. Rockwood said to me one day, "Harold does a day's work before he goes to
    work." He kept up the yard religiously. He always planted a big garden. One thing I remember
    that he'd plant was watermelons. When he was at Drapers, he played on the softball team. He
    was good. Later he took up golf. He was good at that too. He won the club championship. He
    had set his mind on that. On the day of the championship he had all of us follow him around
    the course. Bob Phillips remarked, "He is a fox. He intimidated his opponents by having all of
    you there."  He always had to have some kind of a project to work on; especially in the house
    in the winter. He always had something torn apart. Well, I finally got wise and put a stop to

    Baseball was a big part of our lives. Red's father played in the old Blackstone Valley League,
    and Red played for another valley group. He also played softball for a league at Drapers. Our
    oldest son, Billy, played in Little League for "The Food Center," which was on Mendon Street
    at the time. It was owned by Rico Calarese. It has since been torn down. Rico offered an ice
    cream for every home run. Well, Billy was good. He hit one at every game; sometime three.
    He also played for the churches, the Elks, and the Peewee League in Milford. He was a
    pitcher. He'd walk the bases full and then when he was warmed up he'd strike out everyone.
    No one could hit him. On Sunday at Mass Father Foran would announce the results from the

    Our son George came next. He was very good too. He played for the Legion in Milford and
    also for St. Mary's High School. Once in a Little League regional game in Northborough the
    umpire was very biased on his calls. The crowd got on him verbally. At the end of the game
    (which we lost) they had the police come to escort him off the field.

    Billy and George made a baseball diamond out back of our house. There was always a game
    going on there. There was a big tree way down the field. It was always a challenge as to who
    could hit the ball over it. My husband loved to do that with his nephew Bobby Phillips. Bobby
    was a great player. He made it to the minors. It was a very fun time.

    When my youngest daughter Peggy was six, I hired Whytes to bring their ponies down for her
    party. Well, that was a big hit. I think they only charged $15.00. Many years later I tried to do
    the same for a granddaughter. No way- too much liability.

    I remember the day Roy Morriseau was killed. He was 12. The boys were at Allen's playing
    board games at the picnic table. Roy got on his bike and went to cross Route 140 to his
    house and was hit by a car. He was killed instantly. What a tragedy! It left quite a mark on
    everyone. He was an only child. His father died a few years later.

    Red bought a little more land twice from his mother. Clarence Varney bought the land in back
    from his father and gave it to the town.  Methinks the town had that done. They didn't want
    any more new houses. Howard Fafard was after that land. Glad that didn't happen. The
    Phillipses  grew up on that land and had many big gardens. They had to work on them too.
    They'd be digging potatoes and brother George would put a dollar bill in the dirt and say,
    "Look what I found. You should have dug over here." I got the idea of naming the field
    Phillips. Three of them were in the service. Judge Larkin took it from there and made it

    In his later years Red would write poems, usually about family members. They were quite
    good too.

    Red's brother, Ben, was quite a character. If he was around, you heard him. He worked at
    Drapers, in the garage. He was also a member of the Sewer Commission. He pushed for the
    new sewer plant years ago. Nobody pushed Ben around. Once he drove the school bus.
    Well, on South Main Street he let the kids off on the side of the street they lived on. He wasn't
    going to let them cross 140 in front of the bus. Well, that was the one and only time he drove
    the bus. He was honored by the town with a gravestone with "Mr. Hopedale" on it. He was all
    "bluster." Charlie Espanet told me, "Ben did more for the kids in Hopedale than anyone will
    ever know."

    Another time Paul Trautwein drove the school bus. He told me some kids were bullying
    another kid. He said, "Your Billy got up and told those kids, 'Pick on me. If I ever hear about
    you again you'll answer to me.'"  That's what should be happening today.

    A few years ago my Billy's neighbor came home from the service. He told Billy that he had
    met someone who spoke very highly of him. I don't know who it was but, the boy whom Billy
    had spoken up for on the school bus years ago who was being bullied. People never forget a

    Hopedale was very biased. They used to have school on Good Friday. If you were absent,
    they marked you absent. Father Dennis O'Brien subbed at the high school one time in the
    1970s. In my mind that was an event. Ben Phillips was dropping off his wife at church right
    after and said, "I'm tired. I've been up all night in the cemetery stomping all the graves that
    turned over."

    Many years ago my cousin, Eben Lapworth thought he'd pull a fast one on the "town fathers."
    No one paid attention to elections in town. Everyone knew it didn't matter because "the town
    fathers" ran everything. You paid your taxes and water bills at the main office of Drapers.
    Well, he got the bright idea to write in his name on the ballot for selectman. "They" got wind
    of it and unloaded the shop to go vote. That was the end of Eben's run.

    Hopedale, though, was a wonderful town to bring up a family. In the summer, a school bus
    would come and take the kids to the park for activities and for swimming at the pond. I didn't
    drive so that was something special. I never heard of any other town that did that. There
    were swimming lessons and contests at the season's end. There was a softball league for
    girls. Of course there was a great school system and there were congenial policemen.

    I remember my great-aunt Annie very well. She was a Phillips, but not related to my husband.
    My mother was a Phillips; Annie's niece. As I mentioned before, Aunt Annie worked for the
    Clare and Mathilda Drapers. They were a wonderful family. Their son William painted Annie's
    portrait. I have a copy of it. They gave her a pension. They came to visit her often. Growing
    up in her household, I met the sons William, Clare and George, and George's wife, Sophie
    Whitin. She was from the Whitin family of Whitinsville. Annie went to their wedding, and some
    of them went to her funeral. The Draper's daughter Grace got a divorce in Reno and Annie
    went with her. In 1969, their son Harry, who was a pilot (retired) for American Airlines, shot
    and killed his wife and himself. They had been living in Beverly. His wife was a very beautiful
    Boston debutante. She and her family were so well known that Ambassador and Mrs. Henry
    Cabot Lodge attended her funeral.

