The Hopedale Town Park was built in 1900 – 1901, according to a plan designed by landscape architect Warren Henry Manning. The stone walls were built by stones removed to clear the site. The house at the upper left was the home of Charles Roper. The next one was built and occupied by Edwin Darling. Darling took the photos seen on this page. The pictures were glass negatives, given to the Bancroft Library by Darling’s adopted daughter, Hester Chilson. Most of those were taken from his backyard, looking down at the new park during the first decade of the twentieth century. The white duplex was built by Henry Patrick, to rent to his employees. The house to the right of the duplex was the home of Mrs. Darling’s parents.

In the two pictures above, you can see a platform that was evidently used for bands before the bandstand was built. It was built in 1906, and can be seen in the next picture.

.

Hopedale Town Park

Photos from the Bancroft Library

More photos from the Edwin Darling negatives     Miscellaneous        Hopedale Pond

Draper Company     Hopedale Buildings

Park, Pond and Sports Menu         Short Stories and Pictures Menu 

     HOME