From a tintype of Annie Phillips at age 12.

Annie's portrait by William Draper.

    The Draper family went to Hyannisport for the summer. They had a beautiful "cottage" on a
    curved high spot. Annie used to meet "Honey Fitz" (Rose Kennedy's father) on the beach. Gene
    Mantoni from Mendon was the gardener. He came to Annie's house to advise her. She had many
    flowers, flowering bushes, and trees. Mr. Durgin and Louis Pratt from Milford were chauffeurs. We
    went down the Cape with Annie to visit many times. One time Mrs. Draper invited my sister Nancy
    to stay the summer. They all treated her royally, including having a party for her on her birthday.
    They took her everywhere the family went. Yes, they were an exceptional family to say the least.

    Aunt Annie was always very political. When she was living in Boston with the Drapers, they made
    sure that she had election day off so that she could get to Milford to vote. In the summer at
    Hyannisport when she'd meet "Honey Fitz" on the beach, she'd have great discussions with him.

    Bob Phillips, the Hopedale town clerk some years ago, was Annie's nephew and my cousin.
    Wendell Phillips, the architect, was his father and Annie's brother. Annie never married.

    I have a letter written by William Draper to Bob, when Bob was the town clerk, asking for a
    birth certificate. It was a nice letter saying Annie would forever be in their hearts. He enclosed
    his address and invited him to visit if he ever came to New York.

    The Drapers moved to a beautiful apartment on Berkeley Street in Boston. Annie went too. I
    remember visiting her there. Annie told about Gloria Swanson flying in to the Kennedys in her
    seaplane one summer at the Cape. We all know about Joe Kennedy.

    Clare, Sr. had two different size feet so every time he bought shoes, he'd order two pair; one
    for each foot size. Annie would bring home the other ones. She always managed to have
    someone very happy to get a pair of beautiful new shoes even if one was slightly larger

    Annie's sister was Mrs. Sunmer Lapworth. She lived at 25 Daniels Street in Hopedale. Eben
    and Arthur were two of their children. We were a close family. I used to go swimming at
    Hopedale Pond. You had to be a Hopedale resident to swim there, so I'd give my address as
    Daniels Street. (More on the Lapworths)

    We don't have people like Annie any more. She was born in Ireland and came here as a
    baby. When her mother died in childbirth, Annie was 16. She took over and brought up all of
    her siblings. She kept them together; all eight of them. In the 30's she bought a house. I just
    remember going to the bank for her to pay the mortgage. Now I wonder how a single woman
    in those days was able to buy a house. I think her brother Wendell may have had a hand in

    A priest at St. Mary's in Milford got Wendell into Notre Dame College. He became a church
    architect and did very well. He knew what Annie had done for him. When he was gravely ill, he
    wanted Annie and her sister Cora to stay at his home. He was very good to all the family He
    had a place at Nantasket Beach. I got to go down every summer for two weeks. My father
    didn't have a job during the depression so Wendell hired him to drive him everywhere. He
    designed many churches in Connecticut. The diocese head used to be in Springfield.  
    Wendell had a sister who lived in Springfield and she remarked how differently she got
    treated when they learned that Wendell was her brother.

    Wendell had six boys. The oldest, Wendell, Jr., was in the Air Corps during World War II. He
    was lost over the North Sea. Donald married Helen Flanagan. Richard was a minor league
    umpire. And as I mentioned before, Bob was the town clerk in Hopedale.

John F. "Honey Fitz" Fitzgerald.

    The former Wendell Phillips house, next to Edwards
    Funeral Home, on Congress Street, Milford. The Wendell
    Phillips, Jr. Square marker can be seen from the house.

    My church is Sacred Heart in Hopedale. The first Catholic church was the old Hopedale High
    School. The first pastor was Father Donahue. He was a great friend of my Uncle Wendell, so
    he designed the church. As a child, I went to St. Mary's. Father Donahue had a commanding
    voice. We were all afraid of him. He came to my religion class and asked us where we were
    born. I answered, "America." My friend sitting next to me said, "You were not. You were born
    in Milford." Well anyway, later I was at Wendell's house at a time when Father Donahue was
    there. He said, "Oh, this is the girl who was born in America."

    You must remember Father Connellan. Who could forget him? Well, anyway one Saturday at
    confession one of my kids was there. He told me that he saw Joe Perry come flying out of the
    confessional with Father Connellan up the aisle and out the door after him.

    Our present pastor, Father Konicki is a gem. I used to go to Mass every morning, but I
    haven't since September. I had a melanoma spot on my ankle removed at Mass General and
    could not put any weight on my foot. My daughter drove up from Florida to take care of me
    for two months. I can't seem to rise early anymore.

    My favorite place to go in Boston is the Isabella Stuart Gardener Museum. The last occasion
    was my birthday. We used the library's passes from Hopedale and Milford, and my admission
    was free because it was on my birthday. They had just finished the renovation. Well anyway,
    we had lunch in the new lovely restaurant. As we were finishing, the waiter, Daniel, came in
    singing "happy birthday" with a lighted candle on a cupcake. What a beautiful baritone-tenor
    voice he had. The whole place fell silent. I never heard happy birthday sung so beautifully.  I
    was speechless. As were we all.

Wendell Phillips                 Memories Menu                     HOME   

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